PDA

View Full Version : K&N v/s Uni v/s stock

Danimal
11-01-2001, 03:28 PM
I'v been looking at Uni filters.Are they better than stock? If so how do they compare to K&N?

11-01-2001, 03:45 PM
Lots of mixed feelings on that question,,,I use K&N and probably always will but some say there swiss cheese and let dirt into your cylinder. I've been using K&N for 5 years and haven't never had a problem. Uni and stock to me are the same thing,,foam filters.

400exJOE
11-01-2001, 04:44 PM
I have a K&N and it lets a lot more air through. The only thing is if you run in any dust make sure you by yourself a prefilter or an outerware.

11-01-2001, 04:53 PM
Get a UNI or a White Bros. is also a nice filter!!!;)

Danimal
11-01-2001, 06:09 PM
But is Uni any better than stock? My stock filter is fine, so if the Uni dosn't flow better than stock there is no point in spending the cash.

shock400ex32
11-01-2001, 06:36 PM
Get the K&N. As long as you keep it clean and oiled with an outerwear on it it will be fine and be better than a Uni or Stock filter.

MichaelS693
11-01-2001, 06:38 PM
In my opinion it isnt any different

400exRacerX
11-01-2001, 06:53 PM
I have both and i will sell you my uni its in perfect condition, I only used it once and saw no performance gain? anyone its up for grabs? 15$

11-01-2001, 11:31 PM
I've got a uni and it has probably twice as much surface area as a stock filter, however I'm thinking of putting on a K&N w/outerware.:D

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 04:54 AM
The uni filter is better than stock,because it has more surface area and the foam cells are slightly larger. The K&N definately is a better performance gain, but the k&n will let more small particles into you're motor, It makes sense if figure you're gonna gain 100% more airflow by adding the filter youre gonna get more dust, It just works out that way. But for dune riders the k&n is definately the way to go. The cross country guys will most likely go with the foam in dusty conditions. I have tried both filters and liked the way the k&n added performance but had one bad experience with it, I had the prefilter installed and went out on a wet day crashed through a couple small waterholes and a few minutes later the ole 400 would hardly run checked everything and found the silk cover on the air filter had been splashed with water( and i leave my lid on)and was holding the water and i couldnt get any air, so pulled the cover and the k&n filter and while trying to dry everything off my buddy who's a neat freak starts shovin his hand around the breather tube, Thats when we saw how many small particles were gettin through the filter. So we then pulled his k&n filter and the same results. We switched to uni filters and added uni vents to the airbox and can now run the bikes twice as long with the uni's and we get no dirt through the filter. So i guess i'll give up a little performance for alot more reliability. But for the everyday motocrosser rebuilds go hand in hand with racing so they might as well go for the performance.:D

Lasher
11-02-2001, 08:03 AM
I use a K&N and outerware on all my quads. I think it is easier to clean and oil besides the extra flow.

Since I only ride on MX tracks, they are groomed and watered. So dust is not a problem for me. I check my intake track all the time and do not find any particles of dust or dirt.

But as some one said, I do at least one top end a year (about 12 races) so longterm I cannot comment on.