PDA

View Full Version : preload adjustments

Glenn Keaton
11-08-2007, 05:30 PM
got the elkas installed and they are awesome, just curiuos about preload, they came with about 2 inches of thread showing between the nut and the top of the shock. , and the front of the quad is about 2 inches lower than the rear, the book said to turn the nut clockwise to increase ground clearance, i have never seen shocks with this amount of threads showing, i need to bring the front up at least 2 inches, but the book said not to go to far, you could damage the shocks, ineed a little input this my first time with adjusting shocks, thanks

kenjolly
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Are you running stock a-arms or aftermarket, and what length shocks did you get.

Im using dc a-arms with long travel elkas, I also have about 2inch's of threads showing but im sitting leval.

post some pics so we can see what going on.

Glenn Keaton
11-09-2007, 02:10 AM
running stock 44 inch a arms and they measure ,i beleive 13 eye to eye, iam sure i can get the front up , adjusting the preload, i just did not want to damage the shock ,

humboldt hills
11-09-2007, 04:52 AM
did you get the 10" rear shock or the 12"?
if its the 12, that might be the problem.

Hetrick Racing
11-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Also to go with the 10 or 12 inch shock in the rear,did you get the correct shocks ?
If the person did not order them for a 44 and instead a 41 the ride height is way low as in your case.
Not saying this is for sure,also have seen them just built wrong.

hotquads1
11-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Glenn you should not try to raise the frnt by adding an additional 2" preload this would be 4" of threads exposed on top , this is not common , you would get coil bind, your travel would be limited. I think if you post some pics we can direct you .
Is the rear jacked way up over stock height ? and make sure you have your rider sitting on the bike for all these measurements.
marc

drr5
11-09-2007, 07:38 AM
i ran into this problem on 44 inch bike, i used our elkas from our long travel kasea and found the 13" shocks shorter than the stock shocks, i changed the lower a arm shock location and seems to work perfect.

bulldogfallon
11-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Can you post some pictures, and are all measurements being taken with the rider on the quad?

The shocks you received are:

10.3" Rear
13.1" Front

Glenn Keaton
11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
i think part of the problem is, we were doing the preload without a rider on the bike, i am sure that would make a big difference seeing how all your weight is sitting directly over the rear shock, they are defintly without question the correct shocks, because i laid them side by side before i installed them, we will have to wait until tomorrow to do any adjustments , because my seat sitter is gone until late tonight, thanks alot for the info, i will try to post a picture of the shocks if iam allowed to use HER camera