PDA

View Full Version : building a hybrid

250x_kyle
11-15-2007, 07:01 PM
im going to build a hybrid this winter. i was wondering if there were any write ups anyone would like to see on tare down of the 400ex or re asembly even moddifications. just let me know. i will be selling a 2002 400ex motor carb and wireing if anyones interested.

The plan is to tare my 2002 400ex down gusset and modify my frame to hold a yz426 or 450f motor. Im going to tare the quad down completely and strip the frame. weld the gusset kit in then set the motor in with the swingarm and axel on to align the chain and sprockets then making mounts(motor radiator anything ouse that might need changed) Might make a flip top subframe while im at it. then after the frame moddifications im droping it off at my friends house for pc. while the frame and subframe are off for powder im going to tig weld up an aluminum airbox. once i get the frame and that back i will bolt up the rearend throw the rear plastics on i will make a mid pipe and the kick start extender. once i get it this far i will basically be ready to assemble. Yes i know i didnt list all the moddifications needed i just summed it up so this isnt a mile long. secondly i will keep pictures updated as the build goes on. so if there is any pictures or write ups wanted let me know.

Pipeless416
11-15-2007, 07:24 PM
tearing a 400ex down is a very straight forward process... just take bolts out and things fall off.. also, there is a hybrid section where you might find more help as far as the fabrication part goes.

250x_kyle
11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
fabrication isnt realy going to be a problem. i looked there for the basic mount ideas . other than that once i set the motor in its strait forward. tare down will be easy because i already had the frozen swingarm bolt that i removed over the summer :D . im siked. im 16 so this should be an interesting build plus im using it tward my senior project.

Pipeless416
11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
sounds good. keep us updated!

400exMO
11-16-2007, 01:20 AM
just search the threads on this site, lots of good information.
and def. keep us updated.

Rootar
11-16-2007, 05:56 AM
i might mention that ill be parting out and selling my red hybrid, Ive been racing alot of XC lately and there is no sense in an 18 year old college student have 4 quads (three are built to the hilt) so i trying to get down to two quads one xc bike (my 416) and one mx bike (my PRP crf). Ive went through all the problems and everything is sorted out on this bike, I can honestly say the frame is solid now this would take a ton of guess work out of it and make it alot easier. It took me over a year of constantly sorting out problems on this bike to get it where its at now and its great. Later over the next week or so i will post everything i have up forsale (2 bikes in parts, and one 05 400ex).

250x_kyle
12-13-2007, 10:18 AM
tare down is starting in 2 weeks.

project400ex19
12-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
i might mention that ill be parting out and selling my red hybrid, Ive been racing alot of XC lately and there is no sense in an 18 year old college student have 4 quads (three are built to the hilt) so i trying to get down to two quads one xc bike (my 416) and one mx bike (my PRP crf). Ive went through all the problems and everything is sorted out on this bike, I can honestly say the frame is solid now this would take a ton of guess work out of it and make it alot easier. It took me over a year of constantly sorting out problems on this bike to get it where its at now and its great. Later over the next week or so i will post everything i have up forsale (2 bikes in parts, and one 05 400ex).

do you have anymore pics of that beast. :macho