PDA

View Full Version : motor work

outlaw11
11-14-2007, 12:37 PM
taking my engine out to send to ct racing was wandering any tips on taking it out and estimated time im pretty mechanically smart thanx

eerhard09
11-14-2007, 01:55 PM
I had mine ready to come out in about 30-40 minutes. I ended up leaving it in the frame then and not pulling it. It is pretty easy to get a motor out, just make note of where all of your cables and wiring harness is routed. Definitely use a digital camera and take a picture of EVERYTHING that does not look like it would be completely obvious when reinstalling. Also, it helps to have a piece of cardboard to tape all bolts to and label them as you take them out. Then you are not trying to figure out what goes where when putting it back together.

eerhard09
11-14-2007, 01:56 PM
What are you having done that needs the motor pulled? Are you having the cases split or just the cylinder bored and head ported?

outlaw11
11-14-2007, 02:28 PM
everything they offer other then then the big bore kit cam piston max head work top end kit

eerhard09
11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
You do not need to pull the entire motor to do that, have a local shop pull the cylinder and send them the head. They can send the parts back to you and the local shop can put it all back together for you. I am sure it would be easier and cheaper than shipping the motor to them and paying them to tear it apart!

What piston are you going with? THe Hotcams cam is pretty extreme if you are not doing a big bore kit! KTM offers several different cam grinds and I guarantee that one of the other cams are better if you are staying at the stock bore. GO to KTMTalk.com and talk to TravisD37 and tell him what you want, he will make a recommendation what to use with the stock bore and high comp piston. He is a GENIUS with the RFS motors!

outlaw11
11-14-2007, 08:06 PM
i dont think ct uses the hot cams cam cuz some told me the same thing about having to use the big bore with it i think they use one of ktms cams i cant wait to get it all done the reason im sending my whole motor yes its more expensive but the closest shop is very very busy and it would take like 2 1/2 months they said ct said they would have my engine back within a month

outlaw11
11-20-2007, 08:49 PM
will staying with the stock piston vs a 14 1 make a big difference cuz its really hard to find race fuel around here im still doing all the head work and cam but dont know bout the piston now cuz the closest place with race fuel is 30 minutes away

eerhard09
11-21-2007, 05:53 AM
You can safely run the 12.5:1 as long as you go with a stage 1 cam, maybe even with just the porting work. Talk to the guys, TravisD37 and/or DLH over at ktmtalk.com!! They can steer you in the right ridection and make suggestions that will allow you to run motor mods w/o having to run race gas. Trust me, these guys know their stuff! Besides, with all of the work you are doing, you can get a 540 kit for only $450!