PDA

View Full Version : LT250s

EricB
11-06-2002, 03:05 PM
exactly how fast are these things? i know they're faster than a 400, what about a 250r? raptor? DS650...prooly not a banshee unless its been moded an the shee hasnt. anyhow, whats the scoop on these?

josh400ex3
11-06-2002, 03:17 PM
not as good as a 250r. i dont know the differnce but i think it has somthing to do with the swing arm. i asked the same question like a year ago but i forgot what people said. they are cheeper then 250r's but i really dont why

airheadedduner
11-06-2002, 03:19 PM
I had one, it is my brothers now. It was a little faster then a 400ex. They are good machines, a great step up from a blaster.

Bean
11-06-2002, 03:20 PM
they had a more advanced motor in their last few years, powervalved

their front end was a flatframe, the R uses a bent type (cant remember name)

the zuki had a difficult to use chain ajustment system, unlike the R

zuki had a T shaped seat, it was larger and some think more comftarable

lt 250r = zuki trz250r = honda

Ryan
11-06-2002, 03:21 PM
The 250r had better ratings but as far as speed The LT250 is just as fast as the 250r. I think in the long run the chassie was better on the R. they had a big shootout with the LT250, TRX250 and the tecate-4. the Tecate ended up last and the TRX won the shootout. But the LT was not to far behind.
If you have ever road a Honda250r then you would know how fast it is.

tants
11-06-2002, 03:22 PM
lt250r are faster then 250rs. a major factor that makes the quadracer faster is a powervalve which come stock. and when all 250r guys upgrade their motors to 310cc and 330 cc they normaly throw in a p/v (powervalve) 250rs are more race worthy because they make more aftermarket parts, and plain old just built beter, ive taken apart my 92 quadracer and was amused just how suzuki built this thing. i've also taken apart my 86 250r and was much happier with the overall design and thought honda put into it. quadracrs are not bad machines but could have had a 2nd thought by zuki to refurbish them a little beter, but yes over the years fron 85-92 they deff. got beter. lt's are faster stock vs. stock with a 250r. i think the 250r stock hits 68-70mph and the quadracer stock hits 70-72mph give or take a few...
i have a 92 quadracer for sale if you might be interested...

tants
11-06-2002, 03:26 PM
like bean said quadracers have a nice cumfy T seat. it helpts when cornering. the chain adjustment on the lt's is a joke!

airheadedduner
11-06-2002, 03:30 PM
mine was an 85' so it was slow. I had that reprint article out of atv-action with the LT,TRXR, and Tacate. The Tacate smoked them both, Honda 2nd, and the suzuki was last but not real far behind. That was an 89' Lt but I think it had the same motor as the ones up to 92'. Not absolutly positive though.

4punksdad
11-06-2002, 04:25 PM
The LT250R was never the best perforing high performance quad on the market........with the exception of the first year when it had no competition. But I can tell you that its a comfortable, good handling, and very competitive 2stroke machine.

If you like 2stroke trail machines...........this one is hard to beat.

EricB
11-06-2002, 05:06 PM
ok now it wont get any replys, but how do they handle? compared to the 400?

4punksdad
11-06-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by EricB
ok now it wont get any replys, but how do they handle? compared to the 400?

very similar actually. They sit low & feel very stable. Thats why I own one of each. :)

EricB
11-06-2002, 05:32 PM
yeah 4punks, your one of the few people i actually listen to when they talk. most people just say "nacs!" or "pep!" just cos its a popular MX brand...same goes with bikes. anyhow, yeah i heard that they were really good bikes. but the guy i was takling two owned 2 brand new, 85s i think. one for him and his son. but he didn't know much about bikes. he said it was "scarry fast!" and handled really good. hehe i know its not scarry fast, but i wasn't sure about the handling.

how hard is it to find replacement parts? either OEM or aftermarket, i don't see much along the lines of LT aftermarket patrs. but then again i've never really done any scouring for them. what year is your's 4punks? that was Guy's bike before right?

Juggalo
11-06-2002, 06:08 PM
i really like the lt's. i had an 85 and it still blew EX's away all day. overall it didn't handle very bad at all but the bumpsteer was kind of noticable. the 87's had the fastest motor but the 88-92 is regarded as being the best years. the 85 and 86 lt's didn't have the powervalve but had the easy honda style chain adjustment. the 87's and up got the crappy new design.

EricB
11-06-2002, 06:31 PM
ok i understand that top speed wise they're faster than a few bikes. but what about in a straight drag race? against a 400ex, LT would win obiouvlsy but what about a stock shee or a stock 250r? i know these questions are kind of the same. but i worded them wrong before.

Has anyone had much experince with a Quadzilla, thats really what i want. but i don't know how much they cost. i want a 2 stroke 4 wheeler for drag racing, sand, snow, and general play riding. the 400ex is going to still be the main trail bike, unless i like the LT betta. but whats the scoop on the LT500s? i know that they have weak main bearings from the factory in certain years, but almost all are replaced. are the zillas really faster than most shees?

4punksdad
11-06-2002, 08:31 PM
my lt is an 87 and yes it was guys bike before. I was fortunate to find one in such good shape I think.

anyway.........drag racing a stock bike doesn't tell you a whole lot.

for instance..........I have beaten stock raptors in a drag with my stock 400ex............simply rider input.

a few weeks ago I dragged a 440ex, 250r, and raptor with my quadracer & got wooped...........then again I missed 2 gears :o

as far as accelleration goes, the quadracer has plenty of it & will come off the line with any bike on the market given the right rider is on the seat.

the cool part about owning a quadracer is that it was the daddy of all high performance quads, Nobody else can ever say they were first :)

Juggalo
11-06-2002, 08:51 PM
drag racing has a lot of factors that determine the outcome of the race like 4punks said. but if you are wondering about top speed the LT is faster than the R but slower than the shee. the kawasaki tecate is faster than the banshee. the zilla is one bad machine. they have tons of torque, it almost feels like your on a fourstroke. they will pull wheelies easier than my EX. in fact i might have the chance to build my dream bike in a couple weeks. this kid at skool might sell me his wrecked 400 for really cheap. if i can pick that up then i am selling the motor out of it and picking up a zilla motor for it. then i will have one sweet handling quad with a sweet engine in it.

EricB
11-06-2002, 09:06 PM
man that would be a great machine, the LT500 already is counter ballanced, designed for a quad. i don't know i think i'm just going to save up for an LT500 project...or try and find one. one of my dad's buddies bought one brand new don't ask me what year or anything i was a little kid =P but him and his buddy both told me that it was so bad ***. tons of torque like you said jug. going to a riding place we always do called wagner. you can ride like 5 or 8 miles on gravel roads up hill. he said in any gear you couldn't cath traction AT ALL. an when it would it would just pull the front end off the ground. i really for some reason don't like shees, everyone has them and someone always has the faster shee. so having an LT500 would be like an old school ace in the hole. not to many people have them and they're fast as ****. i was just thinking the LT250 because its still fast, but its not as fast or faster than my buddies banshees.

so i suppose i'll ask people about the LT500s. jug, what do you know about them as far as what to look for on them and stuff. or maybe a good site with info so you don't have to answere a ton of questions. unless you want to...or who ever else knows about them.

Edit: oh and i do realize that drag racing, and racing period is more that you need to be a good rider. i'm not going to try and sound like i'm braging, but i'm a pretty good rider. i've only really draged a few bikes in the 400 class. most of them i've raced i've won against. but that isn't the point. i just want a bike that is really fast and not a shee. i know that the whole 70% bike 30% rider....yeah i know but you can only shift so fast and not miss shifts, but you still need a good platform. also after i just made the speech about how i want to get a good drag bike. but i also want a bike i can still ride arround. but please don't tell me it will be to fast for the trails. because aaron my friend's banshee runs 8.1@87 in the 8th but that was also with knobbys, didn't have any flat track or slicks or anything. i meen his bike is serriously fast. now i don't know if i would want something that fast, but probably =P so if you get used to the bike, and the power would it be possible to mess arround on pretty easy trails? i haven't rode one so i have zero idea of how much power it has. stock for stock how much more power does it have over a shee? just to try to get an idea. whats the power band hit like is it pretty much through most of the RPMs?

airheadedduner
11-06-2002, 10:28 PM
If I where to buy a trail machine it would probly be an lt250. You can get mint ones for $2k or less. My dad had one taht was ported with a dg pipe and it flew. I can't beleive how light the LT is, dry weight is 320lbs!!!!!!

EricB
11-07-2002, 11:07 AM
yeah the more i think about it, the LT500 will still not be as fast as a shee probably. well i meen it will but your still going to have to do a lot of mods. like porting, pipes reeds maybe a bore kit or something. who knows, but i think i'm still going with the 250. it just seems to be such an awsome machine. from what you guys have told me and from what i've read on websites.

airheadedduner
11-07-2002, 11:34 AM
At florence I saw an modded LT500 dragging comp hill. When they started from the bottom he would run even with highly modded banshees. But when they started on a slight uphill he would kill them. 500 powervalve has got to have killer torque :D

EricB
11-07-2002, 01:24 PM
yeah from what jugalo said, and from what i was reading the PV'd 500s are awsome. the whole power valve technology is such a good idea. i can't belive that all high preformance 2 strokes aren't PV'd from the factory.

Juggalo
11-07-2002, 03:15 PM
all years of zillas had the pv the 250 didn't have the powervalve till 87. if your getting a zilla stay away from the first year (87). they blow head gaskets like crazy. the newer years had an extra stud on the head. also like some1 else said there is a weak link in the motor (i forget what it is exactly i think its the bearing the rod turns on or somethin) that should be replaced with a brass one that will never wear out when you go into the motor. other than that the zillas were pretty tough and reliable machines.

Bean
11-07-2002, 03:24 PM
Zilla's are beasts, it takes alot of shee muskel to beat them, then pipe the zilla, and say buh buy to the poor shee, it is going to be buried alive

also, they hav a few weak links in it, the headgasket problem, they hav a bearing/rod prob, and the airfilter i belive is also another prob, btw if u plan on cassually riding the zilla around, in the woods, in the mud, it wont like that, niether will an R, Lt, Tecate, ect, they WILL let u know if they dont like something, and ussally, it is not in your best intrest to find out what they will do

Guy400
11-07-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Bean
Zilla's are beasts, it takes alot of shee muskel to beat them, then pipe the zilla, and say buh buy to the poor shee, it is going to be buried alive

also, they hav a few weak links in it, the headgasket problem, they hav a bearing/rod prob, and the airfilter i belive is also another prob, btw if u plan on cassually riding the zilla around, in the woods, in the mud, it wont like that, niether will an R, Lt, Tecate, ect, they WILL let u know if they dont like something, and ussally, it is not in your best intrest to find out what they will do I'll have to disagree with the LT not liking the trails. With the PV they make nice power down low, more than the typical 2-stroke. I've only ridden on trails in my 15 years of riding LT's and it was never a problem.

Bean
11-07-2002, 05:06 PM
well, i guess i worded it wrong

personally, with my experiance in 2strokes, they do not like mud, woods (most of mine hav been NON PV),and they dont like tight stuff, and if they decide to not like it (this is also my experaince), they will let u know by

A: hitting the PB, and slamming u into a tree
B: overheating
C: spinning around, causing u to hit a tree
D: locking up
E: all of the above

Juggalo
11-07-2002, 05:19 PM
the LT series of quads are probably the most woods friendly 2 stroke ever made (unless you count the auto ploaris's). the zilla is a little wide for the tight stuff but the 250 is right at home in the trails. plenty of low end power and no overheating problems either (my lt ran cooler than my EX i'm willing to bet) the quadracers also had a nice smooth powerband, especially in the powervalve years. i loved mine in the trails.

EricB
11-07-2002, 08:34 PM
jug you have some other pics of the LT? i'd like to see some hehe.

maybe some of you don't understand what the power valve system does. basicly routes the exhaust into an extra chamber in the case. so its not using the full potential of the pipe. the pipes (head pipe) is designed for optium preformance when the bike is in the power band. what ever rpm that is. the power valve routs it in a way to where it makes the pipe work better in the lower or uper rpms, they're adjustable. i'm pretty sure thats the whole concept, but i'm probably off in a few areas. but thats the basic concept.

but yeah, i talked to a few people here (shee owners of course) that said the zillas weren't as fast as the shees hehe, but how? i meen i know its a V-twin but its still 350ccs...eh people, don't wanna admit that there is anything faster than theirs.

yeah those were the two problems i remeber reading about the zillas, they blow head gaskets like a motha. an the rod bearings are super weak for some reason. but now...like almost 20 years later, unless your lucky i'd be surprised if you could find one with original factory rod bearings. but like i said it's a project bike, or will be. so if it's not i'll do it =)

ryewith
11-08-2002, 06:57 AM
Here's a link to an old Dirt Wheels article on a Tecate website that compares all three of the "big three" 250 2 strokes of that era.

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/6243/ultimate.htm

Juggalo
11-08-2002, 05:14 PM
the zilla is faster than the shee. the shee isn't a v-twin (it is a twin tho). shees have more hop up potential than zillas.

EricB
11-08-2002, 07:56 PM
but pipes reeds filter porting...that will make it crazy fast i bet.

Bean
11-08-2002, 08:22 PM
hey Jug, jw, but if u had the choice, between that Lt, and your Ex, which would u hav chosen, which did u like better?

i am wonderin, cause i wouldnt ever go back to a 400ex

flyin#5
11-08-2002, 08:39 PM
i was looking at a lt250r and it had a cracked and welded case a dg pipe and i am pretty sure the rest was stock. it was in pretty good condition but still had been used hard and quite a bit and didnt look quite as good as your guy's quads. and he also wanted 2500 for it. i would have only paid 1500 for it at most.

Juggalo
11-08-2002, 09:47 PM
i definately miss the power of my LT but the 400ex is just so much better all around.

EricB
11-09-2002, 06:32 PM
yeah i don't know, the 400 definatly needs more power. but not nesacarily, just in stock form with new stock tires. not a lot of things beat it for stock for stock trail riding. i know i wouldn't get rid of the 400 for something because i love the power handling and how its setup for trails. but i definatly want a 2 stroke rocket too.

Bean
11-09-2002, 10:16 PM
well, u dont need blazing speed for Mx track

11-09-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Bean
well, u dont need blazing speed for Mx track

sorry, but this isn't an MX only site

josh
11-09-2002, 11:02 PM
i haven't ever personally ridden the lt's but i have seen them in the dunes and those things are like light weight rockets, there is one for sale over here for 3 grand, it's very very well kept, has a fmf fatty pipe with dg muffler, i think it also has a few other goodies that i can't remember and some really nice works shocks, i am going to go offer him 2700 for it cuz that's about all it's worth and it has been up for sale for a while, but i'll go test it first

Bean
11-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by EXracer8601

sorry, but this isn't an MX only site

never said it was, just sayin, top speed means nothin unless u drag somewhere, which i dont

11-09-2002, 11:56 PM
well i was just sayin that i dont mx, and in TT racing, dragracing, and wide open riding, dunes.... that speed comes into place

Bean
11-14-2002, 06:59 PM
true true

lildude
11-14-2002, 08:59 PM
if a 400ex were to drag a lt250r how many quad lengths would the lt win bye

and if the 400ex rider was skilled enough is there anyway he could beat the lt

ryewith
11-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by lildude
if a 400ex were to drag a lt250r how many quad lengths would the lt win bye

and if the 400ex rider was skilled enough is there anyway he could beat the lt

Well Norm, That's a good question, but before we can answer that we have to take into account a few other factors. Wind speed, Ground Moisture, and Tire wear. If wind was 15mph out of the SW, Ground was only slightly moist, and both quads had equal tire wear, the LT would surely win by 4.3 quad lenths.

Just play'n lildude;) , I'm one to believe it's mostly rider skill that determines the answer. So yes a 400ex could beat a LT on any given sunday.

PEACE

Bean
11-14-2002, 09:29 PM
well, if the riders were equal, the LT would win, piped, the LT would win, but this is all equal riders, it is possible for a good rider on a 400 to win

josh
11-14-2002, 10:37 PM
that's a good question, but i would say an lt, cuz those thinngs are alot lighter and prob bout the same hp, and they rev a whole lot faster and higher so i would say stock for stock with equal conditions and equal riders the lt would beat it, and you couldn't switch riders cuz the 2 stroke is soo different to ride so you would have to have several diff riders on each machine with equal conditoins and average out the wins to losses, but i still thinkt he lt would win in a drag

josh
11-14-2002, 10:40 PM
hey ryewith, how do you like that tecate, what do you think you would like better, a lt or tecate, and r is not an option cuz i know they are alot better for mx so, for just average riding and dunes would you guys choose the tecate or lt for a bike to ride, thanks, i am also debating on what i want to buy

josh

ryewith
11-15-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by josh
hey ryewith, how do you like that tecate, what do you think you would like better, a lt or tecate, and r is not an option cuz i know they are alot better for mx so, for just average riding and dunes would you guys choose the tecate or lt for a bike to ride, thanks, i am also debating on what i want to buy

josh

what's up Josh, I absolutely love the tecate. I've wanted one since they came out in 87. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the LT to make a fair decision. As far as I've read, stock for stock the LT would be a better bike all around. All I know is my tecate is a total crotch rocket. I'm still learning how to ride it (I'm used to a 4stroke). They are hard to find in good condition and parts are expensive because Kawasaki discontinued many of them. Eventually I want to get a thumper so I don't put so much wear&tear on the tecate. I eventually want a bike too so you'll need to decide what is more important. I have to atleast have a quad for year round riding.

4punksdad
11-15-2002, 08:09 PM
my LT is now equiped with turf tamers. The holeshots were no good on this bike :)

Tecate250
11-15-2002, 10:55 PM
yeah Tecates rule.
And what is this about 500lt slower then a banshe?
Thas crap. A magazine did an article on all the 2 stokes and did performance crap to them.
the 500 blew the doors off the shee.
The teactes being faster then a shee? Hmm.
Well there little buddy wanting a lt. I raced a 400 ex when my exhaust was messed it had holes in the expansion chamber burning coolant and had a slight scratch in the cylinder. He got a hole shot but we were neck and neck till 3rd I ruined him.
Oh did i mention That was my first time racing let alone driving a 2 stroke. So all you 4 stoke lovers out there eat 2 stroke dust lol.
no offense guys.

Besides there is nothing like running allover a 2002 sport bike with a 12 year old bike.
With regard to the power valve system it does alter the chamber but it also lowers your power band as well. When I drove my t3 for the first time I was scared by the power band. I was use to my t4 .

But hey its just my 2 cents worth.

My tecate 4 rules.
My 84 and 85 Tecate 3's also rule

airheadedduner
11-16-2002, 12:40 AM
My uncle has an 87' tacate 4 for sale. It is mint, 2 sets of plastic, full sand and durt tires, nerfs, piped, ported, works shocks. If I had the $2k he is asking for it it would be sitting in my garage. Tacates fly!!!

4punksdad
11-16-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
My uncle has an 87' tacate 4 for sale. It is mint, 2 sets of plastic, full sand and durt tires, nerfs, piped, ported, works shocks. If I had the $2k he is asking for it it would be sitting in my garage. Tacates fly!!!

If I lived in oregon it would be parked in my garage........ :)

yellowrider
11-16-2002, 07:22 AM
i ridden a lt250 twice, the first time i rode it a hundred yards maybe then i rode back to the rider and let him have it back,

the 2nd time i really got a feel for the lt and i really do like it i climb some little bitty lhills with it and jump over some longs and i really like the snap and go power of the lt,

i cant compare it to the honda because i havent been at the sandpit for a long time, and the last time i went we were the only 4 there

Tecate250
11-16-2002, 10:39 PM
How good are the lts?
I hear they have alot of probles with them.

josh
11-16-2002, 10:46 PM
hey rye, you got any good pics of that tecate u got, i can't really check it out good with that small pick under your name, i thought the tecate would be almost identical to the lt250 cuz i know the new z400 and kawi 400 are just about identical and i know zuki and kawi are similar companies that share disignes and stuff like that so..............who knows, i just thought they would be the same or very similar like the new 400's are and stuff............ post some pics of the susp and motor and action shots if u got any, thanks, josh

4punksdad
11-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Tecate250
How good are the lts?
I hear they have alot of probles with them.

I love mine..........I bought it from Guy432 on this forum at a very reasonable price. It handles & runs great.

josh
11-17-2002, 10:33 AM
hey 4punks, if u don't mind me asking, and you dont have to answer, but just out of couriosity how much did u pay for that lt250 and what year is it, it looks to be in very very good condition and i am trying to put realistic prices on quads so when mine sells and i go looking at bikes i would know how much to offer a guy, i am eyeballing a few quads of the cycletrader, check em out and tell me wat u think about pricing and stuff http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/9/6/34613796.htm http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/8/36640838.htm http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/8/36641738.htm

4punksdad
11-17-2002, 10:37 AM
hey 4punks, if u don't mind me asking, and you dont have to answer, but just out of couriosity how much did u pay for that lt250 and what year is it, it looks to be in very very good condition and i am trying to put realistic prices on quads so when mine sells and i go looking at bikes i would know how much to offer a guy, i am eyeballing a few quads of the cycletrader, check em out and tell me wat u think about pricing and stuff http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/9/6/34613796.htm http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/8/36640838.htm http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/8/36641738.htm

I would rather not say what I paid. But it was a deal. I would value this quadracer at 2500. The value of quads is really subject to what the buyers motivation is. I just wanted a mint quadracer to have. I had little intentions on riding it as much as I have been. :)

josh
11-17-2002, 01:35 PM
ok, i understand about what u paid for it, but wat do u guys think of the quads on the links i put up, u guys think they are reasonable asking prices?????? would u guys pay that much for a lt250 if you had lots and lots of open desert to ride at with dunes 3 1/2 hours away, or would u look for a 300ex, i am trying to get the most out of my money for about 2900 bucks, cuz that's prob about as much cash as i can come up with so................what is the best bang for the buck??????? anybody.............

4punksdad
11-17-2002, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't pay mor than 1500 for the one in the first link. maybe not more than 1000 if I saw it in person. It looks rough.

I might pay 2800.00 - 3000 for the one in the second link if it is real clean. The picture kinda stinks.

the 2 in the 3rd ad look the best. This guy obviously knows his quadracers.........both for 4000 would be a deal. sell one for 3000 and you got a quad for 1000. not a bad deal.

Bean
11-17-2002, 07:29 PM
the last link was the best, dont think i would pay 4g for it, but they are nice bikes

ryewith
11-18-2002, 08:32 AM
hey rye, you got any good pics of that tecate

Here is a link to a thread that has several pics of my ride.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26578

TECATE250 - welcome to the board. Let's see some pics of your rides

Below is a link to a pretty sweet tecate
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872636949

4punks - that LT is niiiiicccccceee!

josh
11-18-2002, 04:52 PM
what about anything else, i have already analyzed that it is mearly impossible for me to buy a 400ex because of how much quads cost here in arizona, and i would have to buy a basically stock 300, but i can't find any 250r's in ok condition for less than 3500 out here and i am runnin out of options cuz i dont want a tecate because of part availability and stuff like that, but i do want something that would be great as a minor trail bike and a desert and dune quad, and the lt250 seems to fit perfectly for that, cuz 2 strokes are king in the dunes and are great in the desert, ps. the only forest type stuff i have is about 2 hours away and we only make 1 2 day trip a year just as a camping thing with a huge group of people, but durring riding season we do normally go to the dunes about 1nce every month or 2 so.........i was thinking a 250 2 stroke lightweight rocket would give me the power and go i want when i hit the throttle, anybody else got any other quads lined up as a possibility????? suggestions maybe????

p.s. whatever i get will only be ridden in desert and sometimes duens, so what is the best thing i can get 4 about 2900 bucks or so????

Bean
11-18-2002, 05:09 PM
if thats what u want, a 250r, LT 250r, tecate, or a cheap shee is what ur lookin for

josh
11-18-2002, 09:22 PM
i was thinkin about a shee but then again i don't want to pay double to rebuild the motor, are 2 strokes truly alot harder to dial in on jetting and are they really as sensitive on jetting as i hear, i hear, were i am at we are at 820 ft. elevation and the sand dunes are about 100 to sea level, and my friend with his r, it's pretty modded, high comp, bigger carb, nice exhaust, etc. has to change his jetting when he makes a 700 ft elevation difference, do you think a nearly stock lt would be that sensitive, cuz that's really a pain if it is, but i can deal with it i guess, cuz if i can take apart my 250x motor and put it back together with the manual only helping me on aligning the timing and have the bike start the first kick the first time i am messing with a quad motor i think that's pretty good, and i know 2 strokes are much simpler to rebuild etc. but jetting is what i have the least experience in.......... go figure, i can rebuild a motor a few times without ever any problems but i can't seem to get it perfectly right with the carburator???? o well, practice makes perfect

ryewith
11-19-2002, 07:54 AM
As I type this I am knocking on wood... but, my tecate has given me no trouble as far as jetting. I haven't changed the jetting, sparkplug, or fuel mixture since I bought it. I would have to say that from my research this is due to my fuel mixture. I use Amsoil 2cycle 2000 series and mix it 50:1. I do not waiver this mixture at all up or down. The guy I bought if off of told me to mix it this way, my mechanic told me to mix it this way, and I will continue to mix it this way. My mechanic said that in the winter I will probably need to go up 2 main jet sizes due to colder air being more dense. There are a few variables that can change with 2 strokes in the jetting area. You should keep them the same as much as possible and change one variable when needed... ie the main jet.

Josh - you have a honda 250x which is a sweet solid bike for trails. I had one as you can see by my sig. I only sold it because I needed money bad. I say keep your 250x if you can. If you're patient you'll find a deal on a decent 2stroke rocket and own a piece of history.

*climbs down off soap box*:o

Tecate250
11-19-2002, 08:42 PM
Actually I have no pics of my rides on the comp.
Infact I have no scanner.
All I can say is There is nothing wrong with tecates.
"knock on wood" Mine broke 2 times but other factors take into place here. Check a Kawy dealer. All I know is I can get any tranny part and complete plastics but no cases.
If you can get a tecate get 1.
I hear they are the best 250r you can buy. BUT im talking about if 250r ans lts did not have all that aftermarket crap.
People are alwasy telling me that the rs are the best. But why?
I wonder what would have happened if kawy pushed the tecate out more.
So it became more popular then the r and lt.
There would be more aftermaket crap for it.

Plus the tecats look so much better.

Hears a though.
get a Tecate atc.
More grunt and stylish looks.

ryewith
11-20-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Tecate250
All I know is I can get any tranny part and complete plastics but no cases.

Dude if you can get your hands on complete sets of plastics you're doing very well up in Canada. I have 2 sets and for some pieces I have 3, but I'm sitting on that stuff. It's like gold down here because it's nearly imposible to come by. Just check ebay once in a while and see how much a scuffed and cracked set will go for.

I agree that Tecates look the best out of all of the 250s. Many people don't agree but hey it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

Tecate250 - what have you done performance wise to your Tec4?

Juggalo
11-20-2002, 05:39 PM
heres my friends kx525 tecate with axis shocks and the whole works. he can get you just about any tecate part. if you need parts IM killerkx327 on AIM

tants
11-20-2002, 05:49 PM
a bad day for a lt. :(

tants
11-20-2002, 05:54 PM
for sale! :D

Tecate250
11-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Well All thats is really performance on my t4 is a new sleeve and a air filter.
Yes my T4 is stock. I want to get the original sleeve for it tho.
If anyone knows where i can get 1.
Dosent need to be perfect as long as it is the elec fusion sleeve.
I have tons of pics of it but no scanner.

josh
11-20-2002, 09:35 PM
hey nasty, what kind of condition is that lt in, looks really clean, is that the same thing as in the pic with the broken frame, if u rebuilt it you did a nice job freshening it up, nice bike, where are u located??????

josh
11-20-2002, 09:36 PM
y is there a basket under the quad in the pic?????????? did u weld the frame or something???????? what's up with it?

Bean
11-20-2002, 09:41 PM
holds it off the ground, i use tires during quick tire changes, unless its a long repair, then i show it off up on the stand, under a massive tent, lmao

bklyn400ex
11-20-2002, 09:43 PM
what do u want 4 the 250??

josh
11-20-2002, 10:43 PM
it's in his sig dude, 2,700 "reduced" nobody wanted it when he was asking 3,200 so he dropped it and still not many replies................don't see y, looks nice, i'd prob consider it if i could check it out in person and ride it but o well

ryewith
11-21-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
heres my friends kx525 tecate with axis shocks and the whole works. he can get you just about any tecate part. if you need parts IM killerkx327 on AIM

Juggalo - I bought my tail light off your buddy with the kx525

Tecate250 - check out killerkx327 and I PMed you.

Live2Ride300
11-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
my LT is now equiped with turf tamers. The holeshots were no good on this bike :)

Thats funny you said that, because my neighbor used to have two LTs, he had holeshots on one of them and he didnt like them either. Howcome you didnt like them?

Guy400
11-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300

Thats funny you said that, because my neighbor used to have two LTs, he had holeshots on one of them and he didnt like them either. Howcome you didnt like them? I bought the Holeshot's on Joe's LT when I owned it. I wanted to buy Razr's but Rocky Mountain was sold out so I settled with the Holeshot's. I never liked them either and I don't blame Joe for ditching them. My biggest complaint was the unpredictability when sliding. Sometimes they would slide well other times on the same corner the tires would decide they wanted to dig and you'd get squirrely. Another thing was the traction in the mud was terrible. I've got Holeshot's on my Dale right now and I can't wait for the day they're worn so I can replace them.

josh
11-21-2002, 04:51 PM
that's strange, i got holeshots and i absolutely love them for my riding conditions, i ride in dusty hard dirt desert only, we have nothing else, and mountains with dark soft nice dirt is an hour and a half away at least so.............i think holeshots are excellent if you are riding more rugged dusty hard packed terrain, but from the pictures i can tell you guys are up in the forest and soft dirt, i've had mine up in the forest in arizona and i love them there also, i haven't had any problems with stability or unpredictability, but i guess riding 2 strokes is a lot different than 4 strokes, for the conditions i ride in i absolutely love my tires, i have ridden bikes with kenda tires and other styles, but out here the holeshots are like the best things you can get for the terrain

4punksdad
11-21-2002, 06:23 PM
I will be riding the 400 with the holeshots very soon. I will let you know what I think of them on a 4stroke. But they dont hook up worth a crap on the quadracer.

The turf tamers smoke the holeshots in my opinion.

85QuAdRaCEr
11-21-2002, 11:21 PM
I have a 1985 lt250r quadracer that my dad gave to me last year. He bought it from his best friend in 86 who bought it brand new. My dad never rode it, it sat in a storage garage. It is all stock except for the tires and air filter. I have been offered 3000 cash for it twice in person by people that didnt even ride it. I love it and will never ride anything but a 2stroke quadracer. i once rode a 2000 400ex and hated it. it seemed so heavy and bulky. The 4strokes just arent for me. I dont have any pics on here yet but hopefully i will get some soon.

85QuAdRaCEr
11-21-2002, 11:24 PM
I was also curious on how much more power a new pipe would give my 85 quadracer. The stock pipe is in perfect condition but i wouldnt mind getting a new one.

4punksdad
11-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by 85QuAdRaCEr
I was also curious on how much more power a new pipe would give my 85 quadracer. The stock pipe is in perfect condition but i wouldnt mind getting a new one.

I run the stock pipe on my 87. I like the mellow quiet sound of the stock pipe. The last one I owned was an 88 with a slip on silencer, and it seemed to have a little more power.

josh
11-22-2002, 08:16 PM
the header makes a huge difference on a 2 stroke, slip on's don't do jack chit for the money if you want power on a 2 stroke, just get a header or full system, cuz the header is where you get all the power on a 2 stroke, i would recomend fmf fatty or gnarly pipe, i think the fatty or gold series is the best setup, if you could find a header that fits the stock muffler that would be cool cuz you would still get power and keep the nice sound level

85QuAdRaCEr
11-23-2002, 12:06 AM
Im sorry, thats what I meant to type. When I said pipe, I meant head pipe or header. My bad. I have the stock silencer and an fmf power core silencer also. I meant to ask how much more power a header pipe would give my bike. I have been looking at some fmf header pipes and I think thats what Im gonna go with. Thanks for your replies. They are appreciated.

Chef
11-23-2002, 01:04 AM
I raced an LT500 (piped and an air filter with 10 paddle haulers)with my banshee (Toomeys, cool head, 215 lbs of compression, V-Force Reed Cages with carbon fiber reeds, Pro Flo with a K&N, I was running 10 paddle haulers) He was about my same weight, and looked to be a pretty good rider. We raced once on a flat spot, and three times on a pretty good sized dune. On the flat spot, he ate me up. Like 3-4 quad lengths in 400 feet. On the hill, for some un-earthly reason, I took him once by about 1 quad length, and he took me once by about 2. So a zilla with just the pipe and filter is as fast as my banshee with hte reeds and head and toomeys. Zilla's are one fast machine...

josh
11-26-2002, 09:52 PM
that's one killer zilla in that pic alky, that thing would prob even scare me to ride cuz of all the torque on top of a powerband, nice:D :devil