PDA

View Full Version : TRX511 - lot's of torque and DASA pipe test

sandmanblue
11-12-2007, 08:47 PM
This was dyno'd at Racer's Edge in Tucson - a place where I will never do business again because of the guy named Morgan - on the board here as R3Concepts - what a complete arse that guy has turned out to be. Keep in mind that this was not supposed to be some hp king build - so save the comments about the lower hp numbers. This is just info. Peak numbers were 55.5 hp and 39.8 tq on a dyno that the operators have told me reads about 2 hp lower than the last dyno I used.

This is an 06 TRX with an Ice Cube 488 kit, +3 Hotrods Crank, HotCam 3, Venom porting, stock intake, stock carb, stock valves HRC header and WB E2 slip-on. Compression is about 14:1. It is ovbiously being limited by the intake, carb and exhaust.

RED line is best run, Black line is with a DASA pipe. The DASA pipe adds top and takes away bottom. It might work a lot better with other intake and carb mods.

Of note is that it makes over 50 hp from 7000 to 10,000 rpm. The clutch was slipping a bit too.

chad502ex
11-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
This was dyno'd at Racer's Edge in Tucson. Keep in mind that this was not supposed to be some hp king build - so save the comments about the lower hp numbers. This is just info. Peak numbers were 55.5 hp and 39.8 tq on a dyno that the operators have told me reads about 2 hp lower than the last dyno I used.

This is an 06 TRX with an Ice Cube 488 kit, +3 Hotrods Crank, HotCam 3, Venom porting, stock intake, stock carb, stock valves HRC header and WB E2 slip-on. Compression is about 14:1. It is ovbiously being limited by the intake, carb and exhaust.

RED line is best run, Black line is with a DASA pipe. The DASA pipe adds top and takes away bottom. It might work a lot better with other intake and carb mods.

Of note is that it makes over 50 hp from 7000 to 10,000 rpm. The clutch was slipping a bit too.

sorry Chucky that you are disappointed with your Venom build. I remember you posting that you thought it was going beyond 60... remember your ol' 477 made what your 511 is making now,...

Chuck, I'm not here to bag on you..... I just want to point out to you that all your builds thus far have one thing in common.... its not the intake, carb, or exhaust like your suggesting.... when you want to discount the other 'variable' that is inhibiting your monsters potential, pull that head off and have it flow tested.... there are many builders that will provide accurate flow testing for you for less than $100,... for that matter i'd offer digital flowbench testing with flow results to you free of charge straight up no bs... no sense in you spending more money on upgrading what your being told is inhibiting your power when the weakest link in the setup is between the components your being told is the problem...

anyway, thanks for sharing,.. good luck with your build.

sandmanblue
11-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm not disappointed. Thanks for not ragging on it.

This motor has always been about how far I could push the hp with stock intake, carb, valves and the HRC header. That's why they haven't been changed. I didn't know how far it would go without changing those. Now I do. I'm pretty blown away at the torque it makes. You and I both now there's a lot that can be done to make it pull bigger numbers. Part of that his bigger valves and probably revised porting.

As a hobby build, it's just fun to see what can be done. I would still contend that I'm a stones throw away from 60+ and here's why.

Look at the DASA pipe run. It's obvious that there's an exhaust limitation. That pipe added only 1/2 hp peak, but it extends almost flat past 8000 rpm. It's being choked off. (You personally might say it's the porting - that's okay, I understand your position).

Also - look at the afr's. no better than 12:1. Way too fat. There's another couple hp in the jetting too.

Because of all the crap surrounding this particular dyno, I don't want to use it again. There's too much room for error. I'll use the same one I did last time (KMS's Dynojet) which is very close to Matt's and Mixxers as far as numbers go. In any event, I think it's possible to add another 4.5 with intake/carb/bigger valves/headwork added to the benefits of another exhaust.

That's for next time. For now, it will get ridden a bit...

:)

chad502ex
11-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
I'm not disappointed. Thanks for not ragging on it.

(You personally might say it's the porting - that's okay, I understand your position).

Because of all the crap surrounding this particular dyno, I don't want to use it again. There's too much room for error. I'll use the same one I did last time (KMS's Dynojet) which is very close to Matt's and Mixxers as far as numbers go. In any event, I think it's possible to add another 2.5 with intake/carb/bigger valves/headwork added to the benefits of another exhaust.

Well, its good that your not disappointed when you ride it. Dynos can be real humbling to say the least. KMS has always been a reputable company. ..

not to dig on who did the porting,... I'd reiterate it to anyone regardless of the porter... lets try to get past that for just one minute so we can get to other info that would help....

ever seen my flowbench results on a stock 06 carb and what the stock fcr carbs flows at 28"? or how about the capacity of flow using stock valves at 28"? making these bigger would increase flowrates and raise power for ya, but these components can flow plenty for 60hp under your displacement, theoretically. I hope your being explained this...

sandmanblue
11-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Those are things that are useful to know. I don't know of anyone that discusses flow bench testing nearly as much as you, so no, it hasn't been talked about.

Like I said, for right now, I'm gonna ride it. Who knows where things will go. I seem to get a lot of ppl suggesting to do more stuff. There certainly isn't a lack of ppl giving advice on the net! :)

Right now, I just want to enjoy it and have some fun. If I mod it more, we'll all see what happens and who I used to help out.

Nobody, well maybe except Trinity (hehehehe) is off my list of people that could help me build more power.

250r4life
11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
my only question is when do i get a crack at that thing at olds?

sandmanblue
11-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
my only question is when do i get a crack at that thing at olds?

In two days! I'm going with several ppl on the 17th.

PM me if ya can make it!

250r4life
11-19-2007, 09:15 AM
nope... im going thursday, but will be at gordons well...

i think i may be going with GPRacer on the 6th of December or something like that, and i imagine we will be going to Glamis...

250r4life
01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
im still wanting to get a crack at this thing... any more glamis trips planned this season?