PDA

View Full Version : New quad time.

ThatKid
11-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I've had my 250ex for a little bit less than a year now and, well being nearly 6' tall on that little of a machine isn't too comfortable. Not too mention that it feel a bit sluggish after having the chance to ride a big Can-Am Outlander 500 for a few days.

I'm going to be going used and I want something that will be a capable trail bike (lots of tight winding single track) and something will move pretty good since all of the trails are interconnected with logging roads. And it will see it's fair share of riding in the sand pits around me as well.

It's going to be used, as I'm not made of money.

My criteria is-
+reasonably priced
+large aftermarket support

That's pretty much it.

I've got quite a large selection of used bikes around me too, so it's pretty much anything goes.

Backstabber
11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
I just starting riding trails and I realized that ground clearance is a big issue. I ride a 400ex thats been good to me but doesn't have the clearance I need. I also ride with raptor 700r's but they also lack the ground clearance you need on the trails. I would recommend the outlaw 525 IRS. I know its a polairs but actually the motor is a 510cc KTM. This might help with your descision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUa1ivOYTcY

porscheguy944
11-19-2007, 12:41 AM
buy a good used frame and do what I did custom make what you wish the factorys would build you if they realy knew what you wanted.A big light fast wide long travel quad that handled like a wet dream.
So here is what I came up with for myself for under $2000.00 cash and a little time and effort....what do you think was it worth it or not.

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/rhedstromii/

Backstabber
11-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Thats pretty cool! The fabricator in me wants to come back out and build something with independent rear. A wide, powerful trail monster with lots of ground clearance. Heres a pic of my quad and I flying.:devil:

porscheguy944
11-19-2007, 10:54 PM
looks like your up there a ways.......what do you plan on doing to it next?Nice looking quad,:)

Backstabber
11-20-2007, 09:32 AM
I quit doing freestyle so now I ride the trails with my friends. I'm a firefighter and I can't afford to get hurt on my quad doing freestyle. Hitting the trails is fun though, its kinda like going snowmobiling with your friends. Good times! I just added a tooth on the front sprocket and dropped two on the rear for some cheap top end. Next I'll probably buy a taller tire for some ground clearance out on the trails. Motor is fresh so I wont touch that for a while. :devil:

ZSNOW
03-01-2008, 08:17 PM
if you are planning on getting taller tires. dump the lower gears...cuz thatll be six clutches a ride lol

Iliketogofast
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
400EX or Z400 is the way to go for you.

I went like this...

XR70>200SX>250EX>400EX>250R

400EX is enough of a power upgrade, plus you'll be dealing with a clutch and much nicer handling.

After that you could go to a 450 or a 250R, or if you aren't interested in that, an open class like a Raptor or Banshee. After the 400EX you're pretty much ready for anything.