PDA

View Full Version : Clutch has a hard pull

shadowwalker
11-15-2007, 02:01 PM
The clutch on my 400ex is really tight. It takes three fingers to pull and wears your hand out fast. I actually get cramps in my fingers for several hours after I get home from Riding. Is there anything I can do to try and make the pull lighter? Now that I think about it, it is an 01 and has the stock clutch. Would getting new plates help? What about a lever?

My dad just got a Cannondale Speed and it has a hydraulic clutch. I wish the 400 did.

AJG400
11-15-2007, 02:08 PM
get a easy pull clutch lever and lube ur cable that should make it easier. i have a msr raptor lever on mine and love it

NacsMXer
11-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Several options here. Lube your cable with a good cable lube/silicone spray. If that helps, cool. If it doesn't then try a new cable/lube it. A worn (grooved) clutch basket can also make the pull kind of rough. See, a worn clutch will chatter the plates against the fingers of the clutch basket and create grooves in it over time. When you pull the clutch in, the plates don't slide so smoothly over these grooves. This is why they make billet clutch baskets. You won't be able to tell this unless you tear it down to look at it though.

You can also just do away with the cable setup and put a Magura on your 400! That's what I did on mine and the pull is buttery smooth. Once you use one, I promise you won't want to go back to that old cable setup :D

shadowwalker
11-15-2007, 02:38 PM
thanks for the input. I am almost positive it is not an issue with the cable. If you barely wiggle the lever you can see the cable move and the spot the cable connects to the clutch will move freely up until the clutch actually begins to engage. Once the slack (for lack of a better word) is out, then it becomes hard to pull.

440challenger
11-15-2007, 04:30 PM
get a new OEM honda cable. (under 20$) i bet that will solve your problem. if its still to hard go with a msr raptor or an asv assembly.

AtvMxRider
11-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Sounds like a cable to me

86 Quad R
11-19-2007, 02:56 PM
i'm thinking cable aswell. a cable can slide back and forth but, still have lots of drag if not properly lubed or is in poor shape.