PDA

View Full Version : what are torque and horsepower?

exrider12
11-09-2007, 04:02 PM
i know this is a stupid question but i wanted to know

Bradracer18
11-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Well I think....not positive, that they are kind of one in the same. Meaning, you use the same equation to derive both.

From what I know:

HP = 2*3.14*Torque*Rotational Speed/33,000

Measured in FT*lbs(usually)

So, Torque would just be re-arranging that equation

T=HP*33000/2*3.14*Rotational Speed

Hopefully you can think up your own thoughts on how those two are related, and how they are derived....via rotational speed and hp/torque

pro-rider46
11-09-2007, 04:22 PM
yeah torque is horsepower, the further you push it up into the powerband the more hp my make.

im not trying to bash but you said cutting the exhaust will make more low end power, but you dont what torque and horsepower is?

Ghost-Rider
11-09-2007, 04:40 PM
You will learn this stuff if you take an autos class in high school.

Horsepower a foot-pound-second unit of power, equivalent to 550 foot-pounds per second, Basically work pace almost.

And torque is basically just a rotational force.

Bradracer18
11-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I also got to thinking of like more examples to better help you out.

Every engine has torque....but its how much they have.

For instance, a race car engine that can rev to 10,000rpms or so can have 500 hp...yet a diesel engine with 300hp can have a LOT more torque than it.

This is, because of the larger stroke the engine(piston and rod) make.......in engineering terms, I believe its just because the longer rod creates a larger moment arm(which moments are used in finding torque also).

mineralgrey01gt
11-09-2007, 04:45 PM
just remember when drag racing, torque whens races, horsepower is for the dyno :)

ohsobad_chevy
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
just remember when drag racing, torque whens races, horsepower is for the dyno :)

Exactly........torque is what moves ya!!

underpowered
11-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Horsepower is torque.
horspower is a calculation from torque in an engine. any engine with a redline below 5250 RPM will always have more torque than horsepower, thats why diesels have such high ammounts of torque, because they rarely rev over 5000rpm

HP=(TQ x RPM)/5250

most High RPM engines like our quads, adn smaller motors will always have higher HP than TQ. a larger displacement motor liek V8's and such do not rev as high so TQ is usually higher than HP.

like my truck is rated for 295HP, and 325TQ at the crank. but on a smaller motor like a honda numbers may be like 125HP but only about 95TQ since it will rev much higher than my V8 will.

here is how i always thought about it.

TQ is power to get you moving, HP is power to keep you moving

wilkin250r
11-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Okay, let's start from square one, because I have a feeling you are more confused now then when you first asked the question.

I'm sure you are familiar with force. A jet engine exerts a force on the jet, the jet moves forward. Torque is a rotating force, because the internals of your engine are rotating. The more torque, the faster they rotate. This rotating force gets transferred to your gears, chain, and eventually your wheels.

Simple, right? A force that acts in rotation, rather than a straight line.

However, your engine isn't ALWAYS producing torque. Really, it's only producing torque when the fuel is burning, during the actual combustion stroke.

This is where horsepower comes in. Are you producing that torque 2000 times a minute, or 6000 a minute? Simple logic will tell you that 6000 times a minute will have more effect, right? Horsepower is torque times engine speed. How fast, or how often, are you producing that force? More often equals more power.

mole97
11-10-2007, 03:03 AM
horsepower = how fast you hit a wall
torque = how far you take the wall with you.....:macho ;)

exrider12
11-10-2007, 07:42 AM
thanks wilkin250r that helps alot

and mole97 lol:D :macho

juanki
11-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Okay, let's start from square one, because I have a feeling you are more confused now then when you first asked the question.

I'm sure you are familiar with force. A jet engine exerts a force on the jet, the jet moves forward. Torque is a rotating force, because the internals of your engine are rotating. The more torque, the faster they rotate. This rotating force gets transferred to your gears, chain, and eventually your wheels.

Simple, right? A force that acts in rotation, rather than a straight line.

However, your engine isn't ALWAYS producing torque. Really, it's only producing torque when the fuel is burning, during the actual combustion stroke.

This is where horsepower comes in. Are you producing that torque 2000 times a minute, or 6000 a minute? Simple logic will tell you that 6000 times a minute will have more effect, right? Horsepower is torque times engine speed. How fast, or how often, are you producing that force? More often equals more power.

you are rigth...

torque depends on the configuration of the engine (bore and stroke) and hp is all about how fast the engine is turning...

i.e.

F1 cars V-10 of 3.2 lts at 18,000 rpms lots of hp around 700 hp
10 pistons of 320 cc can move really fast

Loading truks (like the one i own) L-6 6.2 lts at 3000rpms lots of torque. 6 pistons of 1000 cc a lot of mass moving.

hp is power.. torque is force.

pro-rider46
11-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by juanki
you are rigth...

torque depends on the configuration of the engine (bore and stroke) and hp is all about how fast the engine is turning...

i.e.

F1 cars V-10 of 3.2 lts at 18,000 rpms lots of hp around 700 hp
10 pistons of 320 cc can move really fast

Loading truks (like the one i own) L-6 6.2 lts at 3000rpms lots of torque. 6 pistons of 1000 cc a lot of mass moving.

hp is power.. torque is force.

i think now the indy cars are only v8s now, i think that they just recently switched

BlaineKaiser450
11-10-2007, 04:37 PM
from my expiriences (sp?) torque is acceleration and horsepower is top speed. Or at least thats what it feels like

Flyin-Low
11-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Torque wins races, horsepower sells engines.

-Martin