PDA

View Full Version : Air or Water cooled? Where do I get it?

ewathen
11-11-2007, 11:10 AM
I live in Indianapolis and want to pick up a DRX50 for my son to race. We will also be doing quite a bit of play riding.

Is the water cooled that much better, or really needed? Or does it just add weight?

What widths are they making these in now? What width is WPSA 50 stock limited leagal?

Who is the best dealer to purchase from in central indiana?

My son turns 6 in december, so we will have to move out of the 4-6 limited class in a year, can you turn the 50 into a 70 easily?

Thanks,

Eric

bulldogfallon
11-11-2007, 12:21 PM
The weight difference shouldn't even be a consideration...not a significant amount....

The 50s come 41" wide, but some have been brought into the U.S. at 44" wide (we ordered them that way)

The engine upgrade to a 70 is simple...all parts except for the top end are the same....

Only issue that may arise is the width of a 50 is usually 41" (except for the few 44" wide that are in the U.S. now) and the 70s are 44" wide

Also most 50s come with the small Mikuni/Sunworld carb, but some of the 50s have arrived with a bigger carb and intake manifold which would void the need to replace these when you upgrade to a 70. (about $200 savings)

Air cooled vs Water cooled.....You will get lots of "opinions" on this....We run a WC and we feel with the new DRR high compression head it is very quick in stock form...

Air cooled is a great performer as well.....Maybe a little more top end than the LC...., but it seems that the LC has more bottom-mid in stock form.

Make sure before you buy your quad, that it will meet your needs when your ready to upgrade....the right choice now will save you hundreds later on...

Besides the carb and exhaust option..the AC vs LC will also lock you into your choices of what 70cc kit you get.....The Metrakit is very popular 70cc kit and it is liquid cooled, so if you bought an AC 50 then you would need all the LC stuff which is not cheap.($300-$400 upgrade)

If you buy a LC 50 then you could always remove the LC stuff and still use the AC 70 kit(you would still need a few pcs , but it wouldn't be as expensive as the whole LC kit)

Shane at Wolf Pack Racing is in Indiana and has lots of knowledge with these minis....

Your on the right track with a DRX50.....

Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need answered

Thanks for posting

Livin4Real
11-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey Eric, Ron said he has them in stock and to give him a call.

Brian

hr15
11-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
Hey Eric, Ron said he has them in stock and to give him a call.

Brian

Definately give Ron a call,great guy.

How you been Brian?

Livin4Real
11-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey Len,

First time hitting the forums in months. I'm in the homestretch of a 4 month complete gut and remodel of our house (doing it myself) a couple more weeks and I'll be able to focus on Brandon's stuff again. Sorry for not keeping in touch with everyone, been buried in the house so the wife won't kill me, lol.

Back on topic (sorry), give me a call if you need anything Eric, 317-538-6200.

Brian

ewathen
11-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks Brian, I'll give ron a call. Zane really wants to race this year. Hopefully we will see you at a couple.

Eric