PDA

View Full Version : new raptor 250

Glenn Keaton
11-11-2007, 05:34 PM
this thing is sweet, you need to check it out, i have a son who will be moving up from a 90 cc next year and i was looking for something he could race on that he could handle . this thing weighs like 15 lbs less than the old blaster, i think with a few upgrades , it will be just what we need.

jaksdad
11-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Morning Glen
I thought I would answer as everyone is looking but not responding. We are in the same position,as in, my son is also moving up from the 100cc Auto's, YES, perfect choice, the Raptor 250 !!
We have thrown off the standard wheels and tyres, fronts were o.k but those Dunlops on the rear were a joke, NO grip, so we have put Holeshot 21 x 7 x 10 on the front and BKT's AT111 18 x 10 x 8 on the rear mounted on beadlocks, excellent. Streamline Steering Damper helps alot too, in fact I cannot knock this quad in any way at all ! The handling since changing those tyres has improved immensley.
A Arms and Axle due in this week from Lonestar leaving standard shox for now, done the usual by putting on the full GYTR exhaust system, tested on a track at 95db, perfect, fitted GYTR Air box kit but haven't done the jetting yet.
We cannot get the front pipe over here yet for the exhaust kit so had mine in from the States, I would be interested in hearing off anyone on some prices of products over there and anyone who could supply at reasonable prices, as we do get stitched up a bit on import duties and taxes. Also does anyone over there know of any websites for tuning these engines or for parts for them, I treat these quads as a 'MiniAtv',yes I know it is a bit big to be one but, as this, like the Blaster is where all kids end up before going on to the Adult scene, that is why I am now promoting it like all the 100's on the Enduro scene.
Look forward to hearing any comments or information
Rod

bulldogfallon
11-21-2007, 10:22 PM
I am a DRR and Honda guy, but man this Raptor 250 is causing all kinds of trouble for me :)

Saw one at the showroom today and it is hard not to like it.....

The Black Special Edition.....Appears to be a perfect size for that in between rider.

I spoke with Rich Hetrick today and they will have some performance components in the near future (carb, air box, exhaust etc)....plus one day a 4 valve head to replace the 2 valve stocker....now that would be a nice bolt on piece of performance!!

So how is the power in stock form vs a Blaster or TRX300/400?

Doess it run as good as it looks?

jaksdad
11-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Morning Gary
The new Raptor is all it says it is!!
Last Saturday there were 3 in the line up at our club enduro, the meeting before there were 2 so popularity is growing slowly, they were mixed in with 26 Blasters, how did they do, well, one came 11th (a girl second time out on it) one came 14th and one came off !! I watched one 'chasing' a kid on a Blaster and he couldn't shake it, what I am trying to get at is these Raptors were standard, no exhaust kit, no wide arms or axles, (yes we are still waiting for Lonestar and Epic to get them over) but they still kept up with fully kitted up Blasters ! At the last meeting a Raptor had the 'holeshot', there were a few puzzled faces, he held the first lap for about the first 5 miles (it was a 7 mile loop) but the pressure got to him but, he still had 8th ! I am talking about 12 to 15 year olds on these Raptor 250's and they know how to ride !! (I must be honest and say I don't know how they are performing on the QuadX circuit but that doesn't interest us anyway, we race for an hour and a half solid, any body can be good for 10 mins! ha ha) Enduros really tests the kids stamina and abilities.
So personally I can only say good points about this large 'MiniAtv' and we are looking forward to my lads first outing with his.
Just received an e mail and our Lonestar kit will all be here next week so lets see how we get on after that. Still looking for some ideas on tuning, and yes, we have heard there is a 4 valve head being worked on, but I don't think any more than a polish and larger carb with the GYTR Exhaust would be anymore than what we need, for now anyway.
As it is we still can't get a workshop manual over here on disc or hardback any ideas?
Regards
Rod

jaksdad
11-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Forgot to mention , Gearchange was bit stiff at first but 2 oil changes and running MAXIMA 10 40 ( the best, K2 for 2 strokes and this for 4 strokes) and it is perfect but still only ridden for 6 hours, and you can tell it is starting to loosen up. Found how to overide clutch safety switch for starting in gear for holeshots !! Hold it flat out in first and hit the button, way to go !!
Bye Bye Blasters. The other thing, the quad is easy to ride, the kids are not tired after riding one of these, they are not fighting the steering like a Blaster nor the power band, these things will pull through in any gear, hellish torquey.
Any way thats enough free advertising for Yamaha now, they don't pay me enough anyway!!.
We are strengthening the front engine mounting plates, they look a little bit puny, just covering ourselves really.
Interested to find out what carb Richard @ Hetricks comes up with, had a few ideas thrown at me but still not entirely satisfied, what we are after is just a straight forward carb, possibly with a power jet ??
Right, lets see what this lot brings in,
Catch you again
Rod :)

Glenn Keaton
11-22-2007, 05:04 AM
hey Jakes dad, how about showing us some pictures of the raptor, maybe before and after the upgrades, also maybe some info about the stock arms and swinger, and the shocks, we run harescrambles and when our kids move up from the minis they have to run on the course the same time all the other adults do, we do have different start times (30 seconds ) from class to class, but running with the pro riders gets pretty scary some times for the younger riders, when they move to the big quads the track gets longer and some pretty steep hills, and iwas wondering about the raptor being light in the front and wanting to roll over backwards, our dealer told us it was very easy to wheelie in all the gears, i just dont know if in the heat of competition , with another rider breathing down his neck, that my son will do the smart thing and pullover ,or hit the gas and hit one of these monster hills trying to get away, i hope he will do the smart thing, because it will be alot harder to get away from this quad compares to the Drr we race now!!!! but i think the raptor will be our next racer

jaksdad
11-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Hi Glenn
I will get back to you once I have fitted the upgrades to JAKS Raptor, and then send some before and after pictures , should be in the next fortnight or so, should be good
catch you later
Rod

bradley300
11-24-2007, 02:27 AM
i wish i would have seen this thread sooner! my sponsor and I (snyder motor sports) are also working on one of these. +3+1 LT and standard travel a-arms are in the works (about 46 inches wide ) as well as +5+1 LT and standard travel. ( about 50 inches wide total width). we are also working on swingarms and will surely have a gusset kit soon for the entire frame. i'm also thinking of a few things like a gaurd for the ignition coil. currently if you take of the headlights the ignition coil looks to be out in the open and unprotected so i am going to try and convince him to make a gaurd for it.

cjpoole1
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
currently if you take of the headlights the ignition coil looks to be out in the open and unprotected so i am going to try and convince him to make a gaurd for it.
Looking at the parts diagrams on yamaha's site. The light look identical to the YFZ450 lights. I don't see why you couldn't use the Maier guards or the Performance Carbon headlight deletes.

bradley300
11-28-2007, 01:56 PM
thanks, i didnt even know someone made them

recon413
11-29-2007, 03:39 PM
does the 250 have revers

exrider12
11-29-2007, 04:33 PM
it does not have reverse

bradley300
11-30-2007, 05:45 AM
it is so light tho, you really wouldnt find your self needing it much

54warrior
12-03-2007, 09:55 AM
They have started a Raptor250 vs. 300EX comparison over on A T V SCENE.com, you should check it out.

jaksdad
12-05-2007, 02:54 PM
just a little update, actually fitted the LoneStar Long Travel A- Arms & PEPS Shocks, broke the bank but, what more can you say, the doggies nuts !!! Axcalibur axle fitted as well, all that's left, for now, is the Quadtech seat cover !!
Quality of ALL products used is way over the top, straight forward no hassle fitting .
Just got the 450 clutch cable to fit, slightly longer (ideal for extended steering stem) but blingy shiny all the way to the lever!

54warrior
12-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by jaksdad
just a little update, actually fitted the LoneStar Long Travel A- Arms & PEPS Shocks, broke the bank but, what more can you say, the doggies nuts !!! Axcalibur axle fitted as well, all that's left, for now, is the Quadtech seat cover !!
Quality of ALL products used is way over the top, straight forward no hassle fitting .
Just got the 450 clutch cable to fit, slightly longer (ideal for extended steering stem) but blingy shiny all the way to the lever!

We want pictures!!!

jaksdad
12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
yes, so do I, broke my camera, well actually I thrashed it!!!! cause it wouldn't work, so bit annoyed needed pics for my website. I should get things sorted by the weekend.
Rod

12-09-2007, 07:32 PM
in the test that magazines did the 300ex was better all around

bradley300
12-10-2007, 05:23 AM
i have both quads, and i disagree with the mags, i prefer the raptor