PDA

View Full Version : Lawson + Can Am = incredible

blakefoote
11-12-2007, 02:19 PM
i talked to someone this weekend and asked about Lawson and his can am...they said that on his practice track in Florida he has already gained 3 seconds on his lap times :eek2: he just got it like 3 or 4 weeks ago and he has already progressed this much!!! WOW its gonna be a fast 2008!!!!

JRP
11-12-2007, 02:26 PM
thats really sick! lawson is one of my favorite riders, and im so glad he is finally getting the support he needs! id say he will finish in the top 3 or 5 next year!

440racer66
11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
haha he finished 2nd this year im thinkin ole byrd is gonna take second to lawson

JRP
11-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 440racer66
haha he finished 2nd this year im thinkin ole byrd is gonna take second to lawson

hes only gonna run the GNC's again?

440racer66
11-12-2007, 03:43 PM
yeah they have two can am teams haha john is wpsa greg gee is gnc with lawson haha i chill with them at nats with tommy tantillo they are super cool o yeah if you break anything on your honda find tommy he will help you out as much as possible

pred174
11-12-2007, 04:23 PM
i not here to say anything about lawson i just hope he has much better luck then the worcs racers have had with them......the last two races none of them even finished all dnf's

trick250r
11-12-2007, 06:02 PM
from what i hear, the can-am reps that came to my area were f***ing stupid. my sponsor is a local dealership that sells honda and yamaha so can-am sent some reps to see about a dealership. when asked how the right hand drive (the sprocket is on the right side) was working out for them, they had no clue what my sponsor was talking about. not to mention the fact that they said that their stock can-am axle (which is hollow) would stand up to a lonestar or rpm as far as strength goes. after that, i would never buy one.

Ex_Rider43
11-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by trick250r
from what i hear, the can-am reps that came to my area were f***ing stupid. my sponsor is a local dealership that sells honda and yamaha so can-am sent some reps to see about a dealership. when asked how the right hand drive (the sprocket is on the right side) was working out for them, they had no clue what my sponsor was talking about. not to mention the fact that they said that their stock can-am axle (which is hollow) would stand up to a lonestar or rpm as far as strength goes. after that, i would never buy one.

true that , the axles are very weak on those things,

but with all the budget this race team has , I dont think they will dnf' during the MX races.

MX450
11-12-2007, 09:29 PM
yea thats awsome, lawson is one of my favorite riders.

off topic but blakefoote do you race at the mountain in tn? white trx with fox? ive raced up there once your name sounds familiar..

troyleepred719
11-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Im waiting on Natalie, to see what tricks he pulls out next season...and Greg Gee, if he is all John sums him up to be, may be up there with the vets...

Dale512
11-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I dont see why it matters whether the chain is on the right or the left side. Whats the difference? Also do you guys have any proof that the hollow axle on the DS is weak? Just because it's hollow doesnt mean it's weak. Infact it may actually end up being stronger.

07250ex
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Dale512
I dont see why it matters whether the chain is on the right or the left side. Whats the difference? Also do you guys have any proof that the hollow axle on the DS is weak? Just because it's hollow doesnt mean it's weak. Infact it may actually end up being stronger. when the chains on the left gravitational pull from the solar system pulls on it causing it to move very easily while when its on the right the moon exerts negative gravitational pull causing it to have to fight to move forward

Punk'd
11-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I dont see why it matters whether the chain is on the right or the left side. Whats the difference? Also do you guys have any proof that the hollow axle on the DS is weak? Just because it's hollow doesnt mean it's weak. Infact it may actually end up being stronger.

Ditto:confused:

hondaracer305
11-13-2007, 12:44 AM

i woulda had no clue wut he was talkin about either if he said left hand drive on my honda, if u didnt put that in parenthasese, haha ;) that wouldnt keep me from buying one though :confused:

bwamos
11-13-2007, 06:24 AM

It doesn't matter at all.

The reason motorcycles generally have left side drive is because of the desire to put the kickstarter on the right side of the motorcycles. With e-start, it doesn't make a dang bit of difference.

Sales Reps are generally just glorified salesmen. Many, if not most, in all industries do not "know" the product thet are pushing. I would wager that the honda/yamaha reps wouldn't be any better. Go find a Honda rep and ask him about the center drive on the 700xx. I bet he wouldn't have any useful info either. ;)

quadmonkey
11-13-2007, 07:43 AM

Don't you know that it helps the quad slide around turns to the right easier than the left side drive quads :devil:

trick250r
11-13-2007, 08:08 AM

im trying to say that if the sales reps dont even know about thier product, why in the hell would anyone buy it. its like going to mcdonalds, ordering a big mac, and the guy saying im sorry, we dont know how to put the burger together so we just put it in a bag for you all jumbled up.

quadmonkey
11-13-2007, 08:15 AM
im trying to say that if the sales reps dont even know about thier product, why in the hell would anyone buy it. its like going to mcdonalds, ordering a big mac, and the guy saying im sorry, we dont know how to put the burger together so we just put it in a bag for you all jumbled up.

I agree that salespeople should know their product inside and out, but most (not all) salespeople will tell you what you want to hear to get you to buy the product.

54warrior
11-13-2007, 08:26 AM
It's obvious some of you have never purchased a new vehicle before. Car salesmen are the worst for this.

and the right/left drive thing is a non issue

and the hollow axle could potentially be stronger.

Here's a carbon fiber one!!!!

http://tinypic.com/id5a8x.jpg

trxwannbe
11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
no offense or anything but those carbon fiber axles snap like a twig if you put em through a serious moto

LTR450_#67
11-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I have no experience with the CF axles but I know there are 1-2 companies that build them for drag racing. The one company is experimenting with a MX width axle though.

Ex_Rider43
11-13-2007, 10:21 AM
and with that kind of rear tires I bet they put them to the test.

54warrior
11-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by trxwannbe
no offense or anything but those carbon fiber axles snap like a twig if you put em through a serious moto

That's just an old photo (circa 2002/03) of the CF axle that Cannondale was working on, along with that swingarm as well.

As far as snapping like a twig, yeah, that's what would happen IF it were to break. I'll guarantee that only a select few have ever even SEEN, let alone RIDDEN a machine with a CF axle though. Until you present some evidence to back up your implied knowledge on the subject, I'll be interpreting your response as an OPINION, rather than first hand knowledge, because I doubt that a) you've ever seen a CF axle, b) you've ever ridden a quad with a CF axle, and possibly c) you are merely a skeptic who doesn't think that it would work, simply because it was being developed by C'dale.

blakefoote
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by MX450
yea thats awsome, lawson is one of my favorite riders.

off topic but blakefoote do you race at the mountain in tn? white trx with fox? ive raced up there once your name sounds familiar..

Yep thats me...

HondaATC500X
11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Lawson was hella fast on the TRX, haven't got to see him ride the new DS yet but it sounds like hes smokin on it.

MX450
11-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by blakefoote
Yep thats me...

thought so.. you goin to the banquet this weekend?

blakefoote
11-13-2007, 02:26 PM
thought so.. you goin to the banquet this weekend?

nah i didnt attend enough of them to make the banquet this year...i got 2nd in the points but just didnt show at enough of them...ill be in crossville this weekend

MX450
11-13-2007, 03:09 PM
i didnt go to enough either but im goin to ride for free anyways

blakefoote
11-15-2007, 11:31 AM
i didnt go to enough either but im goin to ride for free anyways

yeah..well i have a race in crossville this weekend...

ThePhantomRider
11-15-2007, 02:03 PM
By far the best material to make an axle out of is Airmat....you really won't find any literature on it, but let me tell you, they make Indycar axles out of this stuff and you can take a hollow axle, twist it 180° and it will return back to it's normal shape.

Started being used in medical ipliments for heart surgeries, it can be flexable and filed down to a microscopic point.

At some point, I believe Penske found out about this stuff and had axles made of it and the rest is history....

Rarely will these break, and they take a hell of alot of stress off the tranny, oh and they are feather light.

There was discussion with Epic a while back with my father in law who knows were to get things made with this stuff, but for quad use, the cost would be way too much.

As for a CF axle, it all depends on how much kevlar is used in the sandwich. The CF is ridgid, the Kevlar gives it strength....if done proper, it would be very light and very strong.

TPR