PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Stage 1 cams

yernkie
11-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Has anyone installed Stage 1 Hot Cams in their KFX? My buddy instaleld them in his 06 KFX400 without the decompression mech and it will not start right. It lugs it down and the starter drains the battery. When we put a volt meter on the battery it registers around 12v, then when we hit the starter button it pulls it down to 2v. If we put a jumpbox or charger on the battery the quad fires right up and runs great. Another buddy works for a Kawi shop and he says that it is the cams, but I feel like it is somethign electrical because it did the same thing with the stock cams (the shop guy syas the valves were out of adjustment with the stock cams). Anyone had an issue like this? Everything eletrical tests good and we have checked all the wiring and grounds.

indyZrider
11-08-2007, 05:01 PM
does sound like a valve problem..... what are the clearances on te vavles right now? and it might be possible that your buddy got the new cams in but when he put the chain on he didnt get it dead on-like he missed by a tooth.

yernkie
11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
The chain was off a tooth, but I fixed that yesterday. The valves are right on. I think I am going to put his stock cams back in tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

GOTFEAR
11-08-2007, 08:57 PM
it should never drop below 8v under starting your battery needs replaced. a battery can read good and stile be bad.

yernkie
11-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Its not the battery. We tried batteries from his Z400, his wife's KFX400, and even a new one, and they all did the same thing. We even replace starters...same thing.

A guy at the local Kawi shop says that it is because the cam does not have a decompression mechinism on it and the starter cannot overcome the compression. Maybe he is right (after all, he is the Kawi certified mechanic, and I am just a computer guy), but then shouldn't everyone running this same cam have the same problem? I know lots of people using cams with no decompression mech and not having these problems (granted, they are Honda's and Yami's). My neighbor's old MX bike (400EX, 12:1 416, Stage 2 cam, no decompression) would fire right up all the time. :confused:

drzoo2
11-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I have stage two hotcams with no decomp. They do start a bit hard when you happen to be in compression and when you hit the starter. You can hear the difference. Every once in a while I may have to hit it twice or it won't turn over. It'l catch. Not very often. This is the price you pay for performance parts. That being said if you had the chain of one tooth this may be bad. I believe the piston and valves are interference fit. Did he bother rotating the engine after installing the cams by hand. You do this to look for these kinds of issues BEFORE you fire it up. Check your clearances and I hope you didn't bend a valve.

z