PDA

View Full Version : Shortening Curtis Sparks ! NEED HELP !

liljhall09
11-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Okay i got a 2001 400ex with a Curtis Sparks X4 on it. I wanted to cut it and make it a shorty. I wanna know what you guys recommend and the best way to do it ??

Thanks

01440ex
11-15-2007, 04:28 PM
what do u think of the sparks do u like it...i have stock now and am looking to get an aftermark

CarGuy7a
11-15-2007, 04:44 PM
first question, why do you want to shorten it? what that does i'm not too sure.

but the way i would shorten one is i'd probably use like a band saw for cutting and shortening it then TIG weld it all back together.

TRX-330
11-15-2007, 04:48 PM
how dose the baffle come out. id take that out then cut the outside down to what u would like then find out how much of the baffle needs to be cut and putt it back in.
As much as i like the sparks i think they are to long prolly the same reason you want to shorten urs.

trx400EXtreme
11-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by 01440ex
what do u think of the sparks do u like it...i have stock now and am looking to get an aftermark ive never run sparks, but they are def. one of the best pipes out there IMO. but they can get pricey. get an HMF s/o for a couple hundred and you will be VERY happy. plus HMF has won "best pipe" in DIRTWHEELS.

drew416ex
11-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 01440ex
what do u think of the sparks do u like it...i have stock now and am looking to get an aftermark

I have a sparks and love it. It sounds great and makes tones of power.

drew416ex
11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
first question, why do you want to shorten it? what that does i'm not too sure.

but the way i would shorten one is i'd probably use like a band saw for cutting and shortening it then TIG weld it all back together.

I will be shortening mine soon because it keeps getting hit when I race. My tip looks like crap. I would prob use a chop saw or a band saw.

BigFish
11-15-2007, 05:40 PM
To turn your Sparks into a shorty (although mine is an X6) you will need to drill all of the rivets out (including badge). Disassemble the pipe. Use tape to tape where you want to cut the canister. Tape around the diameter of the pipe and make sure the tape meets up (this will act as a guide when you cut the pipe and assure u a straight cut). Use a bandsaw to cut. After u cut the canister, you will need to cut the same amount off the baffle (but on the opposite end). Then rewrap the baffle w/ silencer packing. Put the pipe back together and drill new mounting holes... Then rivot your new shorty together;)

As far as power (on a fully built 440)... lil peppier throttle response and nothing else... exhaust note also not as deep, and not much louder. Oh yea, this is w/ 5.5'' removed.

BigFish
11-15-2007, 05:41 PM
;)

bansheemorphine
11-15-2007, 07:10 PM
very nice 400 in my opinion thats one of the nicest on this site but that short little pipe must be loud as hell