PDA

View Full Version : ltr and the trails?

mach1stang
11-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey guys, I am really getting tired of not having a quad to ride, so I am selling alot of stuff from another hobby I have to help support the funds to buy a new quad. Right now I am bouncing back and forth between brands and stuff like that. I mainly ride out in pastures in my area (I have over 8 acres) but some freinds of ours go to croom and other spots like that, so mainly trails and stuff in that nature no MX or anything crazy. So my questions are is this quad reliable? and how good of a trail quad is it?

LTandRaptorider
11-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I have had my LTR for about a year and a half now. I have had no reliability issues. Or any other issues, for that matter. I did some flat track racing, but mainly rode trails with it. First thing I did was put full skids on it, and put 20" rear tires on. My other quad is an LT250R that I've had for about 10 years and really like. The LTR is the first 4-stroke I've felt just as comfortable on as my LT250. My LT is set up almost 50 " wide, so the LTR is no big deal to me at 49"! About a month ago I finally got around to putting a 13 tooth front sprocket on, which is highly recommended when going with 20" rear tires. The 13 tooth makes it much more trail friendly, less shifting in the woods. It will lug in tight stuff in second gear with no probs. Going up hills the LTR shines also. You can get the "R's" up quickly, and have the torque benefits of a 4-stroke for keeping you going! If you know people with other quads like the 450R or YFZ, see if you can take them for a ride. But I don't think you'd be disappointed with the LTR. :cool:

mach1stang
11-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah I really like the fact that it is FI and there is no need to mess with jetting and stuff. Also the fact that is so wide from the factory is a bonus, so if I do try a little MX or some jumping I dont have to put a ton in the front and rear end.

mach1stang
11-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Also does anybody know about what weight rider the shocks are rated for?

i30nes
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
The group I went to Croom with about a month ago had bout two people with the ltr. Its all a matter of how you can manuever yourself around. One of the guys complains about tight fits through the trees but the other one just hauls on through. But lately I have been seein more and more of them out in the trails. But thats just from what ive noticed...

LTandRaptorider
11-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by mach1stang
Also does anybody know about what weight rider the shocks are rated for?

I believe the shocks are set for around a 180lb rider. They are very stiff from the factory. 06-07 models anyway. Suzuki did some tweaking on the 08 shocks, made them a little plusher I understand.

mach1stang
11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
i30nes, the peopl I would be riding with also have a few kids that ride with them so they dont go very fast.

LTandRaptorider, looks like I may be going on a diet lol, I plopped on the scale a few days ago and was 202, then the scale proceded to tell to get the *** off.

LTandRaptorider
11-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by mach1stang
LTandRaptorider, looks like I may be going on a diet lol, I plopped on the scale a few days ago and was 202, then the scale proceded to tell to get the *** off.

:D

10 years ago or so, I was tipping the scales at 200lbs. The last time I got on it at that weight, the scale displayed- One At A Time!!! :p So I lost 40lbs. Actually your weight might be almost perfect for the stock LTR settings. I found mine best for woods riding with all the pre-load out of the front shocks, almost all out of the back shock. And of course experimenting with rebound and compresion. Always write down the settings you've tried so you can keep track for future adjustment. And when you are happy with your settings, DEFINITELY mark that down and put in a safe place! ;)

mach1stang
11-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Yep I turned 16 the end of june and I was 5'10.5 and 202, I work out every weekend, and I am pletty built but just not fit fit if that makes sense. I dont do alot of jumping maybe 2.5 foot high off of a little dirt jump I have nothing crazy mainly sliding in the dirt in the horses jumping pasture (it has a dirt ring that surrounds maybe a 2 acre pasture) and rinding a really woodsy pasture.

Drewltr450
11-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Its an awesome trail quad if you get skids and 20s in the back your fine i live out on longisland NY and all we have is trails ive had no problem getting through anything. even verry tight trails that my friends with 400s and 450rs complain about.

mach1stang
11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Man it really nice to hear that it is a good that people have not had problems with it, I think I may be seeing a LTR in my future. I really like the fact that it is about as wide as it can go and has from what i hear good shocks to with it.

I do have another question, fuel injection... has there been anything with the computers glitch wise or somthing like or is it pretty sound proof? I know one of the first things I will get after market wise is the cherry bomb.

mach1stang
11-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Also I was reading about this tranny wine in the good, bad and ugly thread is this a real problem gears wearing any thing like that or is it just a wine from the tranny?