PDA

View Full Version : what kinda tires for the front for snow?

slow96hater
11-14-2007, 09:33 AM
i've never really rode a quad in the snow before. we dont have any yet, but i wanna be prepaired for that first big storm. im plannin on useing some skat trak haulers 21x12 8 paddle tires for the rear, and am trying to decide on a normal set of sand front tires or just stay with a normal offroad type of tire for the front. like i said i've never rode snow before i just got my first quad this summer.

i am planning on buying 2 sets of tires anyways, some 20x6 and 18x10 mxr6's for the spring and summer of next year sometime anyways, but was thinking a taller tire, like something in the 22 inch range for ground clearence issues to go along with my paddles.

any suggestions?
thanks for the help.

bighause
11-14-2007, 10:03 AM
22x7-10 is the stock front tire size so that should be fine. I rode my buddies 450 with stock front tires in the snow(Utah) 3 or 4 days and they did fine. Paddles in the rear would be a good idea though.

Mercedes
11-14-2007, 01:35 PM
I live in Quebec and winter riding is very big here. You need to get maxxis 4-snow for the rear or zippers. For the front razr, you cant go wrong, or if $ is a problem just keep your stock fronts on.

I ride about 100-300km a week here in winter. You could almost go accross the province on the provincial trails.
Cheers

Backstabber
11-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I've tried paddle tires in snow before and didn't have much success. I'd try the holeshot xtc's. They'll give you traction and more ground clearance. This is assuming you have a solid rear axle. They provide the most ground clearance.:devil:

slow96hater
11-19-2007, 08:52 PM
so paddles are a bad idea huh? i've seen the snow tires and stuff, but, we get kinda a wet snow(when we get it), and its usually not too deep or powdery.

i've already got a set of origional holeshots, they're some 20x11's on a 8 inch wheel, i found out they do real good in the mud, i figure with how large the sidewall is, they'd probally do good in snow also??????

thanks guys.

Backstabber
11-19-2007, 09:29 PM
You would most likely need new wheels but I would get some 22 inch tall tires for more ground clearance. I have the same holeshots and I'm gonna go with the xct next. Its the same great holeshot tire but with 2 more inches of ground clearance. I've hit the snow with paddle tires before and it sucked. It was five inches of wet snow. I kept getting stuck and I was bouncing because of the paddles. Not a good idea, I wouldn't steer ya wrong. The paddles go through the snow to the ground and you bounce. If the snow is too deep for the paddles then you're not gonna move anyways, you'll hit frame and not more. Whatever tire you get your best bet is a 22 inch tall tire. I had an idea but I dont know if it'll work. Get another set of front tires and put them on back. It sounds and will probably look crazy but you can get a 23 inch tall tire then and get more ground clearance. plus with the narrow front tire you will get more traction. Think about it, big trucks on the road use narrow tires in the winter for snow. If you use a wide foot print then you'll slide all over. Let me know what ya think, later.:devil:

shadowwalker
11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by slow96hater
so paddles are a bad idea huh? i've seen the snow tires and stuff, but, we get kinda a wet snow(when we get it), and its usually not too deep or powdery.

get the snow tires. The paddles are going to dig down and hit the ground. The frozen ground is going to tear the paddles up. My paddles show wear from riding from the trailer to the garage. Any extended riding on a hard surface is going to rip them apart.

440challenger
11-20-2007, 06:10 AM
realtors?

ny300exrider
11-20-2007, 09:59 AM
ams zipper/maxxis 4 snow/pro wedge(all 3 tires are pretty much the same..i think you can find the zippers pretty cheap) on the rear...they expand when accelerated which helps to "float" over the snow instead of dig in...

Exrider434
11-20-2007, 10:28 AM
dont buy holeshots for snow! they will just dig right in to the snow and spin

Mercedes
11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
JUST like ny300exrider said.

The maxxis 4-snow all the way. Get them on 8' rims, the tires go for about 45$ each, so no biggy. Never mind the clearence, you will never ride in more than 1 foot of snow from what you said you dont get that much anyways.

The 4-snow tire is made so that when you hit the gas, they acctualy streatch, so your rear will rise up and you will have better clearence.

As I said before, I'm from Quebec and riding in winter here is very big. So I do know,by experiance(some good some bad)That you gotta have the right tires for the job.

Maxxis razr2 up front and 4-snow in the rear, cant go wrong.

Myself I even put some ice screws in the front tires last year,this year I'm gonna try car tires studds.

slow96hater
11-20-2007, 07:27 PM
alright, everyone thanks for the response. i'ma getting some of the maxxis tires tomorrow, a shop here said they had a set with my name on it. im gonna have to wait for new fronts now tho.

thanks

Slinky
12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Mercedes
JUST like ny300exrider said.

The maxxis 4-snow all the way. Get them on 8' rims, the tires go for about 45$ each, so no biggy. Never mind the clearence, you will never ride in more than 1 foot of snow from what you said you dont get that much anyways.

The 4-snow tire is made so that when you hit the gas, they acctualy streatch, so your rear will rise up and you will have better clearence.

As I said before, I'm from Quebec and riding in winter here is very big. So I do know,by experiance(some good some bad)That you gotta have the right tires for the job.

Maxxis razr2 up front and 4-snow in the rear, cant go wrong.

Myself I even put some ice screws in the front tires last year,this year I'm gonna try car tires studds.
where in quebec do you ride? i'm about 40 minutes south of montreal just in NY....what kind of registration do you guys need to ride up there? Is there a seperate trail pass that i need to get? I know how it works for sleds, but dont know if its the same for quads. Can you ride on the sled trails or is there quad trails only?

Mercedes
12-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Well you must get a trail pass first. And there are seperate trails for ATV's. And well worth the $ they really take care of the trails here. If we get enough snow(very good so far), its like a white carpet,just beautifull.