PDA

View Full Version : need help...real newbie

dirtbike&quad
11-08-2007, 07:33 AM
DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT 2 STROKES. and i dont know a lot of terminology....
got that out of the way.
now...

i have a cr85. the kickstart wont even move down when kicked. What is the problem? What is the first thing i should do to start to get it running? what should i be checking for and looking for? I dont know what would look normal and what doesnt so please consider all this.
Thanks
Mike

rooster_20
11-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Could have your motor locked up if it wont even crank over?

400exrider707
11-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Well if the kickstarter wont budge, something is binding. This could be something relatively simple like a broken bolt or something in the kicker gears, or could be more serious like piston seized (which still isn't too bad) or a seized rod bearing on the bottom end.

dirtbike&quad
11-09-2007, 07:05 AM
what should i do? i have the manual so is there anything I can take apart and see if theres just a minor problem?
Thanks
Mike

bwamos
11-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
what should i do? i have the manual so is there anything I can take apart and see if theres just a minor problem?
Thanks
Mike

Pull the spark plug. Put it in fifth gear. See if it will roll. If it will roll and the motor will cycle, it's a simple issue. If not something in the motor or tranny is bound up.

dirtbike&quad
11-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Pull the spark plug. Put it in fifth gear. See if it will roll. If it will roll and the motor will cycle, it's a simple issue. If not something in the motor or tranny is bound up.

spark plug is out. i put it into fifth gear and without pulling in the clutch, the rear tire slides down the gravel, it doesnt roll...

fmftrx300ex
11-10-2007, 07:44 AM
are u siting on it when u try... try a paved surface or a hill

dirtbike&quad
11-12-2007, 04:45 PM
rear tire slides

wilkin250r
11-13-2007, 12:18 AM
You've tried it several times? Have you tried going backwards?

I hate to tell you, but it's starting to sound like your motor is completely locked up. It could be any number of issues, like a siezed piston, seized crank bearing, something stuck in the gears. There is also the possibility that it could be outside the engine, like the chain is rusted and siezed.

Check the chain and externals, eliminate that as a possibility.

Can you actually shift gears? Do you feel it engage each time? Can you get it into neutral?

dirtbike&quad
11-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You've tried it several times? Have you tried going backwards?

I hate to tell you, but it's starting to sound like your motor is completely locked up. It could be any number of issues, like a siezed piston, seized crank bearing, something stuck in the gears. There is also the possibility that it could be outside the engine, like the chain is rusted and siezed.

Check the chain and externals, eliminate that as a possibility.

Can you actually shift gears? Do you feel it engage each time? Can you get it into neutral?

havent tried several times, like 2-3 times. havent done backwards...

the chain, sprockets, and all that are brand spankin new, they have seriously 2 rides on it. i can shift and i can feel it shifting and i can get it into neutral no problem.

Big - D Racing
11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
your motor is sized and needs to be rebuilt, more than likely just a new top end (piston, bore and hone, gasket kit) possibly a rod but doubt it. I ran 2 stroke dirt bikes my whole life, seizures are common if you don't rebuild them every once in a while and maintain it along with the proper oil mixture. I rebuilt my top end every other season to be on the safe side and keep it running optium. Hopefully it's not your bottom end, that isn't as common, but costs more. You defnitely need to involve a shop to get the hone and bore done.

wilkin250r
11-14-2007, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
i can shift and i can feel it shifting and i can get it into neutral no problem.

When you're in neutral, can you spin the tires?

Of all the possibilities, the most likely is that the piston is siezed. If that's the case, it could be a pain in the rear to get the cylinder and piston separated without damaging any other components.

dirtbike&quad
11-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
When you're in neutral, can you spin the tires?

Of all the possibilities, the most likely is that the piston is siezed. If that's the case, it could be a pain in the rear to get the cylinder and piston separated without damaging any other components.

i believe that it does spin in neutral.

QIKLTR
11-24-2007, 10:53 PM
take off the exhaust
unbolt cylinder head and remove
unbolt cylinder head and try to remove
if it wont slide up over the piston its seized
use a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer to tap on the piston you should also spray some lubricant around the piston from the top and bottom