PDA

View Full Version : wiring kill switch

redexrider4290
11-15-2007, 09:56 AM
my buddy gave me a tether and i was wandering how i would wire it up to my 04 450r i don't know what kind it is but it looked like a tusk or something i has two black wires aobut 6-8 inches coming out of it

if someone could tell me how to wire it step by step, or some pics would really help

thanks

mcleod
11-15-2007, 10:51 AM
into the harness that goes into the OEM engine stop switch! there is 2 wire that you gonna need to hook to the black wire from the kill switch!

it's a black with a white stripe and a green wire! you could cut and solder the side from the quad to the black wire! or only splice them and hook the kill switch to!

cutting them gonna cancel the engine stop switch fonction and gonna only work with the kill switch.

splice them gonna work for both of them!

no mather wich black one wire to wich wire! the only thing you need to know is that when green is shorted with the black with white stripe that stop the engine :P

i hope it's gonna help you.

11-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Make sure you splice the wire that comes out of the metal side of the switch to the green wire. If you do it the other way you will get the shock of your life when you touch the switch.

redexrider4290
11-15-2007, 11:39 AM
alright mcleod i'm sorry but i could not understant what the heck you were trying to say i am still very very unsure?

mcleod
11-16-2007, 10:33 AM
remove tape on wire loom that came from the stock engine stop switch and lighting control ! you gonna find the 2 wire in that loom.

just splice both wire i mentionned before, and solder the black wire on them!

that isnt hard to do!

here is a HOW-TO

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1735

-=Killswitch info with the key=-

1)Trace the wires from the stop switch (mounted on handle bars) to the white connector mounted to the left hand side of frame.(under hood)
note:the wires from the stop switch splits off (2) directions,1 set to the head light assembly,& the other to the white connector.

2)look for the black wire with white tracer.

3)splice,connect,or solder (1) wire from kill switch to the black wire with white tracer on the stop switch side of connector.

4)then ground the other wire from the kill switch to the frame.

redexrider4290
11-19-2007, 11:45 AM
so you just use the wires from the stock killswitch (i mean that thing with a red switch that you push from side to side to turn off and center to run)?

so there is 3 wires in the stock killswitch and you just wire the 2 and ground the other?

does it matter wich wires you wire together from the tether and the stock kill switch?

yfz450admirer
11-21-2007, 11:55 PM
I just wired mine last night. Cut the black and white wire coming from the stock kill switch (red knob on the handlebars). Connect one black wire from the tether, the one that is not coming out of the metal to the black and white wire (fuse all of these three ends together, one from tether and both ends of the black and white wire that you just cut).

Take the other black wire from the tether (the one coming out of the metal) and ground it to the headlight bolt.

redexrider4290
11-22-2007, 10:34 AM
i forgot to mention but i want to keep my key to

11-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Here is how to do it. There are 4 wires that come off the key switch. A red. green, black and black with a white stripe. You will be using the green and the black with a white stripe. Splice the green wire to the ground side of the switch and the black with a white stripe to the hot side.

redexrider4290
11-27-2007, 09:59 AM
alright guys,

I hooked this thing up like you guys said, spliced the black/white wire and green wire to the killswitch and it didn't work. the only thing i could get it to do was hook the killswithch up and the bike would run with the tether out but when i put it in it shut the bike off?

My body said the killswitch worked it looks like it would i mean its not all busted up or anything.

i guess i could just leave it like that and try to jam the tether into the killswitch when i fall off:p

no but seriously i could not get it to work no matter how i hooked it up it was like it was backwards or something ( tether out=runs, tether in= shuts off)

please help

redexrider4290
11-28-2007, 09:49 AM
anyone give me some info please

is the switch itself bad?

anyone with any info would really be areciated

11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I know there are 2 different kind of kill switches. One is positive ground and the other is negative ground. I don't know whos switch is positive ground or which one is negative ground. The directions I gave you is to wire a Pro-Design kill switch. Whatever type of switch you have must be the oppisite of whaterver type a Pro-design is.

redexrider4290
11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
so what does that mean

the switch would also shut the bike off when i grounded it out to a nut with the tether in?

need some help

it looks like a tusk kill switch looked at it on rockymountain and it looks exactly like the tusk they sell

redexrider4290
11-29-2007, 11:41 AM
anyone?