PDA

View Full Version : sand tires in the snow...need help from sand guys

44oEX
11-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi ( and yes I did do a search )

Well winter is getting here fast, we actualy have snow on the ground, I normaly run a set of maxxis 4SNOW's on the rear, and they work great, I couldn't ask for anything better. What i'm looking for is a better front tire setup. And I like to be able to use the front brakes, no skis are not a option.

I need help from you sand guys, i'm thinking about the double mohawk sand star, as i've heard they work great in sand, as far as steering goes, but how about braking? I was also thinking about the gbc sharkfin, as it might have better braking since it's not just a smooth rib?? How do these compare in the sand? Anyone ever tryed them in snow?

I need something that handles great, but still has good braking bite like a knobbie tire. And unlike some of you guys, YES I do need brakes, down shiffing isn't enough when your doing 60 and you meet a sled doing the same in turns.

http://www.tiresnstuff.com/itp-sandStar-fr.jpg
http://www.napsatv.com/images/gbc-sharkfin.jpg

Please let me know your opinion... any sand or snow guys/ gals out there

thanks

trx400EXtreme
11-13-2007, 04:37 PM
if u want knobby, try some razr II's. they look like they would hook up great. thats what i run. i havent had them in the snow yet, but it looks like they would hook up pretty good. the only proplem i see with the sand tires is they would probably slide too much if u got on the brakes, but thet would probably turn pretty good.

Drewltr450
11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
idk if you can but just stud your front tires you should get some more traction in the snow

Big - D Racing
11-13-2007, 08:55 PM
I ran semi paddles in the sand and loved them they worked good in the harder stuff and pavement without ripping apart, and worked well in the soft stuff. HEre they are: called AMS Zippers for sale at www.rockymountainatv.com

Big - D Racing
11-13-2007, 08:56 PM
forgot the pic

pro-rider46
11-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Big - D Racing
forgot the pic

yeah but hes looking for the front tires

44oEX
11-14-2007, 05:34 AM
yeah I'm running maxxis 4 snow's on the back, the AMS ZIPPERS are just a rip off of the 4snow, there basicly the same tire. but maxxis had them first. Thanks for the help, but like pro-rider46 said, I need front.

I have a set of really big 22X8-10 razr on the front now, with screws in the knobbes, the work pretty good, but i'm still looking for better. If theres a little ice they work great, but in snow, I fell I could find something better, but still need the braking.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/peb83042e25a2d6618c600deaa40799c8/eaa3caa9.jpg

Big - D Racing
11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Dang I so wanted to help, I am a dune guy but I would guess the skat-trak smooth buff front tires would float pretty well in the snow. They too are on rocky mountain. They wouldn't help much on ice though. They work awesome in the dunes.

44oEX
11-15-2007, 06:07 AM
they would probably float great, but I don't think they would have much for turning and braking. But thanks for trying.

Any one else?

400exrider707
11-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Stick with a knobby with screws if you want it to turn and stop.

44oEX
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
ok thanks

awlogeman
12-15-2007, 08:26 PM
i just went riding in the snow i run maxxis razr 2s in the front and some kenda geckos in the back the razr 2 front have the raised center ridge so the kinda steer like a sand tire plus the have the side ridges which help even more for steering and alot for braking.

TheNewn
12-15-2007, 09:03 PM
I live in Alaska, and i'll tell you exactly the tire you want.

Get a set of front Holeshot HD's or the newer design that has the flatter profile.

What you do is shave off the very middle row of knobs, this will leave the two outer ones forming a sort of cup shape, and then you stud the outer rows. It has great flotation and great turning and breaking ability.

Exactly what you want.

This kind of tire, works best.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/viewLargerImage.do?stockId=48224&navType=type#OtherImages

TheNewn
12-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Also, you dont need to put an obscene amount of studs in like you did with your razors. just one in each knob all the way around works well, 2 in each knob if you feel you need it.

44oEX
12-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys,

My friend tried out the sand tires ( they are cheap ) just a single moehawk. They steer better then anythign else we have tryed, but they have NO braking power what so ever, basicly like ski's if you hit the brakes.