PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Title?

dirtbike&quad
11-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Kid at school is selling his 2000 VW Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr. its pretty sick and he's willing to work out a deal for me. he wants around $4000 for it.

heres the mods:
20th Edition GTI Exhaust System
Neuspeed P-Chip (all the paperwork is there)
Short Ram Cone Intake
Heated seats
Two rear spoilers
Tinted windows
Pioneer CD player
Short shifter
New MOMA pedals
Interior floor lightning
A-pillar boost and battery gauges
Headlight eyelids and joy mod
Painted fire extinguisher
Turbo timer, and many other little things

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v136/218/34/1330380018/n1330380018_30127519_1547.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v136/218/34/1330380018/n1330380018_30127520_1717.jpg

Problem is, it has a salvage title. what does this mean exactly? what would it effect?

-Mike

89dc240
11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
And I guess it's never been race either?

A salvage title can mean a few things, I didn't bother to see where you are located, but in some states, it just means a huge headache, follwed by more huge headaches. Did he buy the car with a salvage title? If so, then ask him, he knows exactly the bull**** he had to go through. Ever heard of buying an unmodded car?

Keep looking. Only advice I can give ya.

dirtbike&quad
11-12-2007, 06:45 PM
i dont really understand what youre saying...?

Ghost-Rider
11-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Just pass it up, salvage titles are bad, nobody wants a salvaged car. The resale will suck so bad. And who knows what happened to it.

89dc240
11-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I meant to say "raced" , as in, did he tell you he never raced it? Seriously, I would stay away. Why does it have a salvage title. Was it wrecked real bad, a flood car, they don't just give salvage titles for no reason. 4 grand is a decent price I guess, but you can bet he's spent most of hit time up near redline. How many miles are on it?

A salvage title can affect the ability of you to get a new title for it in your name, and it affects resale value because you know it's been ****ed up. Does it drive straight?

dirtbike&quad
11-12-2007, 07:09 PM
you cant really say...no one wants a salvage car...because some are really nice. i am going to get the whole scoop from him and call the original owner.

it has 79,000 miles. and knowing the kid that owns it, i dont think he had it at redline much lol

mittman
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
def stay away from salvage bad thing means it could of been wrecked and someone fixed it. i would buy it if i didnt have a truck but i would need some more horses its a nce car and for 4,000 bucks not bad but stay away

11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
That thing is clean. Salvage or not that's a good deal. I'm pretty sure you can get rid of a salvage title too.

11-12-2007, 07:32 PM
wow you guys got it all wrong. My dad buys cars of auctions where cars have been crashed and after an accident a car is selected a salvage or clean title. All salvage means is that the car had to be inspected at the state dmv again and pass the final inspection to check if everything was fixed corectly and if the car is road ready. Cars that have been crashed also are classified as clean titles which means they just need to be fixed no need for a state inspection. Many people are scared of salvage cars but I dont see why. Just find out if the car has been in any big accidents and why its a salvage, some cars become salvage titles from stupid damage like a stolen radio. And that's a nice looking gls I would snatch that for that price

dirtbike&quad
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
i told him to send me some interior pics and some more pics so i can post it up on here and for you to let me know what you think...but im going to research the whole salvage thing more

trx400EXtreme
11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
dang i bet that things a rocket in the corners.

mineralgrey01gt
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
always stay away from salvage unless you really know what happened to the car

dirtbike&quad
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
im going to find out all the info hopefully soon

ShiftFMX
11-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Is there a difference between a salvage title and a Rebuilt Title??

ThatKid
11-12-2007, 08:17 PM
You could probably buy it, strip the entire car, and sell everything and have enough money for a better (not messed up) car.

derekhonda
11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
I always thought salvage meant it was totally, owner opted to buy it back and fix it, and then had to have it retitled under salvage. Either way, If it runs good and drives fine, 4g's sounds like a hella deal. I know i picked up a cbr 600f3 that had a salvage title a few years ago for like 1700 bucks, road it two summers, and sold it for 2 grand. Some are good deals, some are gonna be lemons, just look it over REEEEEEEAAAAAAL good.

troyleepred719
11-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
I always thought salvage meant it was totally, owner opted to buy it back and fix it, and then had to have it retitled under salvage. Either way, If it runs good and drives fine, 4g's sounds like a hella deal. I know i picked up a cbr 600f3 that had a salvage title a few years ago for like 1700 bucks, road it two summers, and sold it for 2 grand. Some are good deals, some are gonna be lemons, just look it over REEEEEEEAAAAAAL good.

hit the nail on the head for new yorkers

zukirules
11-12-2007, 09:59 PM
if you don't buy it, i will, just check to make sure the frames good, other than that, 4 grands so cheap :eek2:

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by zukirules
if you don't buy it, i will, just check to make sure the frames good, other than that, 4 grands so cheap :eek2:

frame??? that car doesn't have a frame.

it has a suspension cross member that holds up the motor but not a frame...

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
Kid at school is selling his 2000 VW Golf GLS 1.8T 4dr. its pretty sick and he's willing to work out a deal for me. he wants around $4000 for it.

heres the mods:
20th Edition GTI Exhaust System
Neuspeed P-Chip (all the paperwork is there)
Short Ram Cone Intake
Heated seats
Two rear spoilers
Tinted windows
Pioneer CD player
Short shifter
New MOMA pedals
Interior floor lightning
A-pillar boost and battery gauges
Headlight eyelids and joy mod
Painted fire extinguisher
Turbo timer, and many other little things

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v136/218/34/1330380018/n1330380018_30127519_1547.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v136/218/34/1330380018/n1330380018_30127520_1717.jpg

Problem is, it has a salvage title. what does this mean exactly? what would it effect?

-Mike

i have NO idea about the car, don't like VW.

but, a salvage title is not a road title. you need to get the car inspected at the state police or DMV before you can get a new title for it. basically what they do is check to make sure the car was fixed with no stolen parts and that it is ready for the road. but it is NOT a full inspection like a shop will do where they check the saftey components of the car.

i buy and sell salvaged cars ALL DAY LONG EVERY DAY. as long as you look the car over well and make sure its in good shape, go for it.

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by 89dc240
And I guess it's never been race either?

A salvage title can mean a few things, I didn't bother to see where you are located, but in some states, it just means a huge headache, follwed by more huge headaches. Did he buy the car with a salvage title? If so, then ask him, he knows exactly the bull**** he had to go through. Ever heard of buying an unmodded car?

Keep looking. Only advice I can give ya.

they can be headaches but 99% of the time it is easy as cake to switch over to a good title. it will just be branded with an R to make sure people know the car has been fixed before.

all he needs to do is take the car to the DMV or state police station, they will once over the car, sign off on it and he can get a real title. pretty easy in my book to save yourself Alot of money sometimes.

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
you cant really say...no one wants a salvage car...because some are really nice. i am going to get the whole scoop from him and call the original owner.

it has 79,000 miles. and knowing the kid that owns it, i dont think he had it at redline much lol

exactly. until i bought my ram all i owned were salvaged vehicles. actually, untill the last round of vehicles my WHOLE family bought new, they were ALL salvaged vehicles. and all nice has h3ll

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by mittman
def stay away from salvage bad thing means it could of been wrecked and someone fixed it. i would buy it if i didnt have a truck but i would need some more horses its a nce car and for 4,000 bucks not bad but stay away

nice car....but stay away????

that doesn't make any sense. if its nice then go for it. so what if the title is a salvaged title. that is easy to fix.

people wreck there cars ALL the time and are fixed, you could buy that car and not have any idea it was wrecked.

this one was just deemed a loss to the insurance company to fix it. that could be for any number of reasons.

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Is there a difference between a salvage title and a Rebuilt Title??

salvaged titles are turned into rebuilt titles. or R titles.

you can not put a 'salvaged title' car on the road. it needs to be inspected and then it becomes an R title.

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Polak1035
wow you guys got it all wrong. My dad buys cars of auctions where cars have been crashed and after an accident a car is selected a salvage or clean title. All salvage means is that the car had to be inspected at the state dmv again and pass the final inspection to check if everything was fixed corectly and if the car is road ready. Cars that have been crashed also are classified as clean titles which means they just need to be fixed no need for a state inspection. Many people are scared of salvage cars but I dont see why. Just find out if the car has been in any big accidents and why its a salvage, some cars become salvage titles from stupid damage like a stolen radio. And that's a nice looking gls I would snatch that for that price

just want to add one thing to that.

they are not ROAD inspected to change the titles over. they are inspected for the repairs only. making sure you use correct and not stolen parts.

we buy 500-600 cars a year with salvaged titles. most of them go to our salvage yard, but we do drive and sell alot of them.

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
always stay away from salvage unless you really know what happened to the car

thats way to much of a blanket statement. if you inspect the car and it all looks and drives well, why would you pass it up just because of a salvage title.

i have a jeep that i drive right now, it was deemed a salvaged title because it was stolen and not returned to the owner within then 90 day period. it needed a tire, wheel, softtop and ignition. there was NO body damage, it was not wrecked, flooded or fire. it never got run into anything or anyone. it was a 100% running vehicle other then the ignition. it had a salvaged title tho. so obviously they are not all bad.

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda

that is one way they are salvaged. but most of the time if you buy the car back from the insurance they dont' make it a salvaged tite. they give you a clean title.

anyone can buy salvaged cars at auctions around the country, rebuild them and sell them. so i have gotten some pretty damn good deals doign that. like my wrangler i drive now that i have less then 2k into and have a running awesome jeep.

dirtbike&quad
11-13-2007, 03:49 PM
gbcap thanks for all the info. im going to find out what happened to the car. i appreciate all the info

gbcap
11-13-2007, 05:00 PM
no problem. i wish more people were educated on this topic. there is no reason to pass up a good car just cause of the title. if you have any questions send me a PM. i am in maryland and some things are going to be different, but they should be pretty close.

exrider008
11-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Every single car my family owns is a salvage title. my mom has a 2007 grand prix GT (theft recovery) , i have a 2003 dodge ram 2500 (Took a hard shot in the front) , i had a 2001 grand am(hit in the rear) ,and my sister has a 2004 dodge neon(Hard shot in the front). They all drive perfectly and we haven't had a single problem with them relating to it being a salvage title. The only salvage car i would never buy is a flood vehicle because in most cases they have a ton of electrical problems. I wouldn't let the fact that it has a salvage title scare you from buying it.

01exrider
11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
well i rolled my truck not to long ago and it had a rebuilt title and not trying to scare u away from the vw but my air bags didnt go off and the junk yard said my switch to make them go off was crushed and should have went off..that will make me never buy another rebuilt titled car

dirtbike&quad
11-14-2007, 01:59 PM
i'm trying to get the whole scoop from him. hes busy with college right now though lol