PDA

View Full Version : Dune talk...

zdowell
11-08-2007, 10:35 PM
My friends and i are thinking of going down to Oklahoma to do the Little Sahara dunes. anyone been there? how is it? I really want to go riding there and cant stop looking at pictures of it!!!

Pipeless416
11-08-2007, 10:52 PM
when are you thinking about going? we wanted to go the week after christmas, but the nearest hotel is 26 miles away! :o

trx400EXtreme
11-09-2007, 05:39 AM
that place is a blast. ive been about 7 or 8 times. theres not alot of hotels but there is quite a few houses you can rent down there for pretty cheap, and its 7 bucks a day to ride. totally worth the trip.;)

dustin_j
11-09-2007, 07:15 AM
I went down 2 years ago and it was a blast. I'm hoping to get down again sometime this winter. Yeah the nearest "decent" hotel is a half hour drive. We camped on site though, just make sure you take a heater cuz nights get cold. We found that out the hard way.

zdowell
11-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Were looking at going sometime in the spring. houses are 100$ a night to rent, and you can put 6 people in there. its so cheap!

Pipeless416
11-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by zdowell
Were looking at going sometime in the spring. houses are 100$ a night to rent, and you can put 6 people in there. its so cheap!

can you get some info on that? that would be so nice! can you ride from the house to the dunes or would they need to be trailered?

zdowell
11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Ill look for it again. Its the place that has the "white house" and different places. They are houses you can rent for a day or weeks at a time. The deal im looking at is 5 days at a $100 a day. Then the 6th and 7th are free. PRETTY SWEET DEAL!!!

SG1
11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
This link my help:
http://www.waynoka.com/littlesahara/cgi-bin/index.cgi

tar
11-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
when are you thinking about going? we wanted to go the week after christmas, but the nearest hotel is 26 miles away! :o

Not true they have a motel in Waynoka which is like under 5 miles.
To answer the other question I have been there and it's awesome. After you go once you will be addicted!

Pipeless416
11-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by tar
Not true they have a motel in Waynoka which is like under 5 miles.
To answer the other question I have been there and it's awesome. After you go once you will be addicted!

do you know the name of it by chance?

tar
11-10-2007, 08:14 PM
do you know the name of it by chance?

No I don't. It is just right into town though you can't miss it.

Pipeless416
11-10-2007, 08:16 PM
i think i found it.. trails inn

BranMan
11-10-2007, 10:08 PM
^ yeah thats it... be sure u ask 4 the newer rooms... the old ones arnt in very good shape...

tar
11-11-2007, 07:37 PM
i think i found it.. trails inn

Just don't be expecting a Hilton in or somthing!:blah:

smokinwrench
11-14-2007, 06:09 PM
They built a new addition on teh motel. I beleive it is 20 rooms. Both motels are owned by the same people. They only use one motel office for both motels.

Trails in and Little Sahara Inn is what the names are. I have stayed in teh old section its nothing to brag on by any means.

We are going down Thanksgiving weekend and we are taking an enclosed trailer, renting an electrical spot and sleeping in the trailer with a heater. Little Sahara has nice bathrooms and showers make sure you take a roll of quarters, the showers are pay.

ejh2011
11-24-2007, 04:56 PM
ya i live bout an hour away from it and we go there about 8 times a year but we just sleep in tents or our trucks or on the trailer

Pipeless416
11-24-2007, 05:00 PM
yea, the reason im asking about the motels is the fact that we're going down the week between christmas and new years, and we cant pull both the quads and our camper :p . does anybody know if either the ls inn or trails inn has access to the dunes, or would we need to trailer them each day?

tar
11-24-2007, 09:19 PM
yea, the reason im asking about the motels is the fact that we're going down the week between christmas and new years, and we cant pull both the quads and our camper :p . does anybody know if either the ls inn or trails inn has access to the dunes, or would we need to trailer them each day?

They have a trail that goes from the North Campground of the dunes to town so the answer is no. You can also ride on the streets that have arrows so you might bring dirt tires if you want to mess around. the trail is sand btw

Pipeless416
11-24-2007, 09:25 PM
alright thanks man. i think we'll all be running knobbies anyway since this is kind of a 1 time type of thing. if we like it enough to drive the 15 hours each way again then we'll invest in some paddles lol.

tar
11-25-2007, 06:29 PM
if we like it enough to drive the 15 hours each way again then we'll invest in some paddles lol.

holy **** that would suck it's only about an hour and 45 mins from me:blah:

yernkie
11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Forget the motel and take a decent tent, warm sleeping bag, and a little propane heater. Take plenty of firewood so you can sit around the campfire at night drinking your favorite beverage. Trust me, the camping at Little Sahara is a great time. No matter how cold, there are always people ready to party around a campfire down there.

Titanium
11-27-2007, 12:28 PM

the nearest hotel is less than a mile away from the dunes themself and you can ride your quad to and from ;)

Pipeless416
11-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
the nearest hotel is less than a mile away from the dunes themself and you can ride your quad to and from ;)

yea i found that. i cant wait! we would be all for tenting because thats what we usually do when we go on trips, but im not too sure how my dad would feel after sleeping in 30 degree weather. what are the days like? i see average highs of about 46 in waynoka for that time of year. we usually go to central wisconsin for our winter trip, but im so sick of being cold and wet for an entire day. any other tips?

trx400EXtreme
11-27-2007, 07:25 PM
we stay in a little place called the "bunkhouse" pretty cool. you can ride from it all the way to the dunes if you want and its a few hundred feet away from the grocery store.

Pipeless416
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
we stay in a little place called the "bunkhouse" pretty cool. you can ride from it all the way to the dunes if you want and its a few hundred feet away from the grocery store.

do you remember how much per night? i couldnt really find any quotes online. 15 hours at 10 mpg is going to hurt :o

trx400EXtreme
11-27-2007, 08:09 PM
do you remember how much per night? i couldnt really find any quotes online. 15 hours at 10 mpg is going to hurt :o sent you a PM.

Pipeless416
11-27-2007, 08:20 PM
got it. zdowell- sorry for totally highjacking your thread. i have absolutely no experience with dunes and im not sure if you do or not, but hopefully you're getting some answers too. thanks for all the help! heres a cookie for everybody. :)

Titanium
11-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by tar
They have a trail that goes from the North Campground of the dunes to town so the answer is no. You can also ride on the streets that have arrows so you might bring dirt tires if you want to mess around. the trail is sand btw

i wouldnt recomend messing around on the streets. me and a friend were just speeding down the trail to town we were still on the dirt part but its posted 15 there we never noticed the sign because its back in the bushes and covered up but we were doing 35 the state trooper said. It ended up with us having a 240$ ticket. the people in front of us got an even bigger one. i dont know how much theres was but i heard the cops say that they were goin 63 so you can imagine how much that one cost him. Also dont mess around on the streets because the new mayor there is trying there hardest to get rid of the trail to town and get rid of our privledge to ride our quads on the streets because of idiots that like to show off and get hurt.

dirtplay1975
12-16-2007, 11:31 PM
little sahara is a blast plain and simple. I make it down there alot during the warmer times but again its only a 2hr drive for me. I think you will enjoy it even though the drive will be long, afterall there are many many others that do the same thing as you several times a year.

Pipeless416
12-21-2007, 07:59 PM
ok i have a few more questions before we head down next week. is there anything we need to actually ride there?... as in paperwork? how exactly do we get in? do we go through a gate or something and buy a day pass? can we leave at all during the day without having to pay again? also, we will be able to buy flags down there correct? all of the flags around here will not reach 10 feet when mounted. im a bit confused. also, i heard something about showing proof of ownership (ie- titles) to enter. is there any truth to this? there are gas stations in town, correct? thanks in advance again. im just trying to figure everything out before we drive 15 hours away.

-anybody else going there next week? we're leaving at 3 am on the 26th. it should put us there at like 6 or 7 pm.

BranMan
12-21-2007, 09:55 PM
they have 2 gates with rangers there all day.. u pay $7 for a day and u get a wrist band therefore yes u can leave during the day.. and yes u can buy flags down there. there is a shop at the sounds campground. not sure when they r open during the holidays though. last year they were closed around new years. and yes gas stations in town.. but if u can fill up in a town b4 u get there. gas prices r sometimes higher in waynoka. and another thing u should b aware of dont no if its a prob for u but they do not allow double riding anymore.. its now a state law..
i should b down there the 29th - 31st not 4 sure though.. have a good trip..

smokinwrench
12-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Normally this time of year the south camp ground is the only one open just head south out of Waynoka for a few miles and you will find the park.

As for paper work for quads non needed. Just drive up to the gate and pay if someone is working the gate, if not drive through and they will catch next time out.

Spend the extra few $ and buy the lifetime warranty flags, the cheap ones break with the first minor crash.

Drive nice and slow in teh camp grounds.

Lights need to be working if you plan on a night ride. front and rear

Gas is always cheaper in Ok then it is in Kansas.

BECAREFUL when you get on the dunes, if it has been windy they can have 5-20 foot dropoffs at the top. Always have a spotter when jumping. Thanksgiving there was still a bunch of water at teh bottom of the dunes and in the low lying trails.

4R3AL
12-26-2007, 12:55 PM
he's almost there lol..

Pipeless416
01-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by 4R3AL
he's almost there lol..

tell me about it lol. we hit a pretty nasty storm on the way there and another one on the way back. but all in all it was an amazing trip. thanks for all the help guys. heres a thread for anybody interested. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=330662&perpage=13&pagenumber=2 i'll be adding to it once im back at school.