PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Front brakes

southex
11-06-2002, 08:24 PM
I purchased an '86 250r this weekend and I got it home after the first ride and the front brakes completly locked up. Any help on the matter would be appreciated, thanks.

Gusto
11-06-2002, 09:44 PM
First off, I would check the res' and make sure it's still full. If so see what color it is. IF its cloudy and dark then it's over due for a change. Then check the front end, see if the rotors/pads are wore down and if one side is worn more than the other..if so then changes need to be done. Also you can pull the tire and the calipers and stick a wedge in between the calipers and slowly squeeze the brakes and see if the pistons move...if one is frozen then you need to replace the parts....also look for corrosion on the piston and worn o-rings and rubber parts..ie torn/missing. Brakes can be tire sum....but don't be afraid of them...it's not all that bad once you've done it.

Gusto
11-06-2002, 09:45 PM
First thing that I forgot...try bleeding them again! Sorry bout' that.

southex
11-07-2002, 04:44 PM
thats usually the problem, i hate tearing into something in case i screw it up. but i will give those things a try and see what happens. thanks for the help gusto!

southex
11-08-2002, 10:54 AM
well here's the situation. i drained the brake fluid and one of the front brakes released (the other did not). and to top it all off i can't seem to get any pressure in the line, tried to repeat and still nothing. what a nightmare...any suggestions would be good.
thanks guys.

Gusto
11-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Are these rubber brake lines or steel braided? the steel braided brake lines are a bear to bleed w/o a bleeder! I would fill the res back up and see if fluid is going through to the brake in question. If your doing it manually your going to have to "pump" the brake lever for awhile to push the fluid thru.

If the brake is totally frozen then your going to have to take it off the rotor and see what happened. Most likely it has a tear/hole in the rubber boot that goes around the piston that pushes your brake pad out , it may be corroded or something else...or your inner parts are clogged. You can take it apart and replace the bad parts if this is the case. Maybe you just have to go thru all the little parts and clean them up, never know. If you don't have a manual see if you can borrow/library and make copies or buy it, to help you through the process?

w/o seeing the brake it's hard to trouble shoot. Have faith you can work it out! It's always better to know you can fix your own and save the 55 an hour for a mech :p

southex
11-10-2002, 12:40 PM
sorry, gone for 2 days.
i will try those suggestions and see what happens.
trust me, i don't want to spend 55/hour so i will play with it till it works.
thanks again gusto