PDA

View Full Version : 08 ltr450 or yfz 450

chases
11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
what one should i get and whyy

James_yfz17
11-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Personally, and not just ebecause i ride one, i would go YFZ. I have read every article out there on shootouts and they still say the YFZ is #1 all around. I also know people who have 08 LTR's and are still having alot of problems with them. They are a nice bike nut just do not compare to the quality of the yamaha....i think. Thats just my two cents on the issue.

400exrider99
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
what do you ride more, track or trails

LT-R450=track

YFZ450=trails

James_yfz17
11-13-2007, 09:37 PM
even if you rode track more, the yfz can easily be made into a track machine. I ran stock suspension for 3 seasons and did fine, its all in how you tune them. I also bought an axle and turned the front wheels inside out to get the width i wanted.

11-14-2007, 04:22 PM
I been trough hell and back with a yamaha. At this point buying a yamaha is pointless. They geometry aint the best. the 09yfz will be pretty kickass with efi and frame mods. But to buy a 08 or older is stupid. Its going to worth nothing after words. The yamaha has more problems then the ltr. I have seen ltr trannys go more thne 3times in one season. Hell jeremey steinbach went trough 10 this year alone. The ltr is a much faster motor with the right mods. its a bit heaiver but id take a ltr over a yfz any day. All tho the kfx is another story :). I no alot of people that went from yfz to ltr. and they will never go back. they absolutely love there stock ltrs over the modded yfz's. but thats my opinion and what i no.

pro-rider46
11-14-2007, 04:28 PM
not that i hate yamaha, i actually like them, seem like a good machine, but dirtwheels especially, they always say that yamaha is the best, the dirtwheel shootouts kinda seem like its not true, and again, i dont have a thing against yamahas, i like them, just sayin

11-14-2007, 04:37 PM
believing a shootout is like buying a quad cause the pros ride it

450rJam
11-14-2007, 04:43 PM
dirt wheels will say what ever they are paid to say
(truth be damned)

the yfz is better everywhere except on an mx track (stock)

unless your racing mx only, the ltr wouldnt even be my second choice behind the yfz

you can make either into a perfect atv to fit your needs
but you want my opinion, yfz for sure

450r ride red
11-14-2007, 04:50 PM
get the ltr

the yfz u will have to fix it every ride they are junk

KENNY HEMMINGS
11-15-2007, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by 450r ride red
get the ltr

WHAT ARE U SMOKIN??? I HAVE HAD 4 YFZ'S AND THE ONLY AND
I MEAN ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS WITH A 04 WITH THE OIL PLUG
BLOWING OUT OFF THE HEAD AND THAT WAS A EASY FIX, I JUST
PUT A NEW PISTON AND RINGS IN A 06 THAT HAD 12 XC RACES AND 6 GNCC RACES PLUS ALL THE PRACTICE TIME AND THE CYLINDER STILL HAD THE CROSS HATCH MARKS IN IT!!
YOU MUST RIDE A HONDA WITH REMARKS LIKE THAT!!:confused:
MR. RIDE RED WHY IS IT THAT EVERY HONDA U SEE HAS TO HAVE THE FRAME WELDED?? HAVE TO HAVE THE VALVES AND CAM REDONE?? NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH A YFZ!

AND AS FAR AS YOUR QUESTION BUY WHAT U LIKE NOT WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE LIKES, RIDE THEM AND SEE WHAT WORKS
BEST FOR U, IS LIKE THE FORD AND CHEVY BATTLE?? WHO KNOWS
WHATS BEST BUT I'M A FIRM BELIVER IN THE YFZ!! MY OPINION

mx1791
11-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by KENNY HEMMINGS
WHAT ARE U SMOKIN??? I HAVE HAD 4 YFZ'S AND THE ONLY AND
I MEAN ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS WITH A 04 WITH THE OIL PLUG
BLOWING OUT OFF THE HEAD AND THAT WAS A EASY FIX, I JUST
PUT A NEW PISTON AND RINGS IN A 06 THAT HAD 12 XC RACES AND 6 GNCC RACES PLUS ALL THE PRACTICE TIME AND THE CYLINDER STILL HAD THE CROSS HATCH MARKS IN IT!!
YOU MUST RIDE A HONDA WITH REMARKS LIKE THAT!!:confused:
MR. RIDE RED WHY IS IT THAT EVERY HONDA U SEE HAS TO HAVE THE FRAME WELDED?? HAVE TO HAVE THE VALVES AND CAM REDONE?? NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH A YFZ!

AND AS FAR AS YOUR QUESTION BUY WHAT U LIKE NOT WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE LIKES, RIDE THEM AND SEE WHAT WORKS
BEST FOR U, IS LIKE THE FORD AND CHEVY BATTLE?? WHO KNOWS
WHATS BEST BUT I'M A FIRM BELIVER IN THE YFZ!! MY OPINION
is it really necessary to type with caps lock on?..

get the ltr

droopy87
11-15-2007, 07:53 AM
saying one breaks more than the other is just dumb,they all break just as much as the other
mine has never gave me a problem,carb got gummed up with U4 and thats it.
Hondas are having the most issues around here without a doubt.
With that being said ride them all and pick for you,not what some other clown says,I think that the ltr handles the best and if yamaha doesn't make changes in 09 I will get the ltr

250r4life
11-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by walshyfz86
what i no.

what you no huh?

you should find a post by GPracer2500, and read his sig...

:devil:

250r4life
11-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by 450r ride red
get the ltr

oh the irony in that statement, especially considering what you told him to get in lieu of the YFZ... :huh

250r4life
11-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Go for the LTR!!!

figure the more people there are on slow bikes, the faster it will make me look :D

droopy87
11-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
Go for the LTR!!!

figure the more people there are on slow bikes, the faster it will make me look :D

:eek2: that was funny haha

11-15-2007, 10:52 AM
what you no huh?

you should find a post by GPracer2500, and read his sig...

:devil:

listen i been around the ltrs for a wile. and owned a yfz for the past 3 years. I no the pros and cons of both. Ltr is a faster quad. modded or not. it is. The yfz is getting outdated. They haven't changed there frame design since they came out. and thats one of there week est points. The only thing they did was add a different crank and have a High flowing head. And make new colors. The LTR frame geomentry is by far better then the yfz. I have not yet met someone who rode both would pick a yfz over a ltr. I m not a big fan on LTR's but more then i am on yfz's. Yfz motors are weak. No matter what anyone says. Stock there good. But id like to see you pump out 65hp on a stock bore yfz motor. On a suz you can pull that one off. LTR is all around better quad. When Yamaha releases there 09 yami it will be up there with every other quad out there today.but as of now i think its behind compared to whats out. Picking up a brand new 08 is a waste. when you can wait a few months and get EFI and a new frame design. I love my yfz tho. but if i had to pick again. id go ltr

droopy87
11-15-2007, 11:01 AM
listen i been around the ltrs for a wile. and owned a yfz for the past 3 years. I no the pros and cons of both. Ltr is a faster quad. modded or not. it is. The yfz is getting outdated. They haven't changed there frame design since they came out. and thats one of there week est points. The only thing they did was add a different crank and have a High flowing head. And make new colors. The LTR frame geomentry is by far better then the yfz. I have not yet met someone who rode both would pick a yfz over a ltr. I m not a big fan on LTR's but more then i am on yfz's. Yfz motors are weak. No matter what anyone says. Stock there good. But id like to see you pump out 65hp on a stock bore yfz motor. On a suz you can pull that one off. LTR is all around better quad. When Yamaha releases there 09 yami it will be up there with every other quad out there today.but as of now i think its behind compared to whats out. Picking up a brand new 08 is a waste. when you can wait a few months and get EFI and a new frame design. I love my yfz tho. but if i had to pick again. id go ltr

where do you get your info on the 09?What are you gonna get after you sell?I don't know if I want to wait for 09 to come around,hell the only reason i got the yfz is because they kept pushing the release date back on the ltr

11-15-2007, 11:25 AM
My buddie used to work at this yamaha dealer one of the biggest in NJ to. xtreme machines. Thats all i can say. Ull see a front frame change. and efi :)

250r4life
11-15-2007, 12:36 PM

wile- while... no- know. there-their... week est= weakest... there-theyre...

although i "no' plenty from my personal experience with each of them, if i didnt, i still wouldnt put much stock in what you say just from considering the above...

250r4life
11-15-2007, 12:39 PM

youre so far out in left field, and there is so much to pick apart in your post, that i really dont feel like spending the time disecting your post and making you look stupid... reading your post makes me question if you've ever even ridden a quad...

get the LTR... listen to all these omnipotent teenagers on these forums :D

KENNY HEMMINGS
11-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by mx1791
is it really necessary to type with caps lock on?..

get the ltr

does that work better for u:grr:

KENNY HEMMINGS
11-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Go pick up the latest edition off ATV SPORT they talk to Jeremey
Rice about riding the KTM and then asked him how it compared to
LTR he said the su-dookie give him a lot off problems???

look mx1791 small letters just for you:D when you get old you will
want large letters:cool:

450rJam
11-15-2007, 04:45 PM
I dont know any clowns that would believe a stock ltr would be better than a built yfz, as far as reliability goes the ltr has all the zuki problems, frames/tranys and that great half welded rear shock mount

non of the race 450's are as reliable as say the ex's but the yfz is as reliable as any others

as far as speed/power the ltr is behind honda/yamaha and ktm
everyone says the power is "SMOOOOOOOTH"

but in hole shots/drag races that smooooth ltr gets left in the dust

I am in no way bias, I run honda but if I was forced to choose a different 450 it would be yfz or ktm

11-15-2007, 06:07 PM
youre so far out in left field, and there is so much to pick apart in your post, that i really dont feel like spending the time disecting your post and making you look stupid... reading your post makes me question if you've ever even ridden a quad...

get the LTR... listen to all these omnipotent teenagers on these forums :D

Cause im your normal rider that no's absolutely nothing about these quads.and own a shop for no reason at all

450rJam
11-15-2007, 07:01 PM
ummmmmmmmmm..................

you have a suzuki shop?

11-15-2007, 07:04 PM
I work on any atv/dirtbike. and soon to be partners with racewayatv.com once i get the store going. Ive been rebuilding yamaha motors for the past year and half. learning LTR motors now so i can fully rebuild those.

250r4life
11-16-2007, 09:55 AM
you have the writing capacity of the avg 4th grader... and what does a Lego shop have to do with anything?

11-16-2007, 10:42 AM
You just to cool for school. i guess thats what the internet does to ya :)

mx1791
11-16-2007, 02:10 PM
you have the writing capacity of the avg 4th grader... and what does a Lego shop have to do with anything?
you actually took the time to correct all his spelling errors, even though you obviously knew what he ment just so you can try to make walshyfz look bad. antagonizing someone is just sooooo mature:rolleyes:

stop bikering you two and lets get back on topic here. arguments like this make the site look bad, and no one is learning anything in the matter.

250r4life
11-16-2007, 03:20 PM
you actually took the time to correct all his spelling errors, even though you obviously knew what he ment just so you can try to make walshyfz look bad. antagonizing someone is just sooooo mature:rolleyes:

stop bikering you two and lets get back on topic here. arguments like this make the site look bad, and no one is learning anything in the matter.

it has nothing to do with making him look bad or maturity... it has to do with appearance, presentation, and credibility... pointing out that with such spelling, its hard to give any credibility to what he says- no matter what it is...

valuable lesson to learn in life...

mx1791
11-16-2007, 03:40 PM
i can understand that. but still, its just the internet. i cant spell for my life and i definitely dont care how i spell things over the internet. its not like im in school talking to my english teacher. i just think its pointless to keep bashing him for his spelling and saying he must not know anything about fixing quads becouse his grammar. it may seem like im taking his side (which im not, you should both just stop bikering:p ) but i happen to know walshyfz can fix quads. he knows yfz's like the back of his hand. that being my whole reason of posting my original post, becouse you are jumping to conclusions about his knowledge of quads..

droopy87
11-16-2007, 04:49 PM
I agree,I could care less how someone spells on the internet,If I can understand it then its all good

Hondamaster5505
11-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Im a HUGE yamaha fan, and the ltr450 looks like a really good bike, but heres why i couldnt get one:

They have too much technology!!
With all that traction control crap and whatsoever, if anything breaks, how would they expect us to fix it? We'd end up paying a dealer $300 just to fix something small and retarded like that.

Too many things to go wrong = Most likely something will go wrong sooner

The yfz450 has already proven itself in all the atv shootouts and has been around long enough to be trusted.

just my $.02

yfzrider45
11-24-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm not lookin to fight with anyone on here but my answer is if you buy new get a yamaha, and if you buy used an ltr-450. its just an opinion...:)

11-24-2007, 03:55 PM
i've owned over 17 yamaha's ranging from wolverines to grizzly, to raptors and to yfz 450s. My yfz was fully built and was an awesome quad that i loved and beat the hell out of for three years. However, throughout those three years i had constant issues with my starter going out and basically rode my yfz into the ground led me to upgrade to a ltr a year ago (would have got another yfz but all they changed were the colors and handlebars), and i have not looked back ever since. My LTR with a dasa pipe and cherry bomb feels just as strong as my fully built yfz motor.

I;m also glad i went with suzuki just based on the fact that they are supporting the sport in the WPSA with a factory team, unlike yamaha which has basically ignored the racing aspect as much as possible. Yamaha is too busying sponoring the PBR i guess.

07250ex
11-24-2007, 05:27 PM

dude ur the definition of contradiction

07250ex
11-24-2007, 05:32 PM

stop bikering you two

haha im assuming you ment to say bikering rather than bickering since were on a quad site =p

1992 Trx 250x
11-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Cron

I;m also glad i went with suzuki just based on the fact that they are supporting the sport in the WPSA with a factory team, unlike yamaha which has basically ignored the racing aspect as much as possible. Yamaha is too busying sponoring the PBR i guess.

yamaha is going to have a factory team next season...a little late but better late than never i suppose.

yfzrider45
11-25-2007, 09:32 AM
hey i figured i'd post this here for "coreymx". Its about the yamaha and he had it in his own thread...

http://www.gcnewsgazette.com/articles/2007/07/30/local_news/news31.txt

reptikes
11-28-2007, 06:43 PM
If i had to get a quad other than a Honda it would be a YFZ for sure. Out of all the 450's out right now LTR would be my last chioce.

Drewltr450
11-28-2007, 08:45 PM
why would it be your last choice?

450rJam
11-28-2007, 09:09 PM
if I was to buy a new 450 right now it would be (in order)

450r (imo best all around)
yfz (par with the R but im brand loyal)
ktm (another year r&d could have it alone at the top)
kfx (maybe I had too high of expectations from this one)
ltr (mx specialized, I like woods,dunes,trails also)

this is just my opinion, for the style and type of riding I do
any of the new 450's can be transformed to fit the bill, its just that the honda/yamaha take less to get them to my preferred
state of performance.

Drewltr450
12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
earlier in the thread someone sad the ltr wasnt good for woods it may be a little wide but i beat my friends 450r in the woods all the time. and thats with 18s if you get 20s on the ltr and go down a toth in the front its just as good as any other 450 for woods

400ex18
12-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Go honda or ltr all the way, a few of my buddies had yfz and he worked on it more the he rode it!! so for a good all around bike go honda, and for mx racin i would go for the ltr bouth bikes ya cant go wrong!!

04TRX400EX
12-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
if I was to buy a new 450 right now it would be (in order)

450r (imo best all around)
yfz (par with the R but im brand loyal)
ktm (another year r&d could have it alone at the top)
kfx (maybe I had too high of expectations from this one)
ltr (mx specialized, I like woods,dunes,trails also)

this is just my opinion, for the style and type of riding I do
any of the new 450's can be transformed to fit the bill, its just that the honda/yamaha take less to get them to my preferred
state of performance.

I think he hit on a few things. First, almost everything about quads is personal preference. I love Honda's myself but will probably be getting a KTM next year because for the riding I do, it's the best fit, and it feels like a Honda. Depending on what type of riding you do, where you do it, what you are going to do to the quad, etc. there is usually one best choice. Strictly based on out-of-the-crate specifications and based on personal experience with friends' quads, here is what I think ...

* 450R - great trail/XC machine but needs suspension work
* YFZ - probably the best all-around quad but getting outdated (like the 450R)
* LTR - awesome track bike that doesn't need much to be competitive
* KFX - I think some more R&D needs to go into it, it can kind of go either way with some work
* KTM - built for XC and hands down the best stock, but you'll pay for it up front

Like others have said, 2009 should be a big year for quads with the apparent frame and EFI changes on the YFZ, hopefully the same on the 450R if Honda stops slacking, and KTM should also release their 450 & 525 SX versions for the motocross track.

Oh, and about breaking, they're all good quads ... it all depends on how you ride and how you take care of them. My $0.02 :)

RosquistRacer39
12-09-2007, 09:09 AM
You cant say that any bike is the most reliable, it depends on how you ride them. I have beat my yfz and yes it has broke, but all the other 450's have had the same problems. If I were to get one it would totally depend on where I was going to ride. Out here in WORCS you need a 50 inch wide bike. We don't go dicing through the trees, but if I was more into woods and trails I would go with a yfz, or even a clean 05 450r (Smoother power, stronger tranny than 06 and up). I agree that you should wait on the yfz though cause if the changes happen that are supposed to have happened over the last couple of years it should be sick.

Tuffkidd
12-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by KENNY HEMMINGS
does that work better for u:grr: Old Dudes Rule!!!

#17YFZRACER
12-10-2007, 07:16 PM
have you ever heard the saying "the older i get the faster i used to be":D. just joking i will be there some day too. ride on;)

KENNY HEMMINGS
12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
The older I get the faster I am if you dont believe me just ask me!!:macho

06YFZ450SE
12-18-2007, 09:35 PM
I have a 06 YFZ450 when it was Stock I beat all the other 450s out. I like to see what chances are in for the 09 YFZ. I have modded mine and its quick as ****. I will not buy another Quad. I have riding/Raced mine hard and nothing has ever broke. I better knock on wood lol.

low10s
12-30-2007, 04:38 PM
i was at the sand pit yesterday just minding my bus. a guy on a suzi pulls up and wanted to run. my first drag on the bike in the sand. he got me out of the hole, i was just trying to see how i needed to start off and shift, i was pulling on him hard and caught up at the end. later he wanted to race again thinking i was an easy win...NOT SO! i put about 3 on him before he let off. later he wanted some more....same thing put about 3-4 on him and he lets off. i was just surprised at how good the YFZ runs. and yes my head swelled LOL

ECAYFZ450
12-30-2007, 08:40 PM
MX1791---DUDE YOUR TOTALLY RIGHT...THE YFZ IS THE BEST ONE!! I ONLY HAD ONE PROBLEM AND THAT WAS THE OIL DRAIN PLUG!! I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT OTHER GUY IS TALKING ABOUT BUT THE YFZ IS THE BEST!!!

_smith#21_
01-04-2008, 02:26 AM
of course ppl are going to say yfzs are better ur in a yfz forum

450rJam
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I wouldnt say yfz is the best for everyone, but over-all I would rank it above the ltr

width/cornering-----ltr
motor/performance-yfz
shocks/susp.---------yfz
price-------------------yfz
looks------------------yfz
mx/flat track----------ltr
cc/trails/drags--------yfz

stock vs stock

modify it to your liking and run it

I prefer the trx over both so I am truly unbias

yfzrider45
01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
yfz's will always dominate over ltr's.....every magazine shootout has yfz owning every other 450 out there lol.....and they have it for a reason!!!!!!!

450rJam
01-04-2008, 04:54 PM
they are impressive and generally honda/yamaha are the top two in most shoot outs, unless your talking about dirtwheels

those guys have mouth cramps from sucking yamaha's exhaust pipes for so long

jury is still out on the new ktm, but from what I have seen it looks like it may raise the bar for race atv's

yfzrider45
01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
thats pretty funny!!! :D ....they do always have yfz's win !!!

450rJam
01-04-2008, 05:07 PM
yeah, and not just the yfz

pretty much anything yamaha

yamaha makes some good stuff, they dont really need the lies to make them sound better

I have an issue that claims a slip on will add 15hp to a stock yfz
(I had to double check to see if it was the april fools issue)

sskustomz
01-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Going back to the two brains fighting earlier in the forum just remember fighting on the internet is like playin in the special olympics-no matter win or lose your still a retard.

Having said that YFZ all the way

06YFZ450SE
01-10-2008, 08:16 PM
yeah, and not just the yfz

pretty much anything yamaha

yamaha makes some good stuff, they dont really need the lies to make them sound better

I have an issue that claims a slip on will add 15hp to a stock yfz
(I had to double check to see if it was the april fools issue)

If you read that again.It says If you want to make an extra 10-15 more HP an slip on muffer will give it to you. I now just jetting mine made 2-3HP on a dyno.Then I did a pipe,Lid off,filter,cam mod, Boysen,Redline Air/fuel screw. I made 12-13 HP over stock.

Low eistimate the stock 06+ made atleast 38HP.

The YFZ450 motor will produce nearly50 HP.In stock trim.

Speed_MDS2
01-10-2008, 09:06 PM
I dont know any clowns that would believe a stock ltr would be better than a built yfz, as far as reliability goes the ltr has all the zuki problems, frames/tranys and that great half welded rear shock mount

non of the race 450's are as reliable as say the ex's but the yfz is as reliable as any others

as far as speed/power the ltr is behind honda/yamaha and ktm
everyone says the power is "SMOOOOOOOTH"

but in hole shots/drag races that smooooth ltr gets left in the dust

I am in no way bias, I run honda but if I was forced to choose a different 450 it would be yfz or ktm

Wasn't the problem with the rear linkage mount fixed like 2 years ago, I think we can go back a few years and find more problems with the yfz than I care to list here. Truth is they all break, they're all fast and you'll be happy with what ever one you get(till it breaks, LOL). Go to the dealer and pick out your faorite color, its that darn simple.

06YFZ450SE
01-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Speed_MDS2
Wasn't the problem with the rear linkage mount fixed like 2 years ago, I think we can go back a few years and find more problems with the yfz than I care to list here. Truth is they all break, they're all fast and you'll be happy with what ever one you get(till it breaks, LOL). Go to the dealer and pick out your faorite color, its that darn simple.

Mine hasnt broke on me yet I wouldnt now the feeling.But If it would brake I wouldnt get mad at it.I'll just fix it better and make it faster. They all have the same colors out now.