PDA

View Full Version : 350rx questions

Dave_989
11-09-2007, 01:52 PM
would a 350x or 400ex motor fit in a 250r frame without dropping the frame rails???? if u made a custom gas tank????

SWIGIN
11-11-2007, 07:31 AM
yes, thats how we used to do it back in the 90's but we would just lift the tank with new brackets. but with the motor high like that the front sprocket is way to high and your chain will fly off all the time.

thats why the motor needs to be lower.... so the chain stays on plus your fenders match up since the tank isnt raised

Dave_989
11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
K thanks that helps

honda400exr
11-13-2007, 03:05 PM
I have an 86 250r frame that when I bought it there was a 350x motor in it..motor started smoking and the stator cover broke from the chain comming off so I took it out and put a 400ex motor in.. the only thing that I know of is that the upper left (when sitting on the quad) frame rail had to be notched out and reinforced to fit the motor in and line up the sprockets. we always shaved some of the rear mount off the back of the 400ex motor to slide it over far enough to line up the sprockets. as far as the gas tank I just put brackets on the back mounts to raise it so it would clear the motor. I do plan on looking into using a heat gun to flex the tank so that I can put it back down and line it up with the plastics better. as for the bottom rails I don't think they were moved at all..I know I didn't move them at least. if you want pictures of this stuff I can take some and send them to you. just let me know

SWIGIN
11-20-2007, 09:39 AM
thats why you want to lower the motor.... kills like 3 birds with one mod.

1. the chain will not fall off like before

2. the top of the frame dont need cut

3. the tank will fit like stock

Dave_989
11-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by honda400exr
I have an 86 250r frame that when I bought it there was a 350x motor in it..motor started smoking and the stator cover broke from the chain comming off so I took it out and put a 400ex motor in.. the only thing that I know of is that the upper left (when sitting on the quad) frame rail had to be notched out and reinforced to fit the motor in and line up the sprockets. we always shaved some of the rear mount off the back of the 400ex motor to slide it over far enough to line up the sprockets. as far as the gas tank I just put brackets on the back mounts to raise it so it would clear the motor. I do plan on looking into using a heat gun to flex the tank so that I can put it back down and line it up with the plastics better. as for the bottom rails I don't think they were moved at all..I know I didn't move them at least. if you want pictures of this stuff I can take some and send them to you. just let me know

hey thanks

i im very insterested in this build but it takes a little to much fab work for my liking, and i just baught a blown up raptor 660 wich i want to put a ktm 525 in.

but thanks anyway

Dave