PDA

View Full Version : What skid?

97WarriorRider
11-11-2007, 06:53 AM
I am looking for a chassis skid plate for my 400ex and im stumped on what one to get. I have PRM on my warrior and it has been on there for 10 years and doesnt have a dent in it. I am racing XC and im looking at the PRM but it is quite expensive. I was wondering how the Pro armor and AC racing skids hold up in these conditions?

Thanks,
Tom

honda8&3
11-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Don't get AC's. Pro Armor are great but I still like PRM better, also Armadillo's for the price are pretty good I hear, nice and thick. Remember for chassis and a arms nothing under 3/16" or .190. Also for swingarms .250 may be .190. My .190 PRM is holding up excellent.:cool:

11-11-2007, 07:37 AM
yeah i have PRM engine and swingarm skid plates and love them, mine added a lot of weight but riding through an area of stups androcks i could care less because i know i have the protection from them. i dont know what thickness mine are, could i measure them with a tape measure and see?

11-11-2007, 07:41 AM
armadillo from rocky mountain are just as good as prm, but aren't as pretty finish wise

<DRS>GPF
11-11-2007, 08:41 AM
ya know, i never noticed damage to my swingarm until i replaced the stock steel one with an armadillo from RMATV..

i ride alot in rocky areas so the skids take a few hits and the aluminum doesnt weather it as well as the steel, but weighs less..

its too bad they dont make something from a lighter and tougher metal, like a titanium alloy..

hmm.. imagine what the cost might be though..

aluminum is $1.16 per lb, a typical aftermarket swingarm might be 5lbs at a cost of $90.. $18 per lb, $16.84 over current market price(approx. 14.5 times the value per lb)

using that same methodology, titanium is 6.85 per lb, so itd be like a $500 skid plate.. but it would outlast everything else..

5-2.5 titanium alloy is said to be $3.86 per lb, which would theoretically be a $280 skid plate.

honda8&3
11-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Ya titanium would be cool, but right now alluminum is just fine. Nice and clean fit with a cool look. Excellent protection. I usually only hit maybe one slight rock on my rides. A lot of rocks but if you ride smart you don't even technically need a skid half of the time. I used to ride swinger skidless. Never damaged one rotor or sprocket.:cool: