PDA

View Full Version : what mods should i start with first

01440ex
11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
i have an 01 400 ex with a 440 kit in it...everything else is stock on it im pretty sure...what should i start with exhaust, extened a-arms, what...i dont know where to start...some help would be great im open for any advice anybody has

exrider12
11-15-2007, 05:20 PM
full exhaust , air filter, and a jet kit. that should rly wake up that 440

honda8&3
11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
1. Skid plates (protect your investment)
2. Suspension (450r fronts and get them revalved and resprung by C&DRACING)
3. HMF slip on with an FMF Powerbomb header to wake up the 440 a little bit more.

;)

11-15-2007, 06:44 PM
^^^^ is the right order, but i am not sold on the 40r shocks(never rode with them though) or the hmf...again, never rode with one

stay away from the dynojet kits and their rebadges(K&n and the rest). check out http://www.jetsrus.com/main_page.htm then read the FAQ about jets and jetting to the left of the page.

suspension will make you go faster than any intake/exhaust mods. the suspension is good, but when set up for you, with better components, the bike handles much better. it don't matter how fast you can go if you can't take a turn at that speed. if you have to slow for a turn, your speed will be the same in that turn with or without the added power.

honda8&3
11-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
^^^^ is the right order, but i am not sold on the 40r shocks(never rode with them though) or the hmf...again, never rode with one

Ya speedy showed me that order. From what I have heard the 450r shocks (when they are revalved and resprung) are great for what you pay for. And the HMF I hear is great with the powerbomb. But I don't know his budget. For a low budget that would be the way to go IMO.:cool: :)

11-15-2007, 06:54 PM
i can almost say for certain that those that tell ya to do exhaust first have never ridden on an aftermarket suspension

honda8&3
11-15-2007, 06:56 PM
i can almost say for certain that those that tell ya to do exhaust first have never ridden on an aftermarket suspension

Ya definetly right there. You gotta protect it then make it ride nice then some performance. Plus it is already a 440 so it isn't entirely stock.

AtvMxRider
11-15-2007, 07:02 PM

Exactly.

tanner 222
11-15-2007, 07:29 PM
yup suspension is key no matter what kind of riding you do. if you ride mx you shouldnt even think about doing the suspension cuz those 400ex are s*** on the track. i wouldnt even spend money on a pipe, you already have the 440 kit which will get you far just with that. after suspension i would buy some a-arms and axle to widen er out a bit but it also depends on what you ride. i only ride mx so those are my 2 concerns. thats just my 2 cents

exrider49
11-15-2007, 07:43 PM
if you are goin to race mx get a-arms, axle, and aftermarket shocks, dont get 450r shocks re valved and re sprung they wont compare to after market and there not even made for your bike, you will be alot faster with a wider quad with good suspension then a quad with lots of power because that power isnt gonna do no good if you cant hit corners fast and hit jumps w/o bottoming out...ive been in ur posotion and suspension and widening your quad is the best improvement

01440ex
11-18-2007, 03:35 PM
i do mostly trail riding not any racing yet...but i would love to get into it...i drag race bikes right now and would like to get into some mx races

01440ex
11-18-2007, 03:37 PM
so a suspension and then some exhaust and jetting with a filter...sounds like a good ideal... isnt the suspension really expensive...any suggestions on what brands and setup to use...im new in the quad world thats why im asking all these questions

trx400EXtreme
11-18-2007, 04:20 PM
yes suspension can get quite pricey. the best shocks for the price that i can find are the PEP sport/race series. $650 for the front pair. Works shocks are cheaper but ive had a thousand people tell me "stay away from works".

honda8&3
11-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Get some TCS shocks. They're are fairly cheap and are excellent shocks. Or Elka has a good low buget series shocks. Just search around and feel free to ask questions. But if you really want cheap but effective 450r or YFZ450 shocks work excellent IMO.

11-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by exrider12
full exhaust , air filter, and a jet kit. that should rly wake up that 440

x2