PDA

View Full Version : Race Tip HELP

franciscoluis
11-06-2002, 06:23 PM
Ok guys, I will run my first race, its gona belike a gncc (shorter, but the same kind of terrian)
My cuestion is, do i have to start at first or what, i really do not know all the tricks and all that stuff, by the way, all the people that is running the race is the first time (i am one of the organizators of the event.)

Thank you a lot!!

Arriba Chihuahua!!!

Ryan
11-06-2002, 07:06 PM
Do you have to start at first? :huh if your talking about first gear then yes I would. their is really no tricks, in racing their is no secret just go ask fast as you can threw the woods without hitting any trees :D . and make sure not to go cruising around. If I were you I would drink alot of coffee and Just go crazy when you go out there so you have plenty of energy. Your probably racing harescrambles with is a very long race. First thing is do not loose your paste and just keep moving.
Have fun!:)

Undead Infantry
11-06-2002, 07:35 PM
:devil haveing fun is most important

Nausty
11-06-2002, 08:28 PM
lol, if you have a 400ex don't start in first. I start out in second because its got all the power it needs to pop the front tires out of the gate. So no use in starting in first and then shifting right away. Also another thing I see a lot of people do is leaning to far forward out]of the gate so that is all they do is spin the tires. You should try to keep the front tires just barely on the ground so that all the weight is on the rear. You also should try to stay low as you go back so that it isn't as likely to catch and hook up unexpectidly.

So basicly, start out in 2nd, site a little farther forward than your neutral position. Once you gain about the middle of second where its easier to feel what the quad is doing you should be moving back and getting as low as possible.

I holeshot all types of quads and the main thing is just getting your technique down. Also before the gate drops I already have my clutch half way out to wear I can feel it starting to engage so that when the gate flinches I can drop it quicker.

lol, holeshots are so fun, I can't wait tell racing season. Good luck.

Varmit57
11-06-2002, 11:05 PM
Sorry Nausty, there is no gates on GNCC its a bit diffrent then MX'n, but I do agree with the Second gear thing. Unless you are geared extremly high then second gear is the place to be...

You do have to be careful though becuse most harescrambles are a dead engine start, be sure to have the R's up before you drop the clutch......

Is that what you ment but starting first, franciscoluis?

franciscoluis
11-07-2002, 09:42 AM
thank you all, all your advises are very important to me.
i will tell you how it finish, and i'll put some picks.
Thanks!!!!

11-07-2002, 10:37 AM
I started in first at my first GNCC race and was in the top 10 goin into the first turn... overall just don't have the mental attitude of winning the race because you'll be wore out within the first 30 minutes of the race..remember your there to have fun and finishing the race period is a win in my book.. Oh and practice dead engine starts..:D

JEFF8400EX
11-07-2002, 12:00 PM
rico what gncc did you race in??? what class did you run? how did ya finish??? are ya going to run any next year......????

bradley300
11-07-2002, 01:19 PM
the most important thing in xc is to take your time. these races are much more fun if you finish. try to run at about 80% and you should last the whole race. if you start on level ground or a downhill then 2nd is a good gear to start in. if it is an uphill start, you may want to try 1st gear. line up early though and you should have a few minutes to practice start and see what gear feels better. good luck,and have fun. rico is right, finishing a 2 hour race is accomplishment enough, dont worry about winning, just finish.

11-07-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by JEFF8400EX
rico what gncc did you race in??? what class did you run? how did ya finish??? are ya going to run any next year......????

The very last one,,the ironman in IN. I ran in the junior class and finished 13th outa 20,,,7 minutes away from a top 10 finish,,I guess the beer break didn't pay off...:devil and yes I plan on racing alot more next year..It was alot of fun even if it was cold, muddy, crazy hill climbs, and running a MX setup only with big tires..:D

JEFF8400EX
11-07-2002, 07:38 PM
thats cool rico i been racing hare scrambles for two years.. i won the b class in district 5 this year... i'll be alot of gncc next year the first one will be n.c. for me.. the first to are two far.. i'll look for ya.. i'll be on the new gas gas 300 in the open a class....

Nausty
11-07-2002, 09:31 PM
How exactly do they start xc races? I always figured it was like a few rows of quads and they released a rubberband to start the race. I get the dead engine start but do they run to the quads? How do they know when to start? Do they get to run equally as far? thanks!

chavez
11-08-2002, 07:24 AM
you line up there is a flag man he raises a blue flag to shut your motors down gives a 10 second yell then he raises a green at the end of 10 seconds start your motor as fast as you can and you are off to the races

Varmit57
11-08-2002, 12:50 PM
There are a few places that make you get off your quad also. I seen it when you stand behind it, beside it and one where they lined the quads up on one side if the track at a angle and you stood on the other....

Davids440ex
11-11-2002, 09:43 PM
drink lots of water no soad it gives you arm pump and makes you tired real fast. i used to get arm pump all the time, i stop drinking soda and layed back on the sugars and it made a hudge difference on the track.

QuadTrix6
11-12-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by JEFF8400EX
thats cool rico i been racing hare scrambles for two years.. i won the b class in district 5 this year... i'll be alot of gncc next year the first one will be n.c. for me.. the first to are two far.. i'll look for ya.. i'll be on the new gas gas 300 in the open a class....

did you ride the gas gas yet or see it in person, im curious as to how the quad is :confused:

Texan32
11-12-2002, 01:06 PM
WATER!!!!!
i drank a half liter of gatorade bout 15 minutes before my first xc race. Nearly didn't get to finish cuz the cramps were SOOOO bad!. Like everyone sais. Finish! DO NOT GO 100% from the beginning. You WILL tire out in no time flat. If it seems like a few guys are just flying by you, give it time, they will most likely slow down from exhaustion.

Starting. The races i ran in was a dead engine start. Actually we lined up, got off the quad and stood infront of it with our hands on the handlebars. They shot the gun, we wipped around and whoever got going quick enough......

JEFF8400EX
11-12-2002, 01:10 PM
ya i saw it at the dealer show in indy.. haven't rode it yet..