PDA

View Full Version : Removing cylinder head stud.

45 lt80
11-11-2007, 08:31 AM
I did a search on removing the studs. Sat. I tried all day on removing the studs. I tried heat and double nut. Then went to town for a stud remover. Today going back to see if I can find grade 8 nuts . Start over with double nut and heat. The stud remover to big for the stud. Are they that hard to remove? Help:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

45lt80

cdrookie
11-11-2007, 09:13 AM
more heat and pb blaster

if they're that hard to get out they're probably galled into the cylinder. hopefully the threads won't get ripped out with the stud.

regg187
11-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Not usually, try some penetrating oil or liquid wrench at base of stud? What happened with the double nutting, that should work good enough for you to break the stud off . , try red loctite on the double nuts. make sure your turning the correct direction, I am sure that the studs do not have reverse threading

800screws
11-11-2007, 09:23 AM
double nutting worked with mine, i just changed em' to longer studs. spray some wd or pb, let it sit, then try... try tightening it a hair then back them out. heat too... that's all it should take.

Aceman
11-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by cdrookie
more heat and pb blaster

if they're that hard to get out they're probably galled into the cylinder. hopefully the threads won't get ripped out with the stud.

^^Yep. Hopefully, you don't have to helicoil after your finished.

If you're replacing the studs anyways, I'd just put a nut on each one and tack weld it. If you don't have a welder, just find a muffler shop and have them mig it real quick. Probably only charge you 5 bucks.

GOTFEAR
11-11-2007, 07:44 PM
snap on has what you need a stud removal socket but if you have a mig or tig welder you can weld a pipe on the stud and remove the old stud like a pipe wrench

Scott-300ex
11-12-2007, 11:39 AM
One of my studs broke so I had to take the head off and when I removed it I used an easy out.

Drill a small hole in the stud, then thread the easy out in there, it has reverse threads so it tightens then when its tight you keep tightening to the left and it thread out the stud.

Worked perfect for me.