PDA

View Full Version : help with entry level front shocks

boosted3g
11-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I am looking at front shock sets and i want your opinions. I currently have a stock 400ex suspension. i am not a very experienced rider and next year will be my first year racing harescrambles. I also do some trail riding. i plan on getting a set of a arms but which ones i choose will depend on how much of the budget gets taken out by the shock purchase. I was planning on a set of wicked +2 arms with either 450r shocks resprung with a Works kit probably the triple rate but not revalved or a set of the elka sport series with no resevores (sp?). The Elkas would be new and can be set up for me. The rear would have an extended axle which brand i dont know. Im not a big jumper so price may dictate the brand, as long as its at least as strong as stock. The rear shock would remain stock until i can do something with it later on. So all that being said which would you guys recomend, the Elka with no resevores or the resprung 450R?

Colby@C&DRacing
11-12-2007, 08:26 AM
I would use a revavled resprung 450r shock since it will gain you adjustabilty over the non rezzies shock

Eviltanker
11-13-2007, 07:04 AM
If your going to run scrambles and still ride trails You might be beter off with only going +1 in the front. Colby's right I think you might like the rebuilt 450r's more.

11-13-2007, 12:37 PM
yeah i ride all trails and stuff pretty aggressive at times and I thought about getting new suspension with +1 a-arms but i decided to just keep it stock width with PEP race shocks ($650) and later down the road if i want +1 a-arms i buy them and get the shocks revalved.

boosted3g
11-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Well i bought a set of new 450r shocks and ordered a set of springs for them. Im going to try this set up first and see how it does. I dont like to make many changes at once because i was doing alright with just a little bit of engine work and a totally stock suspension. Ill just keep fine tuning and hopefully keep getting faster.

11-13-2007, 07:04 PM
adjust that rear shock, thats the best thing i ever did. i was always unaware and afraid to see what would happen adjusing the rebound and it made such a difference. i slowed my rebound by almost a quarted turn and it was amazing how much better it performed