PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate Monitor...

JRP
11-14-2007, 08:00 PM
does anyone use them to train with? Ive gotten with a trainer from racerxvt.com and he gave me a pretty good plan to go off of. he set up 5 diff zones i should be in while training, and the zones go off your BPM. Im thinking about picking up a Polar monitor for about 100 bucks tomorrow.

sly400ex
11-15-2007, 05:22 AM
I bought a Polar monitor years ago, it didn't seem very accurate. I returned it.

quad2xtreme
11-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Jordan,

I started wearing a heart monitor after Chris Earlywine passed away. It is a Polar unit that costs $100. It seems extremely accurate to me. I've tested it against actual readings my wife does...she is a registered nurse.

BTW, I was surprised to find how high my heartrate is when riding versus running on an elliptical trainer. I've pulled off the track or slowed down many times since having it. I was chasing a rider around the track for 2 laps once and looked down and had a reading of 226.

Edit: additional info...mine is a strap that goes around your chest and then transmits wireless to a watch you wear.

/Jon

54warrior
11-15-2007, 06:10 AM
This is interesting. It's something like this that most would never think of. I was on the treadmill the other night and was up to 200.

What is a 'safe' number? I'm sure age/size/weight has something to do with it as well, correct?

bwamos
11-15-2007, 06:15 AM
I use this one. Polar S150 heart rate monitor & cyclo computer.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600082&subcategory=60001035&brand=&sku=6653&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Cyclocomputers

It's a heart rate monitor and a cyclocomputer that can mount onto your bars. It uses a wireless chest strap. Supprisingly very comfortable (included). The bike mounting, monitor, chest strap etc.. all included. You can custom set it up for your trainign sessions, target rates, and save recorded sessions for future reference, etc. About the only thing it doesnt have is cadence metering, but you're not gonna be pedaling your atv.. lol.

And to top it all off, it's only $79.95

Toadz400
11-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Would vibrations from the engine affect the readings at all?

416exfreak
11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
This is interesting. It's something like this that most would never think of. I was on the treadmill the other night and was up to 200.

What is a 'safe' number? I'm sure age/size/weight has something to do with it as well, correct?

Age has more to do with the "safe" heart rate than anything else.

When Im running, I try to keep mine between 180 and 195.
Ive checked mine when im riding before and just counting to the best of my shaking abilities, it was closer to 210. :eek2:

Go here to see what your safe rate is...

Notice this while you read
<br>
<b>Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age. The figures above are averages, so use them as general guidelines.</b>

<a href="http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4736">Heart rate chart</a>

JRP
11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
im going to the "fitness resource" here in town tomorrow after school and checking out one. Im looking to spend around 100 dollars.

check out www.racerxvt.com for good training info, and this website for a calculator for those who want to train right for this upcomming season!

http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer/HR_Calculator.html

on the off season, while running, you want to stay in zone 3, and dont go under, or over that. About a month or two before race season starts, thats when you want to start interval training and fluxuate between zone 3, 4, and 5. The longer you can stay in your aerobic cycle longer while you race, then you will be able to go WFO alot more before your anerobic kicks in. Just a few things i learned my talking to Tim Crytser on the phone the other day.

bwamos
11-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Would vibrations from the engine affect the readings at all?

Not at all. It doesn't detect vibrations. It detects the elecrical discharg of the nerves the fire when your heart pumps.

orca0294
11-15-2007, 08:40 PM
My school has two models of the polar monitors; the cheapest and the top of the line. Cheapos go to under class etc. I find that hard to believe a quad would not alter the monitor. I've found (and many many other class mates) just by hitting the thing at a fast consistent rate to reach my target heart rate zone I have surpassed it by much. I've seen them reach 250+ while walking.

bwamos
11-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Then you aren't using the newer models. They do not detect vibration. The chest strap actually detects the magnetic field produced when the nerves fire that causes your heart to pump. The polar monitors use an ECG (electrogardiagram) sensor. Not affected by vibrations.

It is possible that running a non-resistor type spark plug could mess up the readings by causing intereference with the radio waves communicating with the monitor/computer. But, most all ATV's run resistior type spark plugs.

416exfreak
11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey Jordan, out of curiosity...what is your resting heart rate?

Mines 42 BPM.:blah:

JRP
11-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Hey Jordan, out of curiosity...what is your resting heart rate?

Mines 42 BPM.:blah:

mines 62.

416exfreak
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Thats still not bad Jordan. I Ran XC for my school, and Im training for track and still riding everyday. Honestly, Jump Rope has done more for me than anything I think.:p