PDA

View Full Version : Used Hotcams

dustin_j
11-08-2007, 09:57 AM
I am hoping to rebuild my 400ex this winter, probably bore to a 416. I don't have enough $$ to do the rebuild and buy a new cam, but are used cams ok? Is there anything to look for? I'm thinking either a stage1 or stage2 Hotcam.

81 clark racing
11-08-2007, 11:10 AM
imo id never buy any used motor parts. save up and buy a new one. you dont no how much times on the cam if it was broke in right etc. just my 2 cents

GPracer2500
11-08-2007, 11:35 AM
I bought a used HotCams cam for a 400EX once (ebay). It worked out fine for me. Guy said he installed it, ran it for a few hours, didn't like it so he took it out. Or something like that, I can't remember exactly. Anyway, he had the original box and the cam looked fine in the pictures. When I received the cam it was in excellent condition and I believed his "few hours" story.

The cam worked just fine. Also, I was using used rockers that I purchased from a different guy. They had been run for who knows how long on a stock cam.

Is it ideal to buy use engine parts and run them as-is? Obviously not. When two used parts like a cam lobe and a rocker arm meet for the first time there may be some accelerated wear depending on how badly worn each of those parts are. But as long as neither part is heavily worn and/or out of spec, the parts can mate and live happily ever after. That's the idea anyway.

It's not like everyone replaces their rockers every time they install a new cam. Some might, but most don't. Running a used cam isn't really any different, AFAIK. It just could potentially make it a little harder for the cam and rocker to find a common ground--so to speak. It just depends on the condition of the parts.

If you can't afford a new cam and can find a good deal on a low hour used cam--I suspect it would work out just fine for you in the end. Just don't install a worn out cam.

INFAMOUSRACER7
11-13-2007, 09:50 AM
there is realy nothing that can go wrong with a cam i would put a used cam in my bike. i have three different cams that i use and i wouldnt hesitate to sell any of them to anyone.