PDA

View Full Version : Removing exhaust baffles

southernrider07
11-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I have always wondered. Does removing the baffles in the factory exhaust help out power wise? Like does it do anything else other than sound good? Thanks in advance. Also whats the best bang for the buck for slip on's.

250exkid
11-10-2007, 05:35 PM
it helps a little helps more exhaust flow also through a k&N on and jjet it... or for a good slip on by a hmf 220$ shipped on ebay

XXXRACER165
11-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by southernrider07
I have always wondered. Does removing the baffles in the factory exhaust help out power wise? Like does it do anything else other than sound good? Thanks in advance. Also whats the best bang for the buck for slip on's.

First I don't think it will sound "good" with the baffles removed. Power wise you'll be down and your spark arrestor will be gone.

oleboy87
11-10-2007, 09:51 PM
yeaaa hmf is the best bang for the buck but if you do order one of ebay dont get it from atv galaxy it took 4 weeks to get mine from them...

<DRS>GPF
11-11-2007, 08:14 AM
IMO. removing the baffle from stock exaust just takes the "throat" out of the sound.. a bit more airflow, but unnoticable(power-wise) until you do some jetting..

you could leave the stock exaust as is and try a #155 main jet with a #42 pilot jet.

the stock air-fuel ratio is a bit on the lean side, probably for emmisions.

SG1
11-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I have a stock 06 400ex and I took the spark arrestor out and got a EHS cap for a stock exhaust and it sounds a little throatier than stock and the EHS cap comes with a spark arrestor screen. I also got a UNI filter and EHS airbox lid. And jetted it. To me it has a little more bottom end and better sound. And maybe a bit more power throughout. But really jetting the bike right is the best thing you can do.

Hondamaster5505
11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
ive been through this phase...

It doesn't add power at all, maybe it may feel like it becuase the sound being louder puts it in your head.

The way the stock exhaust uses chambers and crap it doesnt help at all.

It also sounds like complete sh*t!!

Kinda like the exhaust is under water a little.

Its not worth doing or buying

11-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
ive been through this phase...

It doesn't add power at all, maybe it may feel like it becuase the sound being louder puts it in your head.

The way the stock exhaust uses chambers and crap it doesnt help at all.

It also sounds like complete sh*t!!

Kinda like the exhaust is under water a little.

Its not worth doing or buying

agreed, it makes it louder but it will also sound like shat and people will laugh. everytime i see someone trying to shred and just has the baffle removed and its gargling i just point and laugh

Hondamaster5505
11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
everytime i see someone trying to shred and just has the baffle removed and its gargling i just point and laugh

LMAO, i know, right?

Im so glad i found the DMC or else i would be forced to go on a ride without the baffle :( haha.

11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
stock exhaust theres basically no hope for it so aftermarket is the best thing to do.

SG1
11-13-2007, 08:34 PM
So I guess you will be pointing and laughing at me while you are spending your hard earned money on a pipe that will only give you very little more power and cost a lot more than what it is worth. I know I use to have a White Bros. R4 for my 2002 400ex. And actually I think the Stock exhaust with the EHS exhaust cap sounds good and looks good for a lot less money. Why spend a lot of money on a bike that isn't really that fast anyway compared to other bikes. I learned that lesson a long time ago. It's not worth putting a large amount of money into something that isn't going to give you much return in the end. I could see doing a lot to a drag banshee or a 450R but come on guys it's a 400ex for trails why even try to keep up or spend lots of money for nothing. At least I did put a EHS exhaust cap and it does come with a spark arrestor and it's only around $50. After I put the cap on it sounded better than just open. I must admit it's not that greatest but I think it sounds better that stock. And I do feel a power mid power increase I am thinking that is from jetting it, and UNI air filter and EHS airbox lid. Just have fun riding and try not to judge or compete so much it just takes the fun out of it.

11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
whatever floats your boat man its all personal preference. I would much rather have a 400ex than a banshee or 450r. maybe i'm 1 of the few but the 400ex is a great quad for everything. it doesnt have as many problems as other quads yet you can get quite a bit of performance out of it. I love the handling and everything on the 400ex and i wouldnt trade it for anything really. I grew up seeing the 1st 400ex come out and always dreamed that 1 day i would be able to own 1. well i have 1 now and i will always love it. 400ex has great versatility, handling, reliability, and a few mods can really wake up that motor.

oleboy87
11-13-2007, 08:42 PM
agreed

SG1
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
I totally agree with you FoxHondaRider and I know from experience and trial and error what the 400ex can do. And I am not trying to bash just putting a few mods on the bike I am just saying that some people like me can go overboard with mods and spend way to much and do to much to there bikes. And that is why I have another 400ex because I did realize that it's a great bike and is great at handling and is very reliable. But since my bike is just going to be a casual trail play riding bike I want it to stay somewhat quite and ultra reliable.

250exkid
11-14-2007, 08:05 AM
only thing you can do to the stock exhaust witch there use to already a thread with pics, a guy cut off the end of the pip and puched a 2inch hole right through the walls and another 1 inch hole through the walls. and welded the end back on it musta been LOOUUD!! but that would no doubt add power,,,, but every ones right on removing the baffles you still gotta bypass the walls in the stock exhaust so just buy a HMF slip on er somthin;)

Hondamaster5505
11-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by SG1
So I guess you will be pointing and laughing at me while you are spending your hard earned money on a pipe that will only give you very little more power and cost a lot more than what it is worth. I know I use to have a White Bros. R4 for my 2002 400ex. And actually I think the Stock exhaust with the EHS exhaust cap sounds good and looks good for a lot less money. Why spend a lot of money on a bike that isn't really that fast anyway compared to other bikes. I learned that lesson a long time ago. It's not worth putting a large amount of money into something that isn't going to give you much return in the end. I could see doing a lot to a drag banshee or a 450R but come on guys it's a 400ex for trails why even try to keep up or spend lots of money for nothing. At least I did put a EHS exhaust cap and it does come with a spark arrestor and it's only around $50. After I put the cap on it sounded better than just open. I must admit it's not that greatest but I think it sounds better that stock. And I do feel a power mid power increase I am thinking that is from jetting it, and UNI air filter and EHS airbox lid. Just have fun riding and try not to judge or compete so much it just takes the fun out of it.

Like Foxhondarider said, its all preference. The power you feel is from the airlid and filter with the jetting. I had the end cap and it didnt do squat and personally it sounded like crap, but thats me. The way the walls are designed, it doesnt do anything by removing the tip. It just makes it louder.

And also, you said pipes give little gain, i completely disagree.
My DMC Alien full system woke the bike up completely, made it rev faster, and gave it a hell of a lot more mid-top end

BlasterEaten250
11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
agreed, it makes it louder but it will also sound like shat and people will laugh. everytime i see someone trying to shred and just has the baffle removed and its gargling i just point and laugh same;)

11-14-2007, 06:38 PM
yeah even a slip on will really wake the quad up. it doesnt give much of a top speed gain but torque and having power through all the gears and RPMs is what it does do. You go about the same top speed but get there a lot quicker with a pipe and airfilter

SG1
11-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I do agree that a slip on does give you more power. But is it really worth the cost. I had a white bros. R4 slip before on my 02 400ex. It was a good pipe but at or around $200 I just can't really see spending that much money again for a pipe. And believe me I love to spend money on stuff for my bikes. I even have a supertrapp slip on pipe for my kingquad 300 but it does have a good sound to it. I had to put a slip on , on that bike because everything was old and trashed. Anyways i understand what ya'll all are talking about. But the setup I have is good enough for the average rider and it's not LOUD it's just right not to loud and not soft. I didn't really want a loud pipe. All I am saying is that yes a slip on is great but is it worth having people call the police on you or just people being annoyed by a loud bike.

Hondamaster5505
11-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by SG1
I do agree that a slip on does give you more power. But is it really worth the cost. I had a white bros. R4 slip before on my 02 400ex. It was a good pipe but at or around $200 I just can't really see spending that much money again for a pipe. And believe me I love to spend money on stuff for my bikes. I even have a supertrapp slip on pipe for my kingquad 300 but it does have a good sound to it. I had to put a slip on , on that bike because everything was old and trashed. Anyways i understand what ya'll all are talking about. But the setup I have is good enough for the average rider and it's not LOUD it's just right not to loud and not soft. I didn't really want a loud pipe. All I am saying is that yes a slip on is great but is it worth having people call the police on you or just people being annoyed by a loud bike.

Haha, i got my DMC Alien full system for 45 dollars more than your non-performance tip.

So for 45 dollars more, i gained a few ponies and you gained sound. Im not bashing you if you dont have money for that stuff, but not all pipes are expensive, if you buy used and shop smart you can find some pretty good deals

southernrider07
11-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Sorry I haven't posted back any. But my main reason for this was because I won't have much money to spend on my bike atleast until tax season. Another ? is how hard is it to rejet a carb? Also thanks for all the advice everyone.

XXXRACER165
11-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Yeah it's pretty easy to re-jet the carb. The whole exhaust thing is personal preference but it is worth the money later on too. You may not gain much power just from a pipe, but you will later on when you do other modds to the engine. Heck, if I had a stock pipe even with the baffels removed on my 440 it would make around 35hp. With my White Bros pro-meg it makes 42+hp. And you also gain performance by saving weight, the stock pipe is real heavy. So all in all, it's worth it. Just my $0.02.