PDA

View Full Version : Painted Plastics!

99banshee
11-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I was wantin to know what's the best way to paint the plactics on my banshee and also wantin to see if any of u guys have pics of any atv that has plastics that have been painted? Thanks in advance!

AJG400
11-14-2007, 11:01 PM
i painted some plastic for my 400 because they were painted by the previous owner and were chipped up. i don't kno how he prepped it tho. i feathered out all the scratches with a DA and then scuffed all the plastic with a scotch pad and then sprayed about 4-5 coats of krylon fusion on them. they came out looking pretty good but i traded them to a buddy who hasn't rode with them yet so i don't know how they are holding up

300exOH
11-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Do a search for krylon fusion...there should be several posts on the subject. Prep is the key to making it hold up but if you ride trails I can bet it won't last long. If you ride sand it might hold up for a while though. My step dad use to work for rubbermaid and they did extensive testing with krylon fusion and the results were less than great. They tested it on several common types of plastic and most didn't last long out in the elements...and they weren't running the stuff through mud,sticks and rocks.

roadthrills
11-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Clean, clean, clean. Go over all the plastic with 400 wet grit or just a red scotchbite pad if it isn't scratched up that bad. Wipe it all down with alcohol. Spray it down with Bulldog adhesion promoter. This stuff works great and you can buy it at Wal-mart, Auto-Zone, etc. Now you're ready to paint with base/clear, Dupli-color, or whatever your heart desires.

xrdrsux
11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by roadthrills
Clean, clean, clean. Go over all the plastic with 400 wet grit or just a red scotchbite pad if it isn't scratched up that bad. Wipe it all down with alcohol. Spray it down with Bulldog adhesion promoter. This stuff works great and you can buy it at Wal-mart, Auto-Zone, etc. Now you're ready to paint with base/clear, Dupli-color, or whatever your heart desires.
chip chip chip crack crack crack. do not do base and clear if you dont prep it right. you can however do the krylon fusion with just prepping it like said above but i would use a chemical called TSP you can get it at Ace hardware and other places. Spray it first with the adhesive promotor then the spraypaint. Allow 7 or 8 days to cure completely.

roadthrills
11-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by xrdrsux
chip chip chip crack crack crack. do not do base and clear if you dont prep it right. you can however do the krylon fusion with just prepping it like said above but i would use a chemical called TSP you can get it at Ace hardware and other places. Spray it first with the adhesive promotor then the spraypaint. Allow 7 or 8 days to cure completely.

Apparently you've never used Bulldog. This stuff adheres tenaciously to anything. I have used it over silicone to paint around my windows!! It also contains a mild flex agent, which means no cracking. Look at my 250X project thread for pics. It's the silver one with dual exhaust.

xrdrsux
11-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by roadthrills
Apparently you've never used Bulldog. This stuff adheres tenaciously to anything. I have used it over silicone to paint around my windows!! It also contains a mild flex agent, which means no cracking. Look at my 250X project thread for pics. It's the silver one with dual exhaust.
ohh yea i have used it. I actually bought a few cans when they were on clearance the other week. Yes it will stick to almost anything but if you use base coat clear coat automotive paint it wont ever last in a real flexing situation. chevrolet dealerships dont used bulldog when painting bumpers on chevy avalances. They use Urethane supply company bumper cladding and adhesive primer. 52 bucks a quart. best stuff on the market. I would guarantee you can go in any body shop that is reputable and see some cans of this laying around before you will see bulldog. If you are using krylon sure go ahead with the bulldog but if you are spending some cheese on some real paint why settle for something that may work for a while. The body shops dont. That bumper cladding sticks to TPO plastics.. You cant find hardly anything that will bond with TPO. This stuff wont come off except by sanding.