PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

Jub04Cobra
11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
My brother owns the same quad as me, its an 04 LTZ 400. He went to start it the other day and it would not start. The battery is fine and it has a brand new spark plug. It sounds like it wants to kick over but it doesnt and it usually then floods. The funny thing is that it will roll-start and once it is running for about 15 minutes, you can shut it off and then it will fire right up using the electric start. So, it will start by itself once it has been warmed up, but it wont when its cold. If anyone can help, it would be great. Thanks

JERSEY99
11-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Clean the carb and you will be good.

drzoo2
11-16-2007, 07:11 AM
It's your valves. This is the symptom of a cupped valve or they are really out of spec. Check them.

z

soberagain150
11-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by drzoo2
It's your valves. This is the symptom of a cupped valve or they are really out of spec. Check them.

z

its not your carb... its your valves, they are probably out of spec or cupped. get them adjusted imediately! the motor is a ticking time bomb if you run it with bad valves or improper valve clearance. if you have to replace the valves (which i would) buy the kibblewhite valves.

drksuroo
11-29-2007, 05:22 PM
New here '05 KFX I may be having the same problem. Takes 5 minutes to start when cold. Seems like it's flooding then finally starts. Then works fine. Replaced the spark plug and not much change. I also don't think my choke does anything. Valves for me too?

drzoo2
11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by drksuroo
New here '05 KFX I may be having the same problem. Takes 5 minutes to start when cold. Seems like it's flooding then finally starts. Then works fine. Replaced the spark plug and not much change. I also don't think my choke does anything. Valves for me too?

Maybe, Check your valve lash before jumping to any conclusions. Should be checked yearly anyway. If it's 0 then you may have a problem. They could just be out of spec

z

gutlassracing
12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
what should the valve lash be on a z400 ??? I am going to adjust mine just have zero clue what i am doing with this quad !! I check valve all the time on my race car so is it the same procedure ?? thanks

bloodmoney23
12-15-2007, 05:00 PM
well i dont know what the specs are for the Z400 but if you could find out the gaps just pop the valve cover off and use a feeler gauge. If its +/- .001 you are good if its +/-.002 your out of spec and it will run a little off. ill try to find the specs for you. And def 1st guy to post its your valves. sounds like the valaves are too tight to me.