PDA

View Full Version : lt 80 problems

mbjtlr
11-10-2007, 09:50 PM
We got my niece a 87 LT 80 last winter for Christmas. It had set for a couple of years. I rebuilt the topend, 40 over Wiseco, new Uni filter, and cleaned the carb. It started and ran, but just seems well underpowered compared to a friend LT 80. He has a FMF powercore on it, but stock piston. Its night and day difference between the 2. On my nieces, you have to keep it full throttle just to get it to go. It will barely climb small hills with her on it. She weighs around 100lb. We had problems with the carb after the rebuild. It was flooding the crankcase with gas. A local shop supposedly rebuilt it, but I dont believe they did. I thought about buying a newer carb off of ebay or should I just get a rebuild kit for the carb. Another problem we are having is that it keeps killing the starter relay. Weve replaced 4 in the past couple of months. Is there a problem with starter or could it be something else. I really want to get it running right for her. She wanted one for so long and weve had nothing but problems since we got it for her. Thanks for all the help in advance.

cerino2000
11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
That's too bad cause we have had a bunch of these and they are excellent powerful little quads.

First things first, will it idle on it's own? Is it bogging real bad? The carbs on these are real simple devices. Take it apart and clean both jets and all passageways with compressed air.

You say you did the top end, machine shop checked bore and such? Made sure it wasn't already bored and maybe you got a stock sized piston?

Sometimes the mufflers get clogged up too and that would cause it to do that.

My sons carries me around almost as well as him so something is funny about it.

mbjtlr
11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
I had a machine shop bore the cylinder. Piston clearance was good. I ordered an exhaust off of ebay because the one that was on it was junk. The new one had a bees nest in it but I thought we got it all out. I guess I probably thought wrong! I figured it was probably carb or exhaust related, but just wanted different opinions. Thanks for the reply. Any ideal on the starter relay problem. Could the starter be bad? My brother jumped the relay and it would start. They done it like that a few times so she could ride it and now it wont start. I checked the connection on the starter and it seemed good and tight. The wire and connector looked good. But it just seems like something is shorting out since its frying the relays. Again, thanks for the help.

cerino2000
11-12-2007, 09:14 PM
The starters are known to go bad on these. Likely the case and it's pulling too many amps thus frying the relay. I have seen the starters new on ebay for like $60 or something but have never tried one myself to see if they are any good.

If you have access to compressed air, pull the muffler off and blow air through it and see if it acts like it is clogged. Bees nes is probably still in there!

How about that carb. How does it idle and is it constantly bogging when you have it floored?

LT80
11-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Stick the pipe in a fire/charcoal/wood stove/etc and get it red hot, then blow thru it.

Carb rebuild has nothing to do with the bopttom end filling w/fuel.
In 14 years I've not had to buy a kit.

I suspect a clutch roller problem too.

The FMF prolly makes the other LT have good take off and a lil help with speed on a stock motor. Don't make the mistake of buying one yourself.

I'd buy the pull start for it. :)