PDA

View Full Version : new problem

tman12345
11-12-2007, 12:37 PM
so today i was supposed to go riding and this morning i went to start my quad and it would not, tried pop starting down hill and behind a quad but it was no go. So then we got some jumper cables jumped it on my truck, it a little while though. so then we were riding and later when i turned it off the battery still dead or something, it cranks and then slowly gets slower til it no longer will crank the engine. I had charged the battery about 2 weeks ago and bought the battery 4 weeks ago. i need help.

00.400ex#55
11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
do you have an after market rev box? if so that will explaine everything.

zdowell
11-12-2007, 01:54 PM
You shouldn't use a car battery to jump your quad. Not saying it doesn't work, but they will fry ****. You should use like a lawn mower or something with the same cca. Just saying though... sucks you are having problems...

tman12345
11-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 00.400ex#55
do you have an after market rev box? if so that will explaine everything.
whats a rev box? i don't think i have an aftermarket one.

drew416ex
11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Its the same thing as the cdi. ITs a little black box above the right front shock. I have an aftermarket one but have never had a problem out of it.

jesse1983
11-21-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm having this happen too. replaced the battery because i figured mine was dead and the new one is doing the same thing. it just tries to start less and less each time, until it won't try at all. not really sure what to do. it's like the battery is draining itself while not is use...

slow96hater
11-21-2007, 11:20 AM
maybe both of your guys stators are bad, and while your rideing, they're not chargeing, leading you to dead batterys.

like the dud up above said, NEVER jump your bike with a car battery. even tho they;re both 12v systems, the car has waaaayyyyyy more amperage, and can take out your whole ignition system. i did it once, trust me.

f150mann
11-21-2007, 02:12 PM
could be stator, could be solenoid, could be the starter dragging.

tman12345
11-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by jesse1983
I'm having this happen too. replaced the battery because i figured mine was dead and the new one is doing the same thing. it just tries to start less and less each time, until it won't try at all. not really sure what to do. it's like the battery is draining itself while not is use... \
hey if you get it fixed could you tell me the problem, if i do i'll tell you, it really sucks not being able to ride.

86 Quad R
11-26-2007, 09:42 AM
are you guys following the instructions that are with the new battery? when purchased new, these batteries are dry and require that they be filled with the furnished acid. then charged for a recommended period of time.

in most cases if you simply fill the batteries and install the cell strip. the battery will start the quad but will not last as they should and develope symtoms as you describe.

what i suggest is that you start with a fresh battery and once you have the quad starting, take and measure across the positive and negative terminals with and without the engine running and compare the voltages. with the engine running you should have above 13 volts and 12 to 12.5 when its not runing.

if the voltage isnt above 13 while running then the system isnt charging.