PDA

View Full Version : HRC Cam install q's

bloodmoney23
11-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Ok, im a noob at working on 4 strokes....this is the first ive owned but......ive been working on cars my whole life and can adjust timing and valve lift and all that on a car but this is a whole new ballgame here. I figured it would be easy liek a car. I replaced the piston with a 11.5:1 piston and HRC cam and put everything back together. Torqued all the bolts down to correct specs. 40 ft lbs on head bolt and 10ft lbs on camshaft carrier and I did all this the same I always did on my 2 strokes. Anyway heres my problems and questions.

Problems:
1. No matter what I do with piston at TDC the cam gear timing marks are off by either 1/8in above/below camshaft carrier marks. Thats with adjusting sprocket one tooth each way.
2. My feeler gauge fits on left side in. and ex. but right side wont.

Questions:
1. Do I just need a new timing chain or is there another way to adjust?
2. Is it common to only have to change shims on 1 intake and 1 exhaust or is something just not right?
3. Should I just take it to a shop and have them do it? (unlike some unfortunate others there is actually 2 really good shops around here that wont screw people over) thats referring to the honda screwed me post.

CSR400EX
11-09-2007, 09:28 PM
on the timing marks, my cam marks are about 1/8 below the carrier mark. as far as i know that is how it is supposed to be.

go to the link below and watch the hot cams installation video for a CRF450, and it explains a lot
Hot Cams (http://www.hotcamsinc.com)

Ty's400
11-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
2. Is it common to only have to change shims on 1 intake and 1 exhaust or is something just not right?

I only had to replace shims on one side of exhaust and intake last time I adjusted my valves. Don't know how common but yes it can be a circumstance.

bloodmoney23
11-10-2007, 01:25 PM
thanks for the help guys

Rich250RRacer
11-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
Ok, im a noob at working on 4 strokes....this is the first ive owned but......ive been working on cars my whole life and can adjust timing and valve lift and all that on a car but this is a whole new ballgame here. I figured it would be easy liek a car. I replaced the piston with a 11.5:1 piston and HRC cam and put everything back together. Torqued all the bolts down to correct specs. 40 ft lbs on head bolt and 10ft lbs on camshaft carrier and I did all this the same I always did on my 2 strokes. Anyway heres my problems and questions.

Problems:
1. No matter what I do with piston at TDC the cam gear timing marks are off by either 1/8in above/below camshaft carrier marks. Thats with adjusting sprocket one tooth each way.
2. My feeler gauge fits on left side in. and ex. but right side wont.

Questions:
1. Do I just need a new timing chain or is there another way to adjust?
3. Should I just take it to a shop and have them do it? (unlike some unfortunate others there is actually 2 really good shops around here that wont screw people over) thats referring to the honda screwed me post.

What two shops are good around here? I usually end up with some of the stuff other shops try to fix around Youngstown. To your problems. You probably don't need a new chain, is your timing chain tensioner installed? If not, rotate the motor to take up slack on the front side of the chain, and push in on the tensioner slider with your finger. Then check your timing marks. I've seen a few 400EX's with timing marks that couldn't line up exactly no matter how hard I tried. Could be because of the position the crank gear is pressed on, there's no marks or woodruff key for this gear. Which means it could be off a half a tooth advanced or retarded, which will throw the top off slightly. As for the shims, it's entirely possible that you may only need to change one, there's no set rule for this. I've seen cams go in with no changes at all, and some that need shimmed quite a bit.

bloodmoney23
11-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Gollans Honda over in youngstown and a shop out in springfield does a pretty good job too but forgot their name. Where are you located. because to be honest with this being my first there are way too many areas I can jack up. I would prefer someone else to do it and let me have a hand in it so I know exactly what to do for the next time. If you could help me out how much would u charge? I have everything needed ie shims, gaskets, tools and such just dont wanna screw nuthin up. Only thing i need that I aint got and cant find is a .011 feeler gauge. Have everything but that. Please get back with me if you can. Thanks.