PDA

View Full Version : Building a Sub-woofer Enclouser

elite ATV1
11-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Just like the title says. im making my own enclosure it will be holding two 15 inch Rockford Fosgate P1S415 subs. It will be a sealed box. all i have to do is wait for the woofers to get here and then i can put on the top an rap her in fabric.. will post pictures tomarror. :macho

Robin Hood
11-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Good luck! I helped my friend build a box for his x-plodes. Make it look nice bro! :cool:

elite ATV1
11-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Im trying my best. i just dont know what i should cover the box in when im done?

ricksmx865
11-07-2007, 09:53 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&WebPage_ID=3

here ya go bro

good luck, let me know if ya got any questions

elite ATV1
11-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by ricksmx865
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&WebPage_ID=3

here ya go bro

good luck, let me know if ya got any questions

Thanks man. i have a 1200 watt amp to power these bishes how do u think its gunna sound?

Scro
11-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Make sure you build it to the spec of the speakers, the size of the box being the most important. A wrong sized enclosure can make a great sub sound like crap.

elite ATV1
11-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Front
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/berettaParts/SubWooferBox001.jpg

Right Chameber
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/berettaParts/SubWooferBox002.jpg

Left chamber
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/berettaParts/SubWooferBox003.jpg

All sides are sealed with liquid nails and screwed together. insides of box are coated with instant foam crack sealer. now all i have to do is wait for the woofers to get here and i can make the top and wrap it in fabric and mount the amp. will post more pictures when woofers get here... should be about 10-14 days.

Creech52
11-08-2007, 11:22 AM
You deff used the wrong wood. you want 3/4" MDF and then cover it with a sealer. I fear that OSB will fall apart on you. You did the right thing with the liquid nails and such. Also did you think about installing terminal cups? makes things easier. Also I would have waited for the subs before I built the box, unless you already got the box volume specs for those subs. Every subwoofer has set parameters for the amount of volume needed in the box to make them sound the best. Also certain woofers are made to use ported boxes, usually the SPL subs.
You can pretty much cover it with whatever you wish, from simple carpet or vinyl, or even some fiberglass and you can paint it to match the vehicle.

elite ATV1
11-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Creech52
You deff used the wrong wood. you want 3/4" MDF and then cover it with a sealer. I fear that OSB will fall apart on you. You did the right thing with the liquid nails and such. Also did you think about installing terminal cups? makes things easier. Also I would have waited for the subs before I built the box, unless you already got the box volume specs for those subs. Every subwoofer has set parameters for the amount of volume needed in the box to make them sound the best. Also certain woofers are made to use ported boxes, usually the SPL subs.
You can pretty much cover it with whatever you wish, from simple carpet or vinyl, or even some fiberglass and you can paint it to match the vehicle.

it is 3/4 MDF and im going to cut the holes for the terminal cups once they come in the mail. an yes i already have the specs got them off the website where im buying the subs. any other input would be appreciated

mineralgrey01gt
11-08-2007, 12:06 PM
thats the weirdest looking MDF ive ever seen in my life. You may want to double check that it is MDF because MDF isnt suppose to look like plywood...

TRX450RACER174
11-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Thats not MDF at all, thats plywood OSB.

elite ATV1
11-08-2007, 12:54 PM
*smacks head on desk*

Note to self: Smack the Chit out of the home-depot kid.

will that wood still work though?

440bigborekit
11-08-2007, 12:59 PM
yea man that is deffentely not MDF, MDF is liek a smooth tan color and dosent even realy look like wood, so yeaa go knock that kid outt lol and i have a feeling your just blow that wood apart atleast my subs would lol

Scro
11-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by elite ATV1
*smacks head on desk*

Note to self: Smack the Chit out of the home-depot kid.

will that wood still work though?

No, won't work at all

:D

If I were you, instead of starting over, I would fiberglass the hell out of that box. Lowes or Home Depot should have the resin and hardener that you need. Once that drys, it will be as strong, if not stronger than MDF.

Dune Surfer
11-08-2007, 01:01 PM
What was said earlier is true. The amound of airspace will deterimne the sound. So the size of the box is key. Also I'm a contractor and that is not MDF. That box will flex to much and fall apart.

ricksmx865
11-08-2007, 01:02 PM
go back.... talk to someone who knows what you need

get 3/4 mdf ( medium density fiberboard)

and get yourself a tube of liquid nails to seal it instead of that expandable foam

elite ATV1
11-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
What was said earlier is true. The amound of airspace will deterimne the sound. So the size of the box is key. Also I'm a contractor and that is not MDF. That box will flex to much and fall apart.

how quickly will it fall apart?... i built my other box out of plywood it has 1 12 and two 10s in it with 1400watts of power pushing it. and that hasnt fallen apart yet.. built it about 2 years or so ago.
:confused:

honda250xrider
11-08-2007, 01:15 PM
not only will it more than likely fall apart, you will not get the clearilty of sound from the osb board compared to the mdf. Start over while your still ahead.

Creech52
11-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Yes I will take credit for being the first to point out that was not MDF...haha.

Really I dont know how long it will last, its just shards of wood glued together and being a sealed box with large subs in it, it will being seeing alot of pressure.

I bought some 12"s cheap and needed a box and my friend had a box for 15"s so I just took the front off and when we went to get MDF they didnt have any so I got 3/4 ply wood, It started blowing apart around the corners and screws in about a month it really just fell apart and left a bunch of saw dust all over my trunk.

Check out a MDF box, lift it up and you will know why its much better than OSB. They even recomend you seal the MDF box because of its porosity...I could only imagine what the OSB is like.

I would def. build a new box from MDF (its like masonite) and its up to you if you want to use the box you have built already in the mean time. Just dont expect great sound and a long life from it.

fiberglass is deff. not something I would
use to increase structural integrity of a box, it will eventually crack once the wood underneath starts to flex and fail.
It is used as non-structural covering allowing you to have odd shapes or smooth shapes, you still want a solid base under it.

elite ATV1
11-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
not only will it more than likely fall apart, you will not get the clearilty of sound from the osb board compared to the mdf. Start over while your still ahead.

well why hasn't my other box fallen apart?

TRX450RACER174
11-08-2007, 01:39 PM
You said you other box is plywood thats why it hasen't fallen apart. OSB i would think would flex alot under pressure, just spend $30 bucks buy the MDF and redo it.

ny300exrider
11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
see if homedepot will work with you since the kid screwed you over, if not go get the mdf anyway....why are you opting to go sealed over ported?....i had a set of ma audio 12's in a ported box set to specs that me and my friend built sitting on the back seat of my truck and it set car alarms off...put the same subs in a sealed box and you could barely hear them outside of the truck...no exageration.

elite ATV1
11-08-2007, 01:53 PM
ok if i would go about porting it.. where would i place the ports and how many would i put in the box?

Hammer trx450r
11-08-2007, 02:00 PM
That osb will move and flex too muchm its not that it will fall apart(unless it gets wet). You NEED to make the box to the speaker specs, wait for the speakers then make the box. Use MDF

Hammer trx450r
11-08-2007, 02:01 PM
I think www.Crutchfield.com has alot of good info for you

Scro
11-08-2007, 02:02 PM
May I suggest another forum:D www.termpro.com They may be able to help you in designing your box for optimal performance. You can't just throw ports into a box. You have to determine port length, width, area...all of which the guys at termpro can answer.

Hammer trx450r
11-08-2007, 02:03 PM
A premade box is not that expensive compared to buying all the stuff anyway

elite ATV1
11-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
A premade box is not that expensive compared to buying all the stuff anyway

i would need a custom box built to house 2 15's so it wouldnt be cheaper so far i havn't spent over 25$

ny300exrider
11-08-2007, 03:13 PM
you would have to find the recomended port specs....me and my friend did two side ports(one on each end of the box) but you can also do one in between the speakers....

check these out:
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2395162/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2177688/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Hammer trx450r
11-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by elite ATV1
i would need a custom box built to house 2 15's so it wouldnt be cheaper so far i havn't spent over 25$

After you buy the new mdf and figure all this time in, 60 bucks isnt bad to get it right.

honda250xrider
11-08-2007, 06:08 PM
do u want to port to see bigger spl gains? u will reduce sq. with a huge port, some may argue that with a port for a perticular type of music it sounds better i disagree. What type of music do you listen to. These are the things you need to consider when building a box and to go ported or sealed. I have always recommened sealed boxes you will never go wrong there unless you are just looking for all out bass. What you need to start figuring out is if you want a downfiring box, rear and so forth. There is alot of things that will make up a good sounding system. I have had 2 tens that outperformed many 15's simply because of the install.

IOWAracer
11-08-2007, 06:26 PM
you need to first get MDF even though you sealed the box ply wood breath's cause its not a solid piece

you need to first divid the volume of the box by 1728 that will give you the amount of cubic feet you have and you need to find your specs on those subs or your gonna have too much or too little and its not gonna be at its full potential.....

I own a company that builds boxes sells subs and all your custom sound needs what ever you do if you do it again do it right and with those subs i wouldnt mess with ported box

Broc

elite ATV1
11-08-2007, 07:14 PM
ok thanks for all the imput. i will go buy MDF tomm an start over again. i will post pictures once i get the woofers an install them.