PDA

View Full Version : Engine building

riding4fun
11-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Please forgive my ignorance in advance.

I, like most others have probably been to everybody's mini atv site that there is to offer. I have seen several different "70cc kits" in all different price ranges. The question is when these 70cc kits are made , are they made generically to fit all? How much does the pipe have to do with performance.

Would say having a ported "70cc" kit then have your pipe custom made make a world of difference or minimal.

Thanks,
Darrell

hotquads1
11-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Darrell you better clean out your mail box your gonna get a tidal wave of responses jumping on this subject . yes, if you use a quality brand 70cc kit for the jog style engine , it will fit fine. The cost varies depending on materials used such as allum or cast iron . Everyone has a combo that they like and it usually differs from the other guy , so you may not get a definitive answer here.
Pipe is crucial to your combo.
marc

TeamSimsRacing
11-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Darrell,

The 70 kits are made to fit all the minerelli engines and a pipe has A LOT to do with performance but so does other things. As for a ported 70 top end and a custom pipe... That is an option but there is so much more to the equasion of a fast mini. Rider is 75% of it but you have to give them the right kind of power, the power they want, to be fast. Meaning some kids want an engine to be built for low end torque and gear for top end where others like the high RPM engines which tend to be very jerky off the bottom. The quad needs to be tuned to your rider, not only power but suspension as well.

What I'm really trying to say is do look around and talk to folks and dealers. When you decide to go with a specific dealer stay with that dealer if at all possible. There are several builders who can build very fast quads but there are also several different ways of getting it fast, one person's port timing may not work well with another's clutching recommendations or pipe selection or ignition timing. If you hit a dead end and ddon't feel like you have the power you need, then look to a different builder. If you change mid stream you're likely to spend more $$ and have extra parts than needed.

THARNESS
11-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Darrell,
It can be very confusing when you see all of the different kits available. I would suggest that you get your cylinder,head,pipe and clutch kits from the same builder. It can be very frustrating and expensive if you mix and match. I would also suggest that you deal with a proven engine builder that will be there to help you with any tuning issues that you will have.
I'm sure there are several quality builders out there, but I personally recommend Hertick Racing in Oil City,PA 814-676-0477. Give Rich or Michelle a call and tell them what you're looking for.

Tom

riding4fun
11-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. I do want to have this engine done right the first time and that's why I ask you guys and as usual you point me in the best direction.

Thanks,

Darrell