PDA

View Full Version : A few Hot Cams questions.

HondaEXrider22
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a few question bout a Hot Cams for my 2003 400EX(open WB e series pipe, re jetted, WB airfilter).

1. Would a Hot Cams be beneficial to my quad and if so, which one, and if so again, is it worth the money.

2. Could the average mechanic put one on.

3. What exactly do a cam do and what makes the Hot Cams different/better.

4. Would I have to rejet again for the addition.

BSTURDIVANT
11-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Hotcams are the best performance gains per $ spent after filter,pipe and rejet! More liift and duration-stage 1 works best in a 400ex!

honda8&3
11-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Ya hotcams are great for the money after pipe filter/jet. But with a high compression piston a hotcam would be more beneficial, and a stage one works best for less modded quads (engine mods):)

HondaEXrider22
11-08-2007, 10:57 AM
OK So it is a good upgrade and would i be able to install this myself? Is it very involved?

400exrider707
11-08-2007, 11:07 AM
If you have any mechanical ability its pretty easy to do, Hotcams website has a detailed instructions on how to do it on that exact motor. A cam can do a few things for you, hold valves open longer, open and close them at different times. Open them farther to change velocity. A hotcam is a very good bargain when it comes to dollars for horsepower. I too would recommend a stage 1 unless you plan on doing more extensive mods down the road. I put a stage 1 in mine when I had it. I would also suggest, being that you are that far into the motor (which still isn't ver far in) to drop in a standard bore (or overbore if your cylinder requires it) 11:1 compression piston. That with the cam is a great combo.

slow96hater
11-08-2007, 08:26 PM
if your putting it in a 400, make sure you have time for the bike to be down. the 6mm cam cover bolts like to strip threads out of the head, or even worse, the 3 long ones down in the cylinder. heli coilin aint hard, but it sucks.

JOEX
11-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by slow96hater
if your putting it in a 400, make sure you have time for the bike to be down. the 6mm cam cover bolts like to strip threads out of the head, or even worse, the 3 long ones down in the cylinder. heli coilin aint hard, but it sucks.
I've had the valve cover off at least three times...
The jug off at least twice....
Split the case once....
Numerous oil & filter changes....

Haven't stripped a bolt yet....

Knock on wood:p

11-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I've had the valve cover off at least three times...
The jug off at least twice....
Split the case once....
Numerous oil & filter changes....

Haven't stripped a bolt yet....

Knock on wood:p

same here

HondaEXrider22
11-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Also the bolts are soft, too. i broke an oil filter cover bolt with no effort, what a pain in the balls to find a matching one...

Ruby Soho
11-09-2007, 02:49 PM
i bought my quad used, so of course it hasnt been treated how i would have, but ive stripped 1 or 2 valve cover bolts, and broken maybe 3 (got them all out..) and there was a stripped one on the jug (outside).. just be careful and DO NOT over-tighten, tighter isnt always better