PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme vs. the knock-offs

rpowell
11-13-2007, 02:34 PM
I asked this a while back, but does anyone know the differences between the Typhoon and the KMD look-a-like? I didn't have time to inspect it, but I saw a KMD the other day and they look almost identical for half the price of the Xtreme's.

gmen
11-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Buy one,let me know what you think .
Being this is you first post who did you ask ?

rpowell
11-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Asked on another forum where a couple dealers carry these units and I just pasted it over here. I am convinced that the Xtreme's are better just with the info I have gotten and reading this forum. I would like to know details so I can convey the differences to others.

rpowell
11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
gmen
A dealer on another forum answered pretty much what I was asking. They have first hand experience and answered pretty promptly. I guess I'll retract my original post. Thanks anyway

rpowell
11-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Ok had a guy on another forum tell me that he knows the owner of FYM and all the Xtreme's, KMD, Roketa, etc. are made by FYM and each distributor just offers different features, i.e. better shocks, billet accessories,etc. Does anyone know if that is true or not?
Now before I get hammered as I have in past posts, I have tried to find the info myself, have asked other people/dealers on other forums and noone else can verify this info.

chad.peterson
11-28-2007, 12:17 PM
This is from another forum, "The transmissions on the Xtreme is the auto clutch version of the Cooper/ Team Xtreme SCR transmission which uses larger and hardened gears."

I bought a Baja Storm for my son,but I got a 10% discount on the quad and couldn't pass it up. Looking at the pictures they are same looking, I see that xtreme has bushing on the steering stem, also the frame has the piece that connects the upper to lower part of the frame. I have read you can order these parts (150.00 from extreme).

I have been wondering about the Stage 1 kit that xtreme sells and if it will fit my Baja. There is no forums that I found for xtreme knockoff to be discussed.

I assume everything is the same vs the tranny and the after sale service,

What model of engine do you guys have on your 125's Mine is marked with the following

124cm3
GONGYU
FY152YM1

Frame Sticker
Guangzhou Panyu Huanan Motors
Brand Baja 2006-10
Type F125-2
Engine Family
6DD1X0.12NFG

CP

lem dad
11-28-2007, 04:24 PM
We got Dylan the Xtream he loves it He hated to give up his Lem but it was time As far as the copys go stay away from them I have seen nothing but trouble from them No warrenty ,frames are weak compared to the Xtream they may be half the price but they are half the quad

Dylan 03
Rowlands Motorsports

rpowell
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah I really like the workmanship of the Extreme's and their support people are great (thusfar). I learned allot about them from a guy on another forum, but was a little taken back when heard this other guy state that they were all made by FYM. I continue to pick at the copies so that I really know the difference. I may buy a copy as GMEN suggested and see the diff. close up and also see how long it takes me to break the copy:D

Yeah the clutch and tranny are diff. for the better I agree. The 125 I got here is actually pretty impressive for no mods, I like it.

azextreme
11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
I had the same ? back on 12-16-06 so I Emailed Extreme this is the response I got about the Baja Storm & Extreme Typhoon

Thank you for contacting Xtreme.

The same factory does build both units. However, we are not sure that the
units are exactly the same. We at Xtreme are very pleased with our product,
and our customers are very pleased as well with our service, warranty, and
parts departments. Please consider these factors as well when making your
purchase :)

And, above all, whatever you decide--Have a Merry Christmas and best of luck
with your new unit.

Sincerely,
Lynn Powell
Xtreme Motor Co.

azextreme
11-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Chad, The engines are different the storm has a crank mounted clutch and extreme is on the main shaft. So the extreme will handle more mods (increased power) where as the storm can not without snapping the crank.

chad.peterson
11-28-2007, 05:58 PM
My son is only 7 and we just do the sand dunes, so there really is no need to mod it right away, I need to rejet or get the 26mm carb for sure. I wonder if the Stage 1 kit will bust the crank or even work?

Is there shifting problems with the xtreme, my baja seem to have trouble finding neutral, I have not adjusted the clutch yet but I will try it, I am going to also fab up a heel shifter so it is easier for him to shift. Over all I am happy so far, 999.99 price tag and 10% discount.

If I do happen to mess up the engine does anybody know what the price of an 125 xtreme motor? I see the 146cc manual clutch motor is 1200.

What is the manufacture/model of the engine that is put in the xtreme.

Thanks

CP

rpowell
11-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey Chad just for giggles I would like to look up the manufacturer info on your Storm. Would you give me the first 3 digits of the VIN#?

chad.peterson
11-30-2007, 05:00 PM
LE8

Let me know what you find.

CP

rpowell
11-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks Chad. It's made at the same factory Xtreme is made at. You can use this link to check other models or just use it for fun with your friends bikes. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/manufacture/

Put the first 3 of any VIN# in the WMI field then click search. Learned this on another forum when I posted this same question.
Ron