PDA

View Full Version : Boyseen Quick Shot..good or bad??

baker400ex
11-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Ive seen this product advertised and says helps bottom end power....has anyone run one of these,any noticable difference???
PowerNow has a product somewhat identical i believe...

HB-Roost
11-14-2007, 02:17 PM
I heard that you can drill out the stock one a bit to get the same effects, but I have heard from people that have run them that it makes a difference.

cthomps07
11-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I installed one on my friends yfz. Before if you snapped the trottle really quick it would quit or bog out. Put the cover on it and it cured that problem as for anything else it did I didnt notice it.

hendershot106
11-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by cthomps07
I installed one on my friends yfz. Before if you snapped the trottle really quick it would quit or bog out. Put the cover on it and it cured that problem as for anything else it did I didnt notice it.

ditto--- but only it was on my 06 450r--- i love this product-- beats spending ten days adjusting your leak jet. if i get an 08 i will most def be pulling the quickshot off my 06 to install on an 08,

GPracer2500
11-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by hendershot106
ditto--- but only it was on my 06 450r--- i love this product-- beats spending ten days adjusting your leak jet. if i get an 08 i will most def be pulling the quickshot off my 06 to install on an 08,

I'm curious about your experience. What happened that you could not get results from changing your leak jet?

hendershot106
11-16-2007, 12:19 PM
nothing- i had no trouble with hesitation with my hrc jetting, adjusting my air/fuel screw and installing the quickshot-- thats what i was implying.

GPracer2500
11-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by hendershot106
nothing- i had no trouble with hesitation with my hrc jetting, adjusting my air/fuel screw and installing the quickshot-- thats what i was implying.

I see. I though you were saying that you spend all kinds of time tuning your accelerator pump circuit by changing the leak jet and never found satisfactory results.

mx1791
11-16-2007, 04:12 PM
when i got my pipe the quad ran like poo, bogged when i hit the throttle. i didnt have the money for a quckshot so i picked up an hrc needle and a 55 leak jet, and it runs amazingly now.

GPracer2500
11-16-2007, 04:14 PM
The testing I've seen shows that in most cases installing a $90 QS does the same thing to the accelerator pump circuit as changing the $10 leak jet.

Here's a quote from James Dean of JD Jetting (http://jdjetting.server304.com/):

I purchased the $89.95 pump cover (plus $8 shipping = $98) to make an evaluation of your exact question.

The answer is yes, a smaller leak jet will do the same thing. (The instructions also say to turn the fuel screw out 1/4 turn more and set the accelerator pump timing screw to stock.)

The pump cover is designed to refill the cavity with 2 ports flowing fuel upwards toward the diaphram, lifting the diaphram to add more fuel (only slightly). This might add 10% more fuel to the cavity which actually does seem to push more out the nozzle. I made some tests, and checked the duration and distance fuel squirted with an FCR carb and throttle off of the bike. The Boyesen cover change was compared to lowering the leak jet by #10 and #20 (#70LJ with Boyesen -vs- #60LJ and #50LJ with stock pump cover).

The leak jet lowered by #20 (#50LJ with stock cover) was pushing far more fuel than the Boyesen cover with #70. Both the duration and distance of squirt was greater with the #50LJ,
The stock cover with leak jet lowered by #10 (#60LJ) was nearly identical to the Boyesen cover with #70. The amount and distance the fuel squirted was nearly the same after repeatedly snapping the throttle open, both fast and with a brief delay between snaps.

If you want to get the same effect, just lower the leak jet by #10....[quote was taken from another forum]

Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on a QS unless for some reason I was unsuccessful at getting good results through a leak jet change. One case of that might be if your FCR doesn't HAVE a leak jet (some early model FCR's don't). But as long as you've got a leak jet to change I have trouble seeing the point of the QS (besides maybe because they look nice). I'm not bagging on anyone who has and likes there QS--just saying there are less expensive alternatives.

$0.02

GPracer2500
11-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
when i got my pipe the quad ran like poo, bogged when i hit the throttle. i didnt have the money for a quckshot so i picked up an hrc needle and a 55 leak jet, and it runs amazingly now.

Exactly.

11-16-2007, 04:22 PM
i lowered my leak jet, it helped and it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the qs

Jem450ER
11-19-2007, 08:48 AM
seen a product on rockymountain atvs website thats the same thing as a Boyesen QS, but is only $24.99.

11-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Jem450ER
seen a product on rockymountain atvs website thats the same thing as a Boyesen QS, but is only $24.99.

still more than twice the cost of a leak jet...