PDA

View Full Version : how does this sound?

Ruby Soho
11-09-2007, 02:43 PM
i have been learning welding from my dad lately, and i figuired i might make a project with him.

my idea is making a custom small chopper. my friend has a 92 250x quad motor that needs alittle work for 20 bucks he said hell sell to me, and my dad can most likely get the steel/tubing for free. how do you think that would turn out? any ideas, or experiences you guys have had with doing stuff like this?

NPelletier
11-09-2007, 02:55 PM
sounds like we need to start hanging out lol....sounds like fun, that thing will rip....you could even get an old minibike frame and build a custom front end..:eek2: :macho

red_rider_069
11-09-2007, 03:02 PM
sounds like ur gonna have fun

Ghost-Rider
11-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Sounds cool.

Ruby Soho
11-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by NPelletier
sounds like we need to start hanging out lol....sounds like fun, that thing will rip....you could even get an old minibike frame and build a custom front end..:eek2: :macho

im kicking myself in the *** now because i had a taco stlye home made mini bike frame forever, never had a motor for it so i sold it. now im regretting it haha

BlaineKaiser450
11-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Sounds cool.

Bradracer18
11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Just make sure you perfectly(or close) balance everything so its not a pain in the butt to hold up-right. Sounds like a cool project....

my88r
11-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
Just make sure you perfectly(or close) balance everything so its not a pain in the butt to hold up-right. Sounds like a cool project....

^^^^

honda8&3
11-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Sounds pretty sweet Joe. The 250x motor is an excellent motor with great throttle response. Definetly a cool project:cool:

chevy
11-09-2007, 06:34 PM
my buddy recently built a mini chopper frame and he said it was relatively easy. he said the hardest part was keeping everything straight and inline. u gotta remember when welding the heat will distort the metal, everything may look straight but u better double check.

nickmelll
11-09-2007, 06:54 PM
well good luck if your like me ull get about half way done and say screw it hope it works out

my88r
11-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by nickmelll
well good luck if your like me ull get about half way done and say screw it hope it works out

i know what you mean.:mad:

Ruby Soho
11-09-2007, 08:00 PM
well my dad is very good with fabricating and such.. expert on harleys and such, so i figuire with him we can get the chassis great, and i can rebuild the motor.

question though, a full exhaust system would look kind of dumb on somehting like that and not line up, would an open header be bad for it?

07250ex
11-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
well my dad is very good with fabricating and such.. expert on harleys and such, so i figuire with him we can get the chassis great, and i can rebuild the motor.

question though, a full exhaust system would look kind of dumb on somehting like that and not line up, would an open header be bad for it? yeah it will sound like a mexican low rider the fumes wont escape correctly and you will get junk in your engine

Ruby Soho
11-10-2007, 09:38 AM
how would a custom straight pipe perform you guys think?

Scott-300ex
11-10-2007, 11:30 AM
That sounds neat dude.

But I'm guessing you don't have a bender so you'll have to have a lot of anlges=lot of welds since you can't bend it.

I recomend no straight pipes, 1 I think you will loose a lot of power and 2 I HATE the guys with straights on their harley's that are so LOUD. And since they think its so loud which it is then they got to run it wfo every time they start from a stop, they make it loud cuz they got loud pipes, like everyone thinks "Oh its loud, its cool." Well I think more like "Oh well its loud its GAY!!!!!!!!" Friggin dicks around here, then it echo's off the buildings making it louder.

Sorry bout my little rant but I'd run exhaust on it, might be hard to hook up, but when you build the frame you'll need motor mounts and exhaust hook ups and stuff like that.

When I took the muffler off my grandpa's moped I rebuilt for him, which did go 30, with no muff it went like 2 so I'd run exhaust. LoL.

Ruby Soho
11-10-2007, 06:41 PM
well i didnt want it to be loud, i wanted it to flow more as a motorcycle. cause the full atv exhaust wood look kind of doofy, and possibly get in the way. id have to think it over alot and see where the exhaust ends up before making the chassis.

should be fun if i follow through wiht it

416exfreak
11-10-2007, 09:38 PM
You could always make/find a way to bend tubing for an exhaust. Bend a custom headeror even bend the one on the engine and then just as needed to make the header/silencer from the quad work.

That shouldnt be that hard if your dad is an expert with harley and a good welder and such. If your building a fram from the ground up, I think you can handle a little bending of some exhaust tubing.;)

416exfreak
11-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
yeah it will sound like a mexican low rider the fumes wont escape correctly and you will get junk in your engine

Mexican Lowriders have musica de espanol coming from them. This is a "mini bike" of sorts, so fumes wont be an issue for him.

And how does a straight pipe differ from your quads exhaust?(other than being hella loud) Think about it, if a bug were to fly into your exhaust, nothign would stop it from going all the way into your head. It wont matter anyways, its the exhaust...it's gonna get cooked/blown out anyways. :devil: