PDA

View Full Version : Engine Builder!!

GIXXER1KR
11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I have shopped for prices from all the site sponsors from all the forums and they all seem to be about the same as the bigger names like Baldwin,Dasa, and Rage.Mt buddy sent his whole motor to Baldwin and had him do it all and it is very reliable.I am pretty sure im gonna send my motor to Baldwin and have it all done there...Any input would be great!!!

pro-rider46
11-12-2007, 06:57 PM
what are you plans as far as modifications, i bet chad can beat those prices and get you a better race ready motor and be extremely reliable

450R_lover
11-12-2007, 07:09 PM
i agree...

Pojo450r
11-12-2007, 07:10 PM
check chads price first he knows what he is doin thats for sure.

Dave400ex
11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Send it to Moto-Xperts. I have seen his porting against the others and there isn't a comparison. Plus his pricing is way better then the three you mentioned.

Moto-Xperts (http://moto-xperts.com/page13.php)

Ty's400
11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Send it to Moto-Xperts. I have seen his porting against the others and there isn't a comparison. Plus his pricing is way better then the three you mentioned.

Moto-Xperts (http://moto-xperts.com/page13.php)

I second that :D, you wouldn't believe how crappy some of the big name port jobs really are

400exrider707
11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Ty's400
I second that :D, you wouldn't believe how crappy some of the big name port jobs really are

Where did you see this? Most pro engine builders do NOT put out their best port work for us average joes, no matter what. I doubt many people if any have seen actual dynos of pro builders "Pro porting"

Ty's400
11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Ever heard of Brock Lyons or Cody Anderson I've seen their cylinder heads off race bikes before they had Toby Reed of Moto X-perts do them. I'm not out to knock anyone or create any criticism. Just saying I've seen the difference and it's surprising. I can't imagine what an average Joe may receive. I do know there are other good engine builders. All I'm simply stating is that Moto X-perts is doing great things! You should check the site out.

GIXXER1KR
11-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Ive checked with Chad seeing he actually does flow bench testing taking the guess work out but to do an MX build it was almost $1600 and thats keeping my motor and me doing it myself.I still cant decide.I have heard good and bad about everyone.So i have to take a shot at it very soon.Its getting very cold here!!!

pro-rider46
11-12-2007, 09:32 PM
well what all are you looking for to do?

GIXXER1KR
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Full port,race piston,valves if it needs it,cam,and maybe a bigger bore depending on price.looking for the most RELIABLE power.I know my buddies baldwin motor goes pretty good but i dont think id get the build that Mark is capable of!!!

xsr_racing28c
11-13-2007, 07:49 AM
All I gotta say is.............................. D R G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chad502ex
11-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
Ive checked with Chad seeing he actually does flow bench testing taking the guess work out but to do an MX build it was almost $1600 and thats keeping my motor and me doing it myself.I still cant decide.I have heard good and bad about everyone.So i have to take a shot at it very soon.Its getting very cold here!!!

huh? I charge $400 for port and flow,... what did you want? was it more than porting..

THX XSR!

tank69
11-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Send it to Moto-Xperts. I have seen his porting against the others and there isn't a comparison.

So tell me how can some of you "SEE" a good or bad port job? Seriously, there is no way you can tell if a port job is good or bad by visually looking at it. Sure, you may see imperfections of the cutting/grinding involved ie. bigger/smaller ports, etc., but the only way to tell if a port job is any good is on a flow bench and then a dyno.

chad502ex
11-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by tank69
So tell me how can some of you "SEE" a good or bad port job? Seriously, there is no way you can tell if a port job is good or bad by visually looking at it. Sure, you may see imperfections of the cutting/grinding involved ie. bigger/smaller ports, etc., but the only way to tell if a port job is any good is on a flow bench and then a dyno.

not from my experience... I can easily tell by looking into the port and see where the porter 'found' or missed the areas to recover lost flow.

xsr_racing28c
11-13-2007, 09:06 AM
I can't say enough good things about my DRG build. When I sent my motor to Chad, I was extremely happy with the continuous amount of communication between him and I which gave me the comfort I needed when my motor was in his possesion....

The power is endless and I feel more than comfotable with the reliability of this motor. After Ice Racing season i will be going with the DRG 15:1 race piston that Chad has developed along with a heavier cam, though I really don't need it.

Just a heads up though, get a long swinger so you can keep the front wheels on the ground.. ;)

~Jay

spanky101
11-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Do not forget Hetrick Racing, everyone over there does great work and for a reasonable price!

tank69
11-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
not from my experience... I can easily tell by looking into the port and see where the porter 'found' or missed the areas to recover lost flow.

OK, how do you know that your interpretation of found/lost flow is the same as the engine builders? I'm just saying, way too many variables involved to "see" a good port job, it's just not possible. Now, if someone goes in there with a grinder and starts hacking away, yeah, that would be a visibly bad port job! ;)

TURBO-530R
11-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Well I am very picky who I have build my race engines and I will give it to Chad to have him make my stock bore 471 lay down almost 65 hp and 40 ft lb torque I was in shock. My 530 made less than that. I have watched him find allot of power on the flow bench and then its backed up on a Dyno And at the Drag strip with my stock bore 471 laying down a 12.2 1/4 mile run.
What more can you ask for as in proof. If any one has any questions about his work I can vouch for it and as for reliability I have pounded this thing with no problems.

Look

TURBO-530R
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks Chad

chad502ex
11-13-2007, 08:00 PM
thank you TURBO-530R. I appreciate your good words. Just wait its not over yet...

the_one
11-14-2007, 12:36 AM
I don't know much about Chad, I have not used his product, neither has anyone I know. So I cannot say anything. Joe Rossier, from Rossier Eng may not be pushing the limits ie:15-1 big cams but will build a competent motor. Mike from ATP is someone who is not a big name but it's a company that will do there best to make you happy, they will build what you ask. John from Venom in another builder who is not huge, though he can push the limits and give big numbers, with a reliable package.

Sadly some of what i have seen about the big builder is that don't have time to cater to the small buyer. So component wise they may be good but in complete assembly, due to volume they can fall far behind the small guy who can deliver more value per dollar.

It's your buck, so spend a few callling around and talking to different builder's. See if they will talk to you! <- 1st priority. Second know your needs, & give the same list to each builder. Third check around on other sites, even non trx450r related. These guys will work on more than one kind of motor. Fourth (I don't think I have much more then this), it is !!!YOUR MONEY!!! after all, spend it where you feel comfortable. Not where you feel pressure, or where you think it will make you popular.

"All you should care about is roosting the guy behind you. While looking forward to roosting the unfortunate B@$t@rd in front of you." - the_one p.s. "Just have fun!"

tank69
11-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by TURBO-530R
I have watched him find allot of power on the flow bench and then its backed up on a Dyno And at the Drag strip.
What more can you ask for as in proof. as for reliability I have pounded this thing with no problems.

That's what I'm talking about, something to back up the claims by ANY motor builder. As for reliability, how long have you had the motor and how often do you replace piston/rings? Your quad is drag raced only, right?

As a desert racer, I'd sacrifice a few HP for 500+ mile reliability.

GIXXER1KR
11-14-2007, 09:43 AM
That is what scares me about the bigger companies.Lets see spend all day on John Natalies motor or mine...We all know the answer.Thats is the thing thats making me look more toward the smaller names that dont spend all there money on sponsorship,websites and promotions!!!

GIXXER1KR
11-14-2007, 09:52 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

huh? I charge $400 for port and flow,... what did you want? was it more than porting..

Chad shoot me a PM...I see really good feed back from your customers except from the ones who make it a point to piss you off!!!:) And would i be better off sending you my whole motor or what.And should i stay with a stock bore?Power vs Reliability vs price!!!But you did pm me a list but it consisted of race piston,port,valves,+1 mm valves,cam and so on.Give me a phone # too.I think we can square more away on the phone!!!Thanks Bill PS a dyno and bench flow test make all the difference in the world;)

TURBO-530R
11-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I thinkChad is out of town he will get back to you soon Jim

rollie
11-14-2007, 08:23 PM
GIXXER1KR, Have you checked out BCS Performance? there right in south hadley MA and build some killer engines, he will give you a good price too im sure. he builds Justin hofflers and matt pomeroy's engines and they RIP in the NEATV Pro class

Also Robbs out of new hampshire is someone else to look at.

GIXXER1KR
11-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Rollie i am glad to hear that.I had them in mind but had my doubts because they were so close..LOL!!!Im gonna give em a call....I just spoke with Jay and i think im gonna bring him my motor.New crank,port,high comp piston,and valves making 52-55 HP with an in house dyno to prove it right in MA 2 hours away!!!!