PDA

View Full Version : It's getting colder in Ohio... Slow Jet Question...

maxfior
11-08-2007, 04:28 PM
...So... after a search on cold starting blues I was amazed with all the issues and happy to see that most are pretty easy to correct. As far as I know, I have stock jetting in my 05. The only thing I tossed on was a Uni. I still use the air box lid and I'm sure I'll get a full exhaust one of these days (I'm just a cheap *****).
---
When to start ole 400 today, air temp in my shop is maybe 40 or so, maybe a little colder and it was a bear to start. It took me a few cranks and it stalled a few times but I was able to get it to run with a few pumps and slight throttle... So, after about 2 minutes of warm up it would idle and give me time to put on the brain bucket, gloves, goggles, etc.
---
After reading all the posts; I decided to order a 40 and 42 slow jet from our boys at Jets R Us. Most of you guys stated the 42 was all that was needed, but I read that 40 worked too. I just don't want to run too rich. But I plan on riding in nasy cold weather, at least I hope so...
---
For all you cold weather, snow roosting peeps, do you think I should just toss the 42 in, or go with the less-rich 40? I plan on getting a full pipe or at least a slip on in the near future, so I know I'll have to go bigger with the jets, but I don't want to mess with to much to lose the reliability that the stock setup is known for... What are your thoughts and thanks for reading this longer then normal post.

Max

CarGuy7a
11-08-2007, 05:08 PM
you'll know if your pilot jet is too rich. i threw a 42 in mine and at like 1 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw it wouldn't start because it was so rich. so i turned it in to like 1/4 turn out and it still wouldn't start. the 42 was way too rich for my application. one good way to tell if it won't start is to smell the exhaust pipe. with the 42 in mine it was just throwing a raw gas smell out the back.

so i threw a 40 in at 1 1/2 turns and it ran and started like a champ.

MO-EX-RIDER
11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
in the winter a #40 pilot and a fully charged battery are a must. and i always removed the aftermarket rev box too

slow96hater
11-08-2007, 06:32 PM
oleboy87 has a sweet deal on a whitebros e2 slipon. he says 40 bucks shipped.

maxfior
11-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks ALOT GUYS! I had a feeling I should just start with the 40 and see. I'll toss in the 40 when I get it, there is nothing worse then not being able to get something to start in the winter... Funny thing is, all my 20+ year old junky 3wheelers start perfectly in any temp, I guess back in the day stuff was jetted a bit more rich. Thanks again!
---
I'll have to see about that eSeries, $40 bones is pretty good! I just don't want it to be too loud that my neighbors hate me... But I'd like a little more performance! Thanks again all!

Max

maxfior
11-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER
in the winter a #40 pilot and a fully charged battery are a must. and i always removed the aftermarket rev box too

I have no rev box, but good thinking about the charger, I'll have to bust out the battery tender!

Max

CarGuy7a
11-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by maxfior
Thanks ALOT GUYS! I had a feeling I should just start with the 40 and see. I'll toss in the 40 when I get it, there is nothing worse then not being able to get something to start in the winter... Funny thing is, all my 20+ year old junky 3wheelers start perfectly in any temp, I guess back in the day stuff was jetted a bit more rich. Thanks again!
Max

i know. my dad still has his ole 86 yammi tri moto 225 and that thing will start whether is 90 or 20 below outside. that thing is great, after riding my 400 then hopping on that thing it feels like i'm so close to death.

maxfior
11-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
i know. my dad still has his ole 86 yammi tri moto 225 and that thing will start whether is 90 or 20 below outside. that thing is great, after riding my 400 then hopping on that thing it feels like i'm so close to death.

LOL! I totally hear what you are saying! Going from scary front forks only (sh**** at best) and playing bouncy, bounce... It can be scary, but sometimes fun... Then you hope on something that has semi-decent suspension, makes things quite better... I have to admit, I can ride a 3wheeler pretty dang well, since I've had 'em for years (ya gotta know how to throw around the body-english) but they still can be dangerous to people that don't understand how to ride them... Then they get out-lawed. Oh well!

Max

maxfior
11-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Holy Jets batman! The #40 made a HUGE DIFFERENCE! I got it installed to day, pretty easy to get to the carb I thought it was going to be worse... It's just crazy to think that they run a 38 stock... with the 40 and removing the air box it's like a whole new animal. Not to mention it starts super easy and idles! :D I'm excitied to get a pipe now! Winter riding here I come... Time to get the sled ready!

Max