PDA

View Full Version : 450r Head Question

ryan2121
11-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Ok heres where I am I floated the valves in my 05' 450r. Which destroyed my head. I recently purchased a new head off of an 06' 450r. These look almost identical except a few things. The angle the exhaust port comes out looks to be a little different so im not sure how that will do. And also the alignment pins in the head and the jug are on opposite corners between the 05' and06' which im thinking i can have a machine shop drill the head for the other two pins. Has anyone done this before or know anything about these two that I dont. I would appreciate any info. THANKS

jason_david1
11-18-2007, 09:43 PM
sell the 06 head and buy one for the 05.

Scro
11-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by jason_david1
sell the 06 head and buy one for the 05.

Yep, it's not going to work.

ryan2121
11-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Ok.. we sat around for a while and decided to go ahead and try this . The first problem we ran into was the alignment pins in the head and jug being different we had them redrilled and it seemed to bolt up just fine. Then there was the exhaust we had to bend the head pipe a little to get it to bolt up. it fits now and no leaks. and the intake we had to get a new piece of tubing to run from the head to the carb and after that everything was the same. It started up first kick and runs great I dont really see any power difference between the 05' and 06' but it runs.

Big - D Racing
11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
you are probably looking at some problems in the future. The 05 and 06 have many differences, I wouldn't mess around with mixing and matching with the engine.

kfxrules
11-25-2007, 02:32 PM
your running into some really tight tolerances now with the piston and your valves on the -06 head... your gonna shank it when you float the valves when you get a little to iffy on the top end racin or ridin whatever the like.

blacknblue#2
02-23-2008, 02:09 AM
ill just add some little .02 cents on this old topic. This quad with the 06 head on it has been completed since mid november. Its one of my best friends and before the head exchange it was an 05 with Hot rods crank, Athena 480 kit and kibblewhite valves and valve springs. It broke the valve on a trail ride one day when this engine had a maximum of 15 hours on it and junked everything from the crankcase up i was the one that pulled the head off of it. Now it has a hot rods crank, athena 480 kit, the 06 head and kibblewhite valves and let me say i have spent alot of seat time on this quad before the head-swap and after and it runs twice as good with the 06 head, i dont know what it is but ill swear to it. Yeah im a machinist and i told him when he built it that he was gonna be dealing with alot of different stuff he couldnt see with the naked eye but he went on and dont regret it. We have rode this thing hard and hung it up wet it the past almost 4 months and we cant tear it up. This guy has two speeds, Idle or wide open and one outlook, jump it or go home and retire. He is one of the guys that could tear up an Anvil with a Glass hammer and this quad starts second kick everytime still with not a single noise to the engine. Now he wants to send the 06 head off for a port and polish cause he has gotten used to the power and says if just a different stock head made that much difference he cant imagine a port and polish job on this head. If you dont care to do a little rigger niggin on something just to see what you can discover i wouldnt be scared to recommend the 06+ head. Yes its gonna take some machining so i dont require just anyone trying it but if you got access to a Mill operator who knows what he is doing youll be fine. but yes you will need a custom intake cause the angle of the inlet for the carb is different and dont match the the 05 frame

JOEX
02-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda did change the ports of the 450r head.

There are some pics/drawings around here somewhere, I think GPRacer2500 posted them.