PDA

View Full Version : shifting question for you experienced racers

questatv
11-11-2007, 04:18 AM
We (my son and I) have never ridden in a quad race or even been to a quad race much less been around anyone riding the Typhoon competitively.
He has on 07' 90cc.
We set up this flat track on our own because he wanted to practice/pretend to race his bike for his own enjoyment.
A friend who supposedly has some racing experience (although not on a Typhoon, and he raced a long time ago) stopped by and was watching him run and told us the following:
At the start, put it in 1st but keep pressure on the shifter (this seems to hold the transmission in a temporary neutral state) while revving the engine essentially wide open. I was surprised to see the bike just sit there reved to the max while in 1st gear as if he had a hand clutch and was holding pressure on it. Then, when I drop my arm to signal the start, he releases the pressure off the shifter which seems to essentially dump the clutch. He spins all manner of tires, slinging dirt everywhere and shoots out like a rocket. Then when he peaks in 1st, without letting up off the throttle, while it is pegged out, slams it in second gear. Repeat this process through 3rd and then 4th until the turn at which time he can let off the throttle to downshift for the corner.
My question is this. Is this manner of shifting it wide open out of the hole without getting out of the gas for even a millisecond OK? It seems like it would be awful hard on the bike and it is contrary to my natural instincts. Is this the way you are supposed to do it? I guess me being used to speed shifting big trucks without the clutch where you have get out of the throttle momentarily to synchronize the gears has me all messed up and thinking all wrong.
Will the tranny and/or clutch hold up to this type of abuse?
My wife and dad were watching him "practice" today and they both said the same thing. "He's gonna tear that thing up shifting it wide open like that". Forgive my ignorance but I simply don't know and the only thing I have to go on is what one guy told me. So, I thought I would ask you folks who actually ride the Typhoon competitively. Somebody please clue me in a little bit on technique so I can teach him right.

Ride1Rob
11-11-2007, 08:40 AM
My son does the same thing also. Xtreme supposedly made the tranny stronger but only time will tell if it holds up this kind of abuse or not. I've been shifting my YFZ450 like that for almost 4 years now, but that's a totally different and stronger manufacturer. Maybe someone like Rob can shed more light on this as his son raced on the national scene this past season. I'm not sure if he was running the Xtreme motor but he may know.

gmen
11-11-2007, 12:00 PM
josh has been very conservative with his bike.
IMO,you are going to break it.
There is a line between use and abuse.
You have taken the time and money to convert the 90cc from 2 speed to 4 speed.Thats a good thing,history tells us without that mod,the tranny gets stuck in no mans land.
At Bremen we watched a ty125 race and they started in 3rd gear, and no they did not keep it pined and slammed as the gate dropped.The kid was about 65 pounds and the bike launched with the best of them.
We have been doing more scouting then racing so far,from what we have learned so for is,if you break it,you cannot win.At Duram Town we saw a modded costco engine make about 10 minutes of riding. Busting the crank and ending a day of riding.
Only time will tell if it will hold up ,you will know when it has had enough.Greg

wrhracing
11-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I think they have improved the clutch plate set up. The original ones had to have the plates replaced after a little while.
Plus the 70, and 90 's have the xr 50 style clutch.

God'sGirl.MQ.20
11-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Our daughter races and pulls 95% of her holeshots. She has won 5 championships in a year including the NNRA's National Champ. She starts out in 2nd. At the gate she clicks 1st and lifts up for second and holds it. When the gateman points to her ,she pinns it. When the gate drops , she drops the shifter. She winds out 2nd and when she goes to 3rd she rolls off the throttle slightly.

In our opinion, a slight rolling off the throttle will save the motor . My recommendation would be not to speed shift. She broke her crank doing that. We were told by Xtreme to roll of the the throttle just a bit. It's to much torque if ya don't.

gmen
11-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks God'sGirl.MQ.20,
What basket,plate and spring set up are you using?
Are you using the FTX 146 cc motor from Xtreme .Or is it a ty125 retro to a 146cc ?
You previously posted oil pump problems,do you have an aftermarket solution ? or is it stock replacement ?

guy310
11-11-2007, 08:52 PM
My daughter shifts up to 3rd and then holds down in 2nd gear. You have a different clutch setup than the 125's so you don't have the crank issue that somebody else spoke of. As a rule, we do on the Xtreme, whatever we would do on a Honda. We speedshifted all year and our last weekend, we did break the crank, but we are running a 146. You should have no problem speedshifting. My older daughter did that for 3 years on a Honda 90 without ever having any issues.

questatv
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all your replies. It appears that there may be some difference in the 90cc when compared to the 125cc. A kid we help sponser just bought a new 125 to race with. Can he "SPEEDSHIFT" as we described or with the 125 is he asking for problems?
Rusty

God'sGirl.MQ.20
11-12-2007, 07:11 PM
She is runs 2 bikes.

She ran a Ty125 cc w/ a TB 140 kit. Port and Polished head , 26 Makuni carb, FMF exhaust and CDI from Xtreme.When this kit was installed the 146 kit was not out yet.

She is currently running and racing a TY125cc w/ high compression piston from Xteme, a custom big valve race head that is ported and polished with a custom cam from our sponsor Airborne Racing. 26 mm makuni carb, FMF exhaust and CDI from Xtreme. This set up is actually faster than her 140 bike. No Lie. This is the bike she won the NNRA championship on.

The oil cooler issue was resolved by switching to Amsoil and placing her bike in front of a fan after she ran a motto.

What size sprockets are you guys running to start out in 3rd?

gmen
11-12-2007, 07:36 PM
That i do not know,(sprocket size) the reason i knew buddy was in 3rd gear was because he shifted once after he was gone.
Could have been from 2nd to 3rd ,but i doubt it.
I was also told about the high compression piston,cdi,cam,fmf set up.
I am trying to ride out the warranty before i tear into Josh,s engine.
I am entertaining the thought of buying a second engine,doing the mods and keeping old reliable for a back-up.Keeping the displacement at 125 cc .
Have you tried milling the basket to go to a 5 plate set up?
I got buddy in Jacksonville ,Ill that i will have do the engine mods for me.
Greg

God'sGirl.MQ.20
11-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Nay, we tried a 5 plate basket and we couldn't get it adjusted out. We were told by Xtreme the 4 plate with heavy duty springs is what they have had the most success with. So, that's what we are sticking with for now.

That's a good idea about having 2 motors. We actually did that for almost a year. We kept the stock motor as a back up and practice bike. She was running a race that has cc restrictions last Spring. So, we put the head and pistons on the 125 motor to beef it up some. This was actually the race that we tried the 5 plate. Let's just say she was the last out of the hole cuz her clutch was slipping. But once we got that bug worked out she loved her 125 bike. She won't hardly touch her 140. We're planning on switching it to the same set up as her race bike.

Ride1Rob
11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by God'sGirl.MQ.20
Nay, we tried a 5 plate basket and we couldn't get it adjusted out. We were told by Xtreme the 4 plate with heavy duty springs is what they have had the most success with. So, that's what we are sticking with for now.

So why do they have us on hold waiting on CR3 springs or whatever they're called? Are the HD springs CR3's?

God'sGirl.MQ.20
11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Ok let me clarify. Ash's clutch was slipping a couple of weeks ago. We ordered new clutch plates and cintrifugal clutch. They were out of springs (as we all know.) So, we used the springs we already had. We didn't have a choice she had a race that weekend. There was a lot of hours on her bike. So, it was time for replacement. I don't know if it was the new clutch plates or the cintrifugal but it was a rocket out off the gate. She pulled both holeshots. This is not unusual but she pulled it on a kid she never beats.

That post was aimed more towards the 5 plate set up. It didn't work for us. Sorry for any confusion.

Ride1Rob
11-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by God'sGirl.MQ.20
Ok let me clarify. Ash's clutch was slipping a couple of weeks ago. We ordered new clutch plates and cintrifugal clutch. They were out of springs (as we all know.) So, we used the springs we already had. We didn't have a choice she had a race that weekend. There was a lot of hours on her bike. So, it was time for replacement. I don't know if it was the new clutch plates or the cintrifugal but it was a rocket out off the gate. She pulled both holeshots. This is not unusual but she pulled it on a kid she never beats.

That post was aimed more towards the 5 plate set up. It didn't work for us. Sorry for any confusion.

Hmmm, it worked for you, it should work for me. How much was the whole setup?

gmen
11-14-2007, 09:30 PM
It is a warranty fix for you Rob,it was for us. Parts came from Xtreme minus the springs.Greg

WOLFPACK
11-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Sorry for the confusion and it was absolutely my fault! I was reminded today that the reason the TRX90 clutch solved our problem in the race motor was because we installed the entire TRX90 clutch. I hope this hasn't caused anyone any problems!

Originally Xtreme thought that it was the oil from the factory that was causing the slippage. When we prepped the new ones we replaced the stock plates with those off the TRX90 and used the stock springs and used Honda GN4 oil. Xtreme is now recommending that you use the TRX90 fibers, sandblast the stock steels and reinstall with thier stiffer springs (which they don't have right now).

We think that if you follow Xtremes recommendation using the stock springs and GN4 oil (change it often), as long as your centrifical is good you should be able to ride.

Shane

God'sGirl.MQ.20
11-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Can you go into more detail about sandblasting the steels. Which ones? The Xtreme's or Honda?
Thanks

WOLFPACK
11-17-2007, 04:10 PM
The stock steel plates that come on the Typhoon have pores that hold oil and keep the clutch lubed. For this reason the stock plates are prefered even though we have never had an issue with the Honda plates.

What xtreme is suggesting is that you clean the plates with brake cleaner and have then sand blasted to give them a new surface to mate to the new fiber plates.

I hope this has cleared this up for you.

Shane

gmen
11-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Thats the same thing we do with the kawi street bike engines.Except we glass bead over sand blast.We have had a very good result after the replacement with the stock springs and scuffing up the plates.
.Greg