PDA

View Full Version : what would make u come to a shop??

braaap07
11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Ok I work at a Honda/Yamaha dealership and we are trying to come up with new ideas for promoting sales for our motorcycles, atvs, parts, and generators as well as service.

So basically I figured I'd put this on here and see what some of your opinions are...
What would be some ideas that would make you come to a shop to buy the above mentioned or have your bike serviced there as opposed to going somewheres else?? (besides obvious answers such as low prices)

example: Handing out coupons at races, events, etc.

400exrider707
11-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Promotional stuff at races, and the biggest thing you can do is treat customers excellent. Word of mouth alone is one of the most powerful tools!

PunkA$$
11-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
and the biggest thing you can do is treat customers excellent.

Definitely. Customer service is the most important thing in my opinion. That and fair prices. I only go to dealerships to get parts, never for service, and nothing pisses me off more than a dink behind the counter.

hondarider2006
11-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Promotional stuff at races, and the biggest thing you can do is treat customers excellent. Word of mouth alone is one of the most powerful tools!

I'll agree. If I can come into your shop, and you treat me like a normal human being, and don't mind helping me out...Then I would for sure be coming back. Hell the shop down here in phoenix is NO help. I walked in with some questions...and they were of no help, and wanted nothing to do with me. Word of mouth is huge man.

Just treat people with respect and your business will be booming in no time:cool:

And as far as flyers and what not, I am sure that would help as well. Try to get some banners up, maybe sponcer a few local riders...go from there:)

TRX450RACER174
11-07-2007, 01:19 PM
yeah read some of the posts on here about poor customer service in the service dept, on another note i like calling or going somewhere that has a sales staff that knows something about the stuff they are selling, any idiot can operate a computer or look in a catalog but when someone is also a rider/racer it also helps with promoting the product.

braaap07
11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Our customer service is pretty top notch, but we're trying to come up with some different promo ideas to attract customers. I was thinking the same about sponsering local riders or setting up a table at a few races.

TRX450RACER174
11-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by braaap07
Our customer service is pretty top notch, but we're trying to come up with some different promo ideas to attract customers. I was thinking the same about sponsering local riders or setting up a table at a few races.

I think that would be good, people need to know that you support racers cause most dealers shy away from doing work on race machines or helping people out that race.

416exfreak
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Keep parts in stock. My local honda shop never has anything, and i mean ANYTHING for my 400ex. Not even brake pads. And compete with the other shops for your customers business.

You have to make the customer feel wanted. And most of all, if a little kid comes in, dont be a dick and tell them not to touch the bikes and quads. I took my little cousin with me to the shop one day to get something for my old 85 and the sales rep screamed at him not to touch one of the bikes.

I have since taken my business elsewhere, after me and my dad had a few words with the sales rep, his boss and the shop manager about thier business etiquette.

yellowzo3
11-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah, keeping parts in stock is a good idea. I too have been to dealers and they have nothing in stock, and sometimes they say I have to spend at least a certain amount to order parts which sucks. If thats the case, I might as well just order a ton of parts on my own and keep them handy at home... Would cost less too. But I see your from New Jersey (I am too)... Definitely come on out to some of the tracks for practice days and everything. (I'm not sure if your allowed to sit and advertise there since there are ads on the fences for other dealers). But it would be cool to see people taking interest in local riders that don't have thousands to spend on traveling around and building a new quad every season. Some of the bikes have Don't Touch signs but most of the dealers around here let you sit on them if your not horsing around and are showing some maturity while your in the store. I think people that work in a dealership need to not underestimate customers as well. Sometimes they act as if your totally clueless as to what you want and try to get you to buy something else. The dealer I go to most of the time is great. Everyone is friendly and they almost always have what I need. Like stated before, treating your customers well goes a long way!

Toadz400
11-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
yeah read some of the posts on here about poor customer service in the service dept, on another note i like calling or going somewhere that has a sales staff that knows something about the stuff they are selling, any idiot can operate a computer or look in a catalog but when someone is also a rider/racer it also helps with promoting the product.

Yep. Probably the biggest reasons why I don't deal with dealerships is 1. Customer Service is horrible, 2. Prices, 3. Them trying to get you to buy things you don't need, 4. Not knowing what they're talking about but yet they think they're able to sell the product, 5. and finally products being in stock.

I think getting your name out there at races and other events will definitely help. Being friendly and knowledgeable is definitely, definitely huge! Even just talking to people about things not having to do with racing or parts really helps build up trust and friendship with them. If you can joke around with a person that you're helping it really helps develop trust and they won't feel like you're just trying to get money out of them. At all of my jobs instead of trying to shove a product down someone's throat I find out what they need, how I can help them, and along the way I'm joking with them or talking to them about other things and if there's anything else they need that I can get them. I've never tried to get someone to buy something they don't need or a more expensive part they don't need. I believe this has helped me become a successful salesman.

11-07-2007, 04:16 PM
customer service...
i walk into my dealership and everyone greets me and calls me by name...both the owner and the guy that sold me my 450r ask how the bike is doing...

the one guy behind the counter always calls my 6 yr old daughter "barney" because she tends to wear a lot of purple...they actually converse with her more than me...she left a stuffed animal in the bathroom one time, i had a message on the answering machine before we even got home that they had the animal behind the counter for her...

they ask about my father in law who bought a motorcycle from them and was hit by a deer while on it...

and it don't hurt that i get any where from 22-33% off of everything...

quad2xtreme
11-07-2007, 04:19 PM
I agree with keeping parts in stock. If you have to order...so can I at ~30% off list price from Service Honda. Doesn't even require a 2nd trip to your shop. Once you don't have simple stuff a few times, I just end up buying everything from the Internet.

Quickest way to draw in new customers who buy from you over and over? Sponsor monthly rides whether it is on the highway or trail riding. Take some time to checkout this dealership. They have their act together in many, many, ways.

link (http://www.powersportseast.com/event_calendar.asp)

Start renting street bikes if you don't do it now. No better way to convince someone to purchase his/her own bike than to let him/her rent one for a weekend.

Good Luck!!!

trx400EXtreme
11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
def. customer service. there is 2 shops around my area. at one of the shops im pretty much on a first name basis with a few of the poeple there. they always have parts, and if they dont have them, they will be in when they say they will, not 3 months later. which brings me to the other shop. i hate it:mad:. i long time ago i ordered an FMF Q2 S/O from them. they said two weeks... they lied. they claimed FMF put the pipe on backorder do to lack of that particular pipe. so we made some calls........ my dad somehow ended up talking to the VP of FMF racing. they said they had PLENTY of those pipes. turned out the shop was just to lazy to find a way to get one.

Bradracer18
11-07-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure how expensive this is.....but possibly try to sponsor(the main sponsor) a race....and promote well, while doing so....like good/cheap prices while at the race.

Make sure that if you want more business, you have all the bases covered now, in house. Are you guys set up to handle more business, and not make it any slower for the customer(or your older customers).

Thats another point, be generous and kind to your older customers, they have supported you the whole time and haven't walked away. I was pissed on once, and didn't appreciate it(after doing 10yrs at a place with our family)

criminalpoet
11-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Equipment and old guys lol. I just wouldnt trust a shop to work on my stuff that didnt have equipment like a lath, or milling machine, or boring machine, or presses. Nor would I trust a shop with nothing more than a bunch of young kids working there. I would trust the opinion of the salt n pepper bearded old guy over the opinion of the kid without even as much as a mustach on his face lol. Because if someone older is still in that line of work/business you can generally bet your *** that hes been around long enough to know whats what and whos who!

For promoting to equal success nothing is better than sponcered riders that are actually winning with your products and with your work! You need a name to have a name lol, and the only way to get a name is to make 1!

Aceman
11-07-2007, 05:01 PM
To go along with this topic, here's a question. When a dealership orders you a part, then finds out it's on backorder with no release date from the manufacturer(could take up to a year they tell me), why don't they call other dealerships in the area to try and get the part from them to sell to me? Other companies do this with their competitors to keep their customers, so what's the problem? I called a dealership 30 miles away and they had 4 of these in stock.:rolleyes:

You would probably have a customer for life if they knew you went out of your way like this to get a part for them.

firefighterjosh
11-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Strippers and free food:blah:

trx400EXtreme
11-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Strippers and free food:blah: that would keep me coming back lol.:D :blah: :p

tar
11-07-2007, 06:32 PM

damn you beat me to it:scary:

Toadz400
11-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I also agree with the shop having the right tools and the right people working there.

Might help to have an "Open House" where people are free to come and grab some free food and take a tour around the place, check out the shop and the tools, etc. Having a clean, organized shop with all the right tools makes a big difference also.

my88r
11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm opening my own parts repair shop and im 19 and i know my **** and had been to all my area shops they all lack knowledge on bikes and there mechanics throw things the list is too long from what ive seen. just have alot in stock and make everyone that comes in know that you have a good stock to cater the racers and recreational riders.everyone has different opinions on what comes to a shop age of people working there as long as they are knowledgeable and understand basic maintenance there fine just no 10 year olds working for you. having the best prices compared to all the shops in the area is always good.

Toadz400
11-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by my88r
I'm opening my own parts repair shop and im 19 and i know my **** and had been to all my area shops they all lack knowledge on bikes and there mechanics throw things the list is too long from what ive seen. just have alot in stock and make everyone that comes in know that you have a good stock to cater the racers and recreational riders.everyone has different opinions on what comes to a shop age of people working there as long as they are knowledgeable and understand basic maintenance there fine just no 10 year olds working for you. having the best prices compared to all the shops in the area is always good.

So how are you opening your own parts store when you're only 19?

CRich[814]
11-07-2007, 09:22 PM
free stickers and parts guys who ride.

my88r
11-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
So how are you opening your own parts store when you're only 19?

with the help from the county and its parts and repair. i already have my business licence and the federal id. made a offer on a place. and i got all the parts unlimited stuff and a bunch of other stuff i will carry.

Toadz400
11-07-2007, 09:30 PM
with the help from the county and its parts and repair. i already have my business licence and the federal id. made a offer on a place. and i got all the parts unlimited stuff and a bunch of other stuff i will carry.

Any schooling? Any partners in this business to help with financial and whatnot?

my88r
11-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Any schooling? Any partners in this business to help with financial and whatnot?

schooling is 10 years of rideing and fixing my bikes and ive been around the local shops seen how it works.i know what sells and what people want around hear.i know what prices need to be to sell. and i have a accountant to do the financial and taxes.

braaap07
11-07-2007, 11:05 PM

well... we do have a bikini bike wash in the summertime lol

criminalpoet
11-08-2007, 06:46 AM

Well when you actually are older you will know what im talking about lol. Sure, I knew quite a bit when I was 19 too, but not nerely as much as I know now at 32. And at 32 I dont know nearly as much as some of the old guys that I knowthat are in their 40's 50's & 60's. At 32 even I still have people whom I consider mentors. Having knowledge and having experience are two totally different things, old guys have them both.

Although I do wish you the best of luck! A couple of things that you do have going for you is enthusiasm, desire, and the want to be ethical.

54warrior
11-08-2007, 07:01 AM
I had three Yamaha shops within 1/2 hour of where I used to live.

Shop A: Also sold Honda and Suzuki. kind of small, not alot of inventory as far as new parts, apparel, tires, oil, lubes, or accessories. Great inventory of factory replacement parts. Somewhat overpriced. Most of the time, I end up driving the computer and showing them which part I need, because they have no idea what a swingarm bearing, clutch, or axle bearing is.

Shop B: Also sold Suzuki. Very small, all new machines were kept outside, in the elements!!! Basically no inventory of anything really. Dirty, dark, most of the parts on the three shelves were dust covered and were for machines at least 10 years old. Trouble getting to the parts counter because of all the parts you had to try not tripping over to get there. Knowledgeable about the parts though. You explain something to them and they understand.

Shop C: Also sold Honda and Suzuki. Large, well lit, CLEAN. Nice showroom. Many aftermarket parts on stock and on display. Lots of tire choices. Lots of hat/sticker/helmet/apparel choices, not just for ATV, but MX and street riders also. Replacement parts usually on stock. Reasonably priced, even labor. They even worked on my quad while it was in the bed of my truck once. Fairly knowledgable about the parts.

It's pretty obvious which shop I go to- Shop C.

my88r
11-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by criminalpoet
Well when you actually are older you will know what im talking about lol. Sure, I knew quite a bit when I was 19 too, but not nerely as much as I know now at 32. And at 32 I dont know nearly as much as some of the old guys that I knowthat are in their 40's 50's & 60's. At 32 even I still have people whom I consider mentors. Having knowledge and having experience are two totally different things, old guys have them both.

Although I do wish you the best of luck! A couple of things that you do have going for you is enthusiasm, desire, and the want to be ethical.

i always have been the kid to take advice from the older guys.i know i will learn alot in the years to come. but the kids i graduated from high school with dont have a clue how to start a business. im not trying to be cocky or anything. theres quite a few people i look up to you too. :macho

gamaster
11-08-2007, 04:56 PM
where is your shop exactly

ida400ex
11-08-2007, 07:33 PM
my local dealers costomer service sucks but they always have lots of stuff. the have gotten the metal malisha come and do freestyle events. this gets alot of people to come. also my cousin got invited to go to a red carpet event they just did. they made name tags and olny a few people were invited. the gave out prizes and had a big diner.

derekhonda
11-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Half naked women on a stripper pole would get my business.

braaap07
11-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by gamaster
where is your shop exactly

Lumberton, NJ

coryatver
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Salesman who know what there talking about and don't just make up stuff so they sound like they do, 20-30% off parts, good looking chicks working there, parts in stock!

fastyz85
11-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by braaap07
Lumberton, NJ

is your dealership Mt. holly powersports? If so I've been there and you guys already have a great buisness. About 7 months ago I got my topend done there and you guys did a great job. It was done fast, the parts and mechanic people deff. knew what they were talking about, and so far it hasn't blown up. lol Its good to know there is still some good shops in NJ because i live in mullica twp. and the closest dealership we have is Motion enterprises and they suck. just thought i would let you know and i'll still be a customer later on, even if it is a 35 -40 minute drive to you guys.:D

p.s. whats the youngest you can be to be a parts guy because I am going to be 16 in the summer and instead of working at McD's or shoprite i want to do something in the sport I love and I'm fairly knowledgable of parts even for being pretty young.thanks

11-14-2007, 01:44 PM
honda/yamaha shop would be sweet by our house. The two best brands in the business imo.