PDA

View Full Version : Problem knocking out bearings on front hubs

cbr929rr
11-07-2007, 05:30 AM
I have a factory service manual and they specify a tool to remove the bearings. I have tried three different punches and cant get the lip of the larger (rotor side) bearing, there is not enough space in between the spacer and the inner and outer bearings. I have filed the ends flat and I still can't get it.
Any sugestions?
Heating will expand both the hub and bearing and I will still be where I am at now. There is no rust on the bearings they just don't spin freely any more.

maxfior
11-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Do you have access to an arbor press? You might have to press the bearing out... While you do this if you are not careful it might damage the hub, so be ready to start looking for a good used one if all else fails.

Max

Pappy
11-07-2007, 06:57 AM
take a 1/2 inch deep well socket , install it from the rotor side and use it against the tapered spacer to drive out the outer bearing. once that bearing and spacer are out, use a much larger socket to remove the inner bearing.....entire process should take about 60 seconds

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222231

86 Quad R
11-07-2007, 08:41 AM
to add to what pappy said.

a lil heat on the hub will assist you in getting the stubburn bearings out easier. alum expans about 6X's that of steel.

cbr929rr
11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
what temperature is recomended, I would think 250-300 degrees might work of should i go higher.