PDA

View Full Version : Skidplate clearance?

Aceman
11-13-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm running an 88-89 style RPM swinger using a Durablue lowering strut. Problem is the skidplates I have don't clear the linkage, even before I started using the longer Durablue dogbone.
I have both a prm and a pro-tect skid right now and they're not even close to clearing, I probably need 2"+ of spacers in the front and 1"+ in the back. Can I just buy an 86-87 skid which I assume has a deeper trough for the linkage or are the bolt holes to far off to make work even if I redrilled them? Anyone ran into this problem?

EXtreme-
11-13-2007, 05:53 PM
I took a minute to measure an 86 and 87 DG skidders. The 87 has a shallower trough for the shorter dogbone of 1.25" deep. The 86 trough is 2.00" deep for the long bone. However, both years have totally different bolt spreads. Assuming you'd prefer the 86, the "V" in the trough is exactly 13" O.C. to its deepest point from the center of the axle to give you an idea of its whereabouts. Also, the trough measurements were taken "line of site" from mount to mount.....and downward into the V.

Aceman
11-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks a lot! I'll measure my swinger up in the next day or two and see how it measures out exactly.

Creech52
11-13-2007, 06:35 PM
I dont understand, it did not clear before the lowering link when using the skidplates? Does RPM sell a skid plate to match their swinger?

Aceman
11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by EXtreme-
I took a minute to measure an 86 and 87 DG skidders. The 87 has a shallower trough for the shorter dogbone of 1.25" deep. The 86 trough is 2.00" deep for the long bone. However, both years have totally different bolt spreads. Assuming you'd prefer the 86, the "V" in the trough is exactly 13" O.C. to its deepest point from the center of the axle to give you an idea of its whereabouts. Also, the trough measurements were taken "line of site" from mount to mount.....and downward into the V.

Measured it up. Looks like I need about 2" deep trough about 10.5" OC from the axle. Back to the drawing board.:mad:

Rich250RRacer
11-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I've had Pro-tect custom make all my skids because of various set-ups that I've run. Just call them and he'll give you about 6-7 different measurement points. Every time I get one they mount up perfect.

Aceman
11-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tip Rich. I was thinking about calling a few different companies to see if they'd build a custom one, sounds like I'm in luck!

Aceman
11-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Called prm, they're going to send me an older 87 style that has a 2.5" deep trough. Supposedly it has the same bolt pattern as an 88-89, at least that's what he told me. However, they will not make custom skids anymore, too many guys would order them and then change their minds.:rolleyes: